Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Installing a DirecLink Brake Controller in Lexus GX-460

I am installing a DirecLink brake controller on a Lexus GX-460.

Installation seems to be straight forward except for the ground wire. I have a Lexus/Toyota specific cable to connect to the GX's wiring harness under the dash that I have located. The DirecLink also connects to the GX's OBDII connector. My question is where should I connect the ground wire under the dash. The instructions say the white (ground) wire must be connected to the negative terminal of the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can connect the wire under the dash to establish a good ground? Has anyone installed a DirecLink Brake Controller in Lexus/Toyota that can offer any advice?

Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Have you been down under the dash to look yet ???? On my Dodge I already had the 4 wires there but no plug. I had them wired directly into my former controller and for the directlink I cut them and spliced them. The white wire was already grounded in my case. I believe that some manuf. already have a plug down there.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
On my GMC It was all plug and play. Just used the factory plug from the connection at the fuse panel to the direct link for the 4 pin jack pwr and gnd etc. then the plug in to the OBD11 port.
Contact Lexus for the 4 pin connector?
I have disc brakes and the AccuLink actuator and love my DirecLink controller. I used to have a Tekonsha P3 that was nice, however the DirecLink Rules.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Contact Lexus for the 4 pin connector?
I have found the connector under the Lexus dash. I also have a Lexus specific connector from DirecLink. Four wires connect from the Lexus to the DirecLink via the the connectors.. However there is 5th wire, a ground, from the DirecLink that needs to be connected to a ground on the Lexus. Apparently the Lexus/Toyota specific connector does not include the ground.

I have attached a photo of the Lexus specific wiring harness showing the connector to the Lexus on the left and the connector to the DirecLink on the right. Coming out from the connector to the DirecLink is a 5th white wire that should be connected to a ground on the Lexus. My question is where should I connect the white ground wire on the Lexus?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lexus Wiring Harness.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	182107  
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I am not familiar with that extra Ground wire. However, I would think that you can ground it to a close by frame/chassis location. Perhaps an existing screw or bolt.
That being said, contact DirecLink aka Tuson RV Brakes LLC customer support 1-800-968-8766 talk to them and see if they have a recommendation.
They are great. I messed up the glue on the screen mounting bracket and they sent me 2 new ones free.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If the Directlink people say it's OK there should be lots of choices below the dash for a nearby ground. I can't see that it makes any difference if it goes direct to the battery or not. But then again I'm no expert at 12v stuff either.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
If the Directlink people say it's OK there should be lots of choices below the dash for a nearby ground. I can't see that it makes any difference if it goes direct to the battery or not. But then again I'm no expert at 12v stuff either.
I called Tuson DirecLink this morning and spoke to technical support. They told me the ground wire may not be required. They said I could find out if it is required by connecting the DirecLink controller, starting the car, and pressing the brake to turn on the controller. After the controller comes on disconnect the OBDII cable. If the controller stays on the ground wire is not required and can be taped out of the way.

I will be trying it out in the next few days. I'll let the forum know how it goes.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post
I called Tuson DirecLink this morning and spoke to technical support. They told me the ground wire may not be required. They said I could find out if it is required by connecting the DirecLink controller, starting the car, and pressing the brake to turn on the controller. After the controller comes on disconnect the OBDII cable. If the controller stays on the ground wire is not required and can be taped out of the way.

I will be trying it out in the next few days. I'll let the forum know how it goes.
I successfully installed the DirecLink in our Lexus GX-460. It seemed to work with or without the ground wire connected. As there was a easy place to connect the ground wire I connected it.