Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ime-96724.html

FWIW The above is my effort at tying to document my work on my disc brakes. My truck and trailer brakes act together. My experience is limited to EOH and Maxbrake.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don.H View Post
Who sends you these recalls ? I have a 2005 Classic and the brakes have a lag between the tow vehicle and the trailer The brakes work fine once they are applied but there is defintly a time laps between trailer and tow vehicle . I called AS once and they just blew me off .
I found out about the recalls researching on this site. There is the Actibrake recall where a small hole is drilled in the motor/electronic casing and if brake fluid comes out then the Dexter unit is installed otherwise nothing else is done.

The second recall is for the brake lines.

I'm not sure if either of these recalls was for brake lag. Seems some of use have it and others don't. Maybe the difference between brake controllers.

I watched the Tekonsha video and for Prodigy 3 its showed in the menu setting a electric over hydraulic setting. The P2 doesn't have that.

Kelvin

Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I watched the Tekonsha video and for Prodigy 3 its showed in the menu setting a electric over hydraulic setting. The P2 doesn't have that.

Kelvin
Early versions of the P2 manual stated that the P2 did not support electric over hydraulic systems. The one I bought 3 years ago said it did on the box and the manual packed with it had removed the above statement and added a section on how to put it into E/H mode.

The way you can tell which mode it is in is to look at the display. Lower case c indicates E mode, upper case C indicates E/H mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2431572511.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	186604  
Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I've never set my Prodigy P2 for electric over hydraulic. I bought my P2 in 2010 when I bought the Casita. I downloaded the instructions and will try to see if my P2 has the Electric Over Hydraulic Mode. I've been towing my Classic on the electric brake mode. Lets see I've probably got about over 1000 miles of towing on it since I bought it on March 30, 2013 using the P2 in electric mode.

Funny, the dealer I bought my AS asked me about my controller but didn't ask if I had switched it over to to electric over hydraulic mode. I'm beginning to think dealers are only there to sell, forget about anything technical.

Kelvin
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #33
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Kelvin,

EOH brakes are the minority and IMHO subject to some assumptions including a one size fits all controller mistake. My dealer installed an incorrect one, just didn't know it required a compatible unt. I don't know what is different, but on this topic I want the controller mfgr to say, EOH OK.

Singer Goose added some good info above too.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Since my last post I was able to find the procedure to switch my Prodigy P2 to electric over hydraulic and the braking seems better now.

My next question has anyone tested the break away switch on a hydraulic system. I had the two recalls performed when I bought my Classic and insisted they replace the Actibrake controller with a Dexter 1600.

I have noticed the wires for the break away switch go underneath the propane tank cover and are getting pinched. I want to lengthen the wires to avoid that path. What gauge wire should be used?

The Dexter manual shows the yellow wire from the hydraulic controller connects to the break away switch and another wire from the switch connects to the battery but I think the break away switch on my Classic has a third wire.

Luckily where the wires are being pinched by the propane tank cover are where the wires from the switch are connected to the trailer with crimp connectors so the weight of the propane tank cover is resting on the crimp connectors.

Thanks

Kelvin