Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
How long do electric brakes typically last?

Best I can figure I am the fourth owner of a 76 Sovereign based on paperwork I found in trailer and two different Wally Byum numbers on trailer (4 and 5 digit).

When I got it I had to do a lot of work on it and before putting it on the road I pulled the wheels down, cleaned the bearings and repacked them with Grease, Aircraft Wide Temp Range (Aeroshell 33) which won't melt till 450F. Same grease wheel bearings on B52s are packed with. It is also good to -55F.

I estimate I have pulled the rig about 7000 miles in two years. The shoes were estimated at 50% when I packed the bearings and literally at the last trip when I pulled in the yard they quit working. Controller now says I have a open circuit.

I looked up under and brake wiring is all in tact. I have been in a lot of rain on last trip and they did good in rain but it was suggested I might have dampness in plug ins so I removed them and dried them with 90 lbs of air. Next I unhooked AS and hooked up to another utility trailer with 8000 lb axle and everything worked great, no OL reading, blown fuses etc. Thus I knew everything on 2500 HD was good to go.

Of course it is impossible to say if the backing plates have ever been replaced and I am planning on the whole replacement package and just wondering how long others have had electric brakes last on the road?

The best thing I have ever done is replace the AS rims with 16" heavier rims from Tredit Corp and 10 ply LT tires. Made a tremendous difference and now very few trucks passing me affect the AS and it can't be felt in tow vehicle. Prior to that I spent 50% of the time watching rear view mirror and bracing for the next 18 wheeler to pass us.

I now have the rig up on jack stands with all four off the ground and will pull all the wheels this afternoon for a looksee. I fully expect to see at least one very worn magnet.

I plan on replacing drums as well and figure they are at the max diameter already. Anybody know max diameter of the AS drums?

I assume all this stuff is now made in China and I am wondering about keeping the USA bearings (assuming the same bearing sizes) as I have heard a couple of guys say they have had Chinese bearings fail. Anybody got any experience with late production brake parts? Or are the Chinese bearings a different size?

Thanks guys.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Best I can figure I am the fourth owner of a 76 Sovereign based on paperwork I found in trailer and two different Wally Byum numbers on trailer (4 and 5 digit).

When I got it I had to do a lot of work on it and before putting it on the road I pulled the wheels down, cleaned the bearings and repacked them with Grease, Aircraft Wide Temp Range (Aeroshell 33) which won't melt till 450F. Same grease wheel bearings on B52s are packed with. It is also good to -55F.

I estimate I have pulled the rig about 7000 miles in two years. The shoes were estimated at 50% when I packed the bearings and literally at the last trip when I pulled in the yard they quit working. Controller now says I have a open circuit.

I looked up under and brake wiring is all in tact. I have been in a lot of rain on last trip and they did good in rain but it was suggested I might have dampness in plug ins so I removed them and dried them with 90 lbs of air. Next I unhooked AS and hooked up to another utility trailer with 8000 lb axle and everything worked great, no OL reading, blown fuses etc. Thus I knew everything on 2500 HD was good to go.

Of course it is impossible to say if the backing plates have ever been replaced and I am planning on the whole replacement package and just wondering how long others have had electric brakes last on the road?

The best thing I have ever done is replace the AS rims with 16" heavier rims from Tredit Corp and 10 ply LT tires. Made a tremendous difference and now very few trucks passing me affect the AS and it can't be felt in tow vehicle. Prior to that I spent 50% of the time watching rear view mirror and bracing for the next 18 wheeler to pass us.

I now have the rig up on jack stands with all four off the ground and will pull all the wheels this afternoon for a looksee. I fully expect to see at least one very worn magnet.

I plan on replacing drums as well and figure they are at the max diameter already. Anybody know max diameter of the AS drums?

I assume all this stuff is now made in China and I am wondering about keeping the USA bearings (assuming the same bearing sizes) as I have heard a couple of guys say they have had Chinese bearings fail. Anybody got any experience with late production brake parts? Or are the Chinese bearings a different size?

Thanks guys.
It's better if you replace the entire backing plate.

They cost a little more than just the shoes or magnets.

But today, there is a better backing plate that is self adjusting.

No more a need to woory about adjusting them because of wear.

They cost a little more than just the standard electric brakes, and are receiving a great reception from the owners.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It took about 20,000 miles to run through the last set of Kelsy Hays.backing plates. I replaced them with Dexters and have another 15,000 miles on them. Make sure the surfaces of the drums are nice and smooth or you will be replacing them a lot sooner.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Andy, that was my intention, just do everything. I am glad you mentioned self adjusting brakes as I meant to include that question.

I realize everyone is different on brakes. For instance I have a buddy who had to do all the brakes on his wife's car every 12,000 miles as she drove with left foot on the brake and right on the gas.

Me I will get about 75,000 on pads with wife driving on our Durango. She is very good on brakes. It now has 217K on it and on second set of rotors and third set of pads.Last time I went with metallic pads.

Is there any better brand than another insofar as the loaded backing plates and drums?

Dwight, many thanks for that mileage figure as well. Kind of tells me I got more than I should have out of them being well used when I got them.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
USA manufactured bearings are available from your Timken dealer.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Andy, that was my intention, just do everything. I am glad you mentioned self adjusting brakes as I meant to include that question.

I realize everyone is different on brakes. For instance I have a buddy who had to do all the brakes on his wife's car every 12,000 miles as she drove with left foot on the brake and right on the gas.

Me I will get about 75,000 on pads with wife driving on our Durango. She is very good on brakes. It now has 217K on it and on second set of rotors and third set of pads.Last time I went with metallic pads.

Is there any better brand than another insofar as the loaded backing plates and drums?

Dwight, many thanks for that mileage figure as well. Kind of tells me I got more than I should have out of them being well used when I got them.
We finalized on Dexters.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
I think Timken is still US made. The bearings I have are (last time I looked) great shape and if they fit I may just ease out the cones and reuse my cones if they still look good.

There was no indication they had ever become hot.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hummer,
Sounds like you have original axles on your Sovereign. For not much more than the cost of four drums, backing plates and bearings etc., you could have brand new fully assembled axles. Cost varies from different axle suppliers, of course. Good luck with your project.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I am just finishing up a full replacement of my Chinese backing plates and assembly with Dexter self adjusting. I never could get the other ones adjusted the way I wanted.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Top,
This is getting to be a interesting and educational experience!!!!!First off thanks much for the advice and help on the phone. You gave me lots of good dope to file away.

My friend told me to bring it up to his shop so I did and it is now sitting on 10 Ton jack stands and after church I pulled the hubs yesterday. The magnets are a disaster. Three of the four have waves worn in them. The fourth one is worn down and almost through the screws. It appears to be copper residue on two of them.

The good news is the Timken bearings all appear to be in great shape so I will keep them as spares.

Based on Top's advice and experience I am now inclined to go for new axle assemblies and now am in the process of considering either replacing backing plate assemblies and drum/hubs or doing a whole new axle assembly.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
How do I determine the bearings to buy? I have the Airstream part #s, but don't have the Timken #s.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Here is the link to the Timken numbers. Northern Illinois » Maintenance
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Thanks, That looks like it gives me the info I wanted.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote