Old 05-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Install Jordon Ultima BC on 04 Suburban

Just received my Jordon Ultima Brake controller and need to install it on a 2004 Suburban with the adjustable bake pedal. There is not much arm to work with above the pedal and none above the servo for the adjustable bake. Has anyone installed a Jordon on on a 2004 Suburanban, just like to know where you put the barke arm assemally.

Thanks

Don Hardman

Old 05-28-2004, 05:47 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Don, I installed mine on my van but didn't have the adjustable pedal or short arm. I know the folks at Jordon will give you good support if you call them.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:19 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, I am sure they willl and I plan on calling first thing Tuesday morning (after Memorial day holiday). I had hoped to get it installed and ready to go this weekend.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Well hello Don, welcome to this forum. This forum is really great, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 05:36 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

I went ahead ain installed my Jordan break controller and have everything hooked up and mechanically it looks fine. I plugged in the trailer wiring harness that
came with the 2004 Suburban in slot in the fuse box under the dash,
connected the red to red and blue to blue wires as instructed. I have a
question about the white ground wire from the brake controller. Accring to
the instructions it reads:

>Using the appropriate hardware, connect the white wire (ground) to the (-)
>terminal of the battery. (Warning units which are not grounded to the (-)
>terminal of the battery may not operate, or operate cording.

Does that mean that I should actually run a wire direct to the (-_ terminal
on the battery through the firewall, or can I attach The ground wire to
metal somewhere under the dash.

Thanks folks, have a happy and safe Memorial weekend.

Don Hardman
Old 06-02-2004, 06:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Good question, Don. I have a Jordan controller and connected it through the factory supplied trailer brake wiring warness that came with my Ford and it works fine. There seems to be no need to run a wire to the battery in my case. I hope your installation went well!
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:55 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I've been reading quite a bit on the Jordan as it is right up there with the Prodigy in overall customer satisfaction.

However, I've been reading that the Jordan might have some issues with hydro assit braking on the 2500 series Suburbans. I've also read that the units can be mounted to adjust pedals and the control box mounted up to 18" to the left or right of the pedal. I was thinking of mounting it (if I got the Jordan) inside one of the two open cavites in center lower section of the dash.

Anyway, the questions are:

Has anyone here mount one of these controllers to a 2500 Suburban that has the hydro assist brakes?

If so, what do you all think of mounting it in the center dash locations mentioned above?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:59 AM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Has anyone here mount one of these controllers to a 2500 Suburban that has the hydro assist brakes?

If so, what do you all think of mounting it in the center dash locations mentioned above?
Eric, I curious about the hydro assist and what it does. The Jordan uses brake pedal travel as its means to know how much power to send to the trailer brakes. The harder you step the more the cable is extended. Pretty simple in my book. You initially adjust the cable which affects the point at which braking starts as the pedal is depressed. I have mine set so that just a tiny deflection of the pedal starts the braking process. You also have a gain switch which again initially sets up the amount of voltage sent to the brakes on pedal depression. You make these two adjustments one time.

The way my dash in the van is configured, the center mount approach was my best avenue. I am just slightly to the left of center and have a clear view of the controller through the bottom of my steering wheel. It is also very convenient to hit the manual button if necessary. It fits flat against the dash panel which is slightly curved. Visually it is pointing up towards my view.

I'll try to post a picture when I get home from work.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 08-18-2004, 09:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
All hydro assist does is replace the vacuum assist. Why it would have any issue with the Jordan is beyond me. The connetion is at the arm of the brake peddle and that arm is the same with Vac assist. Instead of using engine vac for the asist it uses power steering pump hydraulic pressure. All the other parts including the master should be the same.

I think your getting a urband legend of trailering.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:57 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's possible that I am, but I was reading a few places and more than one person seemed to have issues with it on a Suburban. I might be interested in the Jordan, but one of the two folks on the open road forum said that Jordan himself took the unit back and gave a full refund. Could be that the user was just a crack pot and Jordan was just cutting his losses. Not sure. The user claimed that the hydro assist had more brake pedal movement than the vac assist. I have not noticed that on our Suburban with hydro assist brakes. Just wanted to know if anyone else knew of any issues with the Jordan in an '04 Suburban.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:31 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
pot The user claimed that the hydro assist had more brake pedal movement than the vac assist. I have not noticed that on our Suburban with hydro assist brakes. .
That could be a valid concern since obviously the Jordan controller is not designed for a long swing of the pedal. I think they don't want the cable being pulled more than an inch in total. That's one reason why the control module mounts higher on the brake pedal. The higher the mounting the less the cable travels when the pedal is depressed. The recommended distance from the pedal to the mounting point is approximately 6 inches.

I think I remember using a ruler while I depressed the pedal, with engine running, to get the optimum spot to mount the cable clamp on the pedal. That 6 inch point can be moved up or down if necessary.

I fine tuned this control by using the set screw which clamps the cable to the control module. You can get this adjusted to set the point where the brake control activates the controller at a very slight touch of the brake pedal.

If there was a return, I would assume that the owner couldn't get the control moduled mounted high enough on the pedal arm to get the cable to move the recommended inch or less. I can't think of any other reason why this would not work.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 08-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

The concern may stem from the fact that once the vehicle is stopped ,you can continue to press " with moderate force" the pedal towards the floor and the hydro-boost allows the pedal to continue moving till its almost bottomed out on the floor.This is not something people normally do ,I own 2 vehicles with hydro-boost and both do this.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My 2500HD has hydro-boost. No problems with my Jordan, love it. Much better than the Voyager it replaced.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
We just returned from a 3000 mile trip, the first long one with the Jordan installed. I had some problems with the cable housing (tube the cable slides through) slipping through the clamp that holds it to the bottom of the dashboard. Once the cable housing slips you've lost your trailer brakes. Has anyone else had this happen?
I think there must be too much friction with the cable sliding through the housing tube. The instructions state that the controller can be mounted up to 18" either side of the brake pedal. I'm well within that limit and the cable makes a lazy S bend as described in the instructions, but it still slipped. I'm going to see if I can find a mounting point closer to the centre line of the brake pedal and/or higher on the dash to reduce the curve, but it doesn't look easy to do that on my '99 Suburban.
As an emergency repair I cut a bit of rubber weather strip to put around the cable housing in the clamp and that held a bit better, but it still slipped eventually. I did take care to assemble the clamp just the way it was shown in the instructions.

Grant