Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #1

2000 34' Limited
St. Petersburg , Florida
Instinctive Sway Control - and trailer braking.

Before posting this I cleared it in detail with Janet so I would not be accused of selling a product. She wrote, "Our members would be very interested." I have patents "Emergency Steering Wheel Braking System" US 6,371,572 & US 6,609,768. For new vehicles with a tow package this would consist of a 360 degree pressure sensitive switch imbedded into the entire inner perimeter of the steering wheel. This would be coupled to a built-in-dash trailer brake controller. (It could also be adapted to plug into aftermarket controllers.) When sway occures a driver will instinctively squeeze the steering wheel hard! The driver's thumb(s) compress the 360 degree switch rapidly applying just trailer brakes without remembering what to do or searching. It activates from any of 360 degrees. (I add this because in another post I was asked, "Why do you think a driver would have his finger on the button? I had to reply, "There isn't a button!") Thus, a person with only one arm could operate the override lever. I've talked to disabled vets who really want this on their next tow vehicle. AIRBORNE SUB refers to my wife crashing our Suburban through another travel trailer at 65 mph and out the other side. A semi with 8 new boats, bow forward and doing about 85 or 90 passed us. The extreme turbulence overcame our heavy duty sway bars. Nobody had a bruise, bump or a scratch! Our trailer ended up over the floor of their's. (That's all that was left!) My wife said she could not take a hand off the wheel and didn't remember the override. So, I designed the steering wheel switch. I seek a mandate because the auto industry will, most likely, not voluntarily incorporate this safety device. I post this so members will know there is a practical solution to so many jackknife or rollover accidents. I've made prototypes. We had a 31 Hi-Lo and now tow a 34 Airstream #1448. Incidentally, are you puzzled about Ford's TowCommand instructions? Contrary to NHTSA recommendations for canceling sway and trailering experts Ford now advises braking gradually and states using the override is misuse and can cause instability of the trailer and/or tow vehicle. What?
AIRBORNE SUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Frank,

That's a really neat idea. Congratulations! I wish you success in your venture.

I hearby disclose my own invention, which is similar to yours, except the actuator for the trailer brakes is a pressure sensitive transmitter that fits between the user's butt cheeks. Similar principle, in that your do not need to take your hands off the wheel, and the reaction is purely instinctual.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #3

2000 34' Limited
St. Petersburg , Florida
Rivet Master, Thanks. Re: Your invention. I always say, "If it works don't knock it!" Airborne Sub.
AIRBORNE SUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
_

. , .
ohhhhhhhh rivet master.........

i've been laughing so hard since reading this earlier today....

my trailer brakes are locked up....

one benefit to your system.....the copilot could also be outfitted and help as needed....

cheers...
2air
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote