Old 10-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
from my experience going the backway of BigBear CA. I used lower gear, and I set the brake controller to max so when I did have to touch the brakes, the trailer did most of the work while the engine did the steady work down the hill. there were some V type turns, I was going about 5mph on those and did most of my down hill speed at less than 30mph. as most have said, slow is your friend.

"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #16
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
One little 'trick' that I use on a downhill, is to turn on the TV air conditioner on full blast.
The compressor helps with engine drag.
The older cars worked better than the newer ones because on the newer cars, turn on on the AC will open the throttle a little to prevent engine slowdown caused by compressor drag. 'Doesn't help tho for engine braking.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I have driven that route many times, as the Leadville area is my favorite part of Colorado. I have pulled a 5th wheel with a GMC 1500 V-8 and two Airstreams with a Ford F-250 V10 gasser. No problem on those downhills, as long as you are reasonably prudent. The air resistance will hold you back some and if you don't let your speed get way up, you shouldn't have a problem. I have been on a few downhills that were a bit hairy, but that route isn't among them.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
dkottum hit all the nails on the head, in proper order, leaving out only ONE MAJOR THING: keep your patience.

You (or anyone else for that matter) can make almost the entire remainder without even touching your brakes if you use your head and the engine compression.

Just don't get in a hurry.....

Kent
Houston
Old 10-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Sloshegoes

Timely subject for us as we are leaving Ridgway SP tomorrow and have three pretty high passes between here and Durango on 550 in Colorful Colorado. Thanks for the tips. So far so good thru SD, the Bighorns in WY through YS and up to Glacier then down through the Bitteroots into ID along the Salmon River then express thru Salt Lake and NE Utah to Colorado's Roaring Fork Valley and now in the San Juan and Cimarron Mtns.

Any tips for New Mexico while heading back to Georgia? Thanks. 😊
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
METAIRIE , Louisiana
Does dropping into L1 cause future tranny damage on these downhills? TV is 2006 Tacoma, pushed by 5000# 20' Airstream.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #21
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Sloshegoes

Timely subject for us as we are leaving Ridgway SP tomorrow and have three pretty high passes between here and Durango on 550 in Colorful Colorado. Thanks for the tips. So far so good thru SD, the Bighorns in WY through YS and up to Glacier then down through the Bitteroots into ID along the Salmon River then express thru Salt Lake and NE Utah to Colorado's Roaring Fork Valley and now in the San Juan and Cimarron Mtns.

Any tips for New Mexico while heading back to Georgia? Thanks. 😊
Old 10-03-2016, 12:10 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
Thank you all for information

As usual, Forum members provided useful thoughts about dealing with AS realities.

Good advice, darsea, to never let the trailer push the TV rear end sideways.

I got into a fish-tail situation years ago, and it still gives me the shakes. A professional truck driver provided a simple way to get out of it: "Stretch it out.
Apply trailer brakes, and moderate acceleration to straighten out the rig, then back off the gas and stay on the trailer brakes to slow down."

I found more valuable information in the owner's manual, when I re-read it with a long curving downhill fresh in mind. As always, RTFM.

Thank you all for sharing your experience and insights. jsutro
Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
There's nothing that compares to a diesel TV with a tow/haul function on along with an exhaust braking system. Anything else in the Rockies is extremely dangerous. Gas engines lack the torque to slow you down and brakes fade rapidly.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
It would be useful for posters to mention the year of the tv. Towhaul, exhaust brakes, etc vary greatly from year to year model to model. My 06 dodge has a tow haul that does no more than adjust shift points, has no engine brake and only a four speed tranny. The new vehicles are way ahead of just a few years ago, for the better, but referring to the new systems and their use can be confusing or even dangerous for older tv when referring to downhill braking. On downhills I shift out of overdrive and slow down well before starting down, but use of the tv brakes is absolutely necessary. Even downshifting again is not enough for not having to use the tv brakes. The exhaust brake feature and the new tow haul mode on the newer trucks is fanrastic.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT with grade braking. This 5.3L V8 has plenty of torque to slow us down. We drove this past summer in some 8-9% downhill grades and I only had to touch the brakes briefly a few times. I really only did that to make sure they were working, and to slow slightly before some turns. I was impressed with how well the grade braking works.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Did you use tow haul and does it include some kind of engine braking?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Did you use tow haul and does it include some kind of engine braking?
If that question was directed at me, yes, I always tow in tow/haul mode, and the grade braking I mentioned does work both in and out of tow/haul mode.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Sea level, thanks, all this newer stuff amazes me..