Old 08-18-2004, 09:31 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tradewind
The concern may stem from the fact that once the vehicle is stopped ,you can continue to press " with moderate force" the pedal towards the floor and the hydro-boost allows the pedal to continue moving till its almost bottomed out on the floor.This is not something people normally do ,I own 2 vehicles with hydro-boost and both do this.
This is exactly what this guy on the open roads forum was talking about. If the pedal does go as far as it is anticipated and I understand the way the Jordan works, this could/would in fact be an issue with the Jordan with a vehicle equipped with the hydroboost brakes since the travel is limted and hence the concern. Granted I have not yet seen this happen on our new '04 Suburban 3/4 ton, then again, it only has 400 miles on it.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
That may be easily over come by a Spring. Enough tension under normal condition that the spring does not expand but once the cable runs out of travel it will have some give a the end instead of slipping the jacket in its retainer.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:34 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just an update. I have been messing around with the brakes trying to see how much brake pedal travel I could get.

Bottom line is that the brake travel is exactly as those have described. If the Jordan is based off the pedal movement, I can tell you first hand that the Jordan might not be the controller of choice in this application.

Additionally, I was reading on the truck forums that a guy that has hydroboost lost his powersteering pump....as a result, he also lost his power brakes!

After spending about a month looking at the controller issue, I've come to the conclusion that the Prodigy is the right way to go in this particular situation.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The limitation of the Jordan controller in a GM installation is the fact that the Jordan cable is designed to travel only 1 in through full application. There is no easy way to mount the cable pull to a GM brake pedal that will give this 1 in. of travel because of the location of the streering column support. If you mount the cable pull below the steering column suppot you will see close to 2 ins. of travel in full application of the brakes. This results in the trailer brakes being fully applied long before the truck brakes are fully applied, thus defeating the true proportionality of the Jordan.
To overcome this problem I made a pulley that results in a 2 to 1 reduction of the cable travel from the brake pedal arm to the Jordan controller. This makes the truck and trailer brakes work in complete sink. Take a look at my web page for some pictures.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 03:04 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
The limitation of the Jordan controller in a GM installation is the fact that the Jordan cable is designed to travel only 1 in through full application.
We need to be careful here not to say that all GM tow vehicles have this problem. In my case with the van, my Jordan has very good access to the brake pedal.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
To overcome this problem I made a pulley that results in a 2 to 1 reduction of the cable travel from the brake pedal arm to the Jordan controller. This makes the truck and trailer brakes work in complete sink. Take a look at my web page for some pictures.
I did something similar with a lever. I installed a small spring to make sure the controller would always return to the off position. I also moved the controller to the left side of the steering column. On this side I could mount it a little closer to the steering column and a bit higher. Also, since the cable enters the controller on the right hand side, putting the controller on the left side of the steering column makes for a staighter run. I think that the instructions say the controller can be mounted up to 18" either side of the brake pedal with the cable in a lazy S, but I had trouble getting it to work at about 12" to the side. Right now it's only a few inches off the centre of the brake pedal and it works well. The only drawback I've found to having the controller on the left side is that it's more likely to be in direct sunlight which makes it a bit hard to read.

Now that I've made these changes I'm happy with the way the Jordan works, but I think that if I had known I was going to have to go through all this I would have looked more closely at the BrakeSmart.

Grant
1999 Suburban 1500
1964 Overlander
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JordanInstallation2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	8955   Click image for larger version

Name:	JordanInstallation1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	8956  

Old 10-02-2004, 07:24 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to agree. Going into it, I have little desire to mod out the car to make the Jordan work. I'll be getting another Prodigy since it works extremely well with the Safari.

Thanks for all the input. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a new Prodigy at a good price, please post or PM me.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hydroboost

Twink - Re the loss of powersteering and brake assist. My Astro has the brake assist coming from the powersteering pump, that's the "hydro" part of the pump. They're one and the same.
Marc