Old 12-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1960 26' Overlander
In the North , FRANCE
Question How to order the good spare parts ?

Hi everyone,

I have to replace drums, brake shoes and bearing but I've seen it exists some models.

What measure I have to take for the drum ? I think it's the interior ?

For the bearing, only the exterior ? I've seen some website but it doesn't exist parts especially per year or model, only some sizes / measures.

My 60' Airstream has 6 bolts.

Thank you for your help

1960 Overlander
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe
GaŽl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I would just call Inland RV and tell them what you have -- they will have what you need.

Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You can buy the complete backing plates cheaper than individual pieces, any trailer parts dealer can supply the parts, backing plates are around $55 and the hub, drum with bearings are around $110 for 12"...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream running gear replacement parts are NOT like the automotive parts. Especially when dealing with models that are decades old. Airstream made running changes when parts ran out.

So getting what you want (Especially outside of the states) is a little different than knowing year make and model.

Your 1960 version likely had lug studs and not lug nuts. The brake magnets are likely round and this design has been replaced with oval magnets.

Unless you have to have exact copy, following the recommendation above is a good start. Get a "loaded" backing plates. (One that has the shoes/magnets and mechanicals attached) And a drum/hub (with bearings) of the correct diameter. (I believe that to be a 12" drum. If the new drum has studs in it you will need new lug nuts. And frankly it will be easier with studs and lug nuts.

In the states these can be generic parts from a good trailer store. As they are readily available and are not that complex. Auto Safety House LLC ¬Ľ Parts This is one from Phoenix.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Team
, Minnesota
I'd try the guys at Boopark.
If it's a single axle you can buy new "loaded" brake assemblies that will bolt right onto the existing axle, you'll just need bearing inside diameters, to get the correct inner and outer bearings.
markdoane is online now   Reply With Quote