Old 06-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Good move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnritab
Damn this is fun.I can't wait to get start this project.Jim I will check those axles first thing.So far I've purchased the dexter electric actuator and the
prodigy.I did read more about the jordan after I bought the prodigy.However,
after looking at the install Im not sure that cable system will last on a daily
driver.Besides if I don't like it I'll change it. Im going to get started some time this week.I'll be in touch and I can't thank you enough!
You will be very happy with the disc brake set-up. I am far more in the know about the Kodiak system but have heard great things about Dexter's system as well. I look forward to seeing your progress. Dexter is the largest producer of trailer axles in the U.S.A. Additionally, they have over 300 dealers nation wide.

Great attitude partner!

Regards,
Henry

Old 07-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
Great thread,
I'm getting ready to install the dexter actuator on my 78 Excella, looking to hear from some who have done this and what I should look out for. Discs, pads, calibers and axels look to be in good shape.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
lv , Nevada
I just wired up my actuator yesterday and greased the bearings.My brakes look like thier in good shape too,the pistons moved easily and my pads look brand new.I bought a 20" brake line with an 3/16 adapter(trailer is 1/4 dexter is 3/16)and bent it to fit.I bought a prodigy controller however,the instuctions say its not for electric-hydraulic brakes.I talked to dexter and they say it will work.I think that its not for the original power booster type system that we have.I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richnritab
Thanks for the reply.If I go with an electric actuator( if I decide to keep the
hydralic system) which one is the best.Are there after market brake parts
that will work within this system.Im trying to set this up with the best brake
controller to the best actuator.Im mean the best working combination.Im
brand new at this.I don't know were to by parts.I've been to three places
here in las vegas and it seems they have to order parts.No one has been
very helpful.I can't wait to get on the road but I want to do it right.thanks
again.

We have and have had, parts for the original disc brake system as installed by Airstream.

Should you however have a major failure with the booster assembly, you can change it out to a new style actuator and still keep all of the original disc brake parts.

Contrary to some opinions, disc brakes are far superior not only to hydraulic brakes, but extremely so to electric brakes.

Changing from disc back to electric brakes, is like taking a walk around town, backwards.

Andy
Old 07-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I'd be interested to know if you get the Prodigy working with the vacuum over hydralic set up. When I tried it, the controller thought it was disconnected although it would activate the brake. Tekonsha says that the contoller pages the brake system every three seconds looking for the correct current draw. The little solenoid in the hydravac doesn't give the right answer and so the Prodigy assumes a disconnect condition. I'm saving my pennies for a Brakesmart.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
My question is;
I ordered the Dexter unit to convert to electric/hydraulic brakes, since the trailer has batteries do I still need a seperate battery for the brake away switch?
My thinking is that it is not needed, I'm looking for input from others.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 PM   #35
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzarbeiter
My question is;
I ordered the Dexter unit to convert to electric/hydraulic brakes, since the trailer has batteries do I still need a seperate battery for the brake away switch?
My thinking is that it is not needed, I'm looking for input from others.
No, I powered mine up from the trailer batteries. As the batteries are charged by the vehicle during transport they are alyways fresh and ready to serve the load. Make sure you pull a large enough conductor to your actuator and you will be good to go.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Thanks Buttercup, thays what I thought.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
lv , Nevada
Excella Gm I got rid of the hydra-vac system and put in the dexter 1600 and my ? was about the compatibility of the prodigy.I read a little more about the actuator and from what I understand it will work with about any brake controller.I still have'nt contacted dexter again but I will.Im pretty sure it will work.I also connected my brakeaway to the trailer batteries.I used a tekonsa brakeaway switch.Just in front of my jack there is a 5/16 inch post about 4 inches tall so I put a 5/8 socket over the post then I enlarged the hole in the switch,trimmed the tab in back so it would swivel then set it down the post to the socket.Then drilled a 1/8 hole right above the tab through the post and put a 1/8 cotter pin in it.Make sure you drill from front to back that seems to be more stable.Worked great.Just an idea.Good luck!