Old 04-15-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
How are elec. trailer brakes adjusted??

I am familiar with adjusting drum brakes on cars and trucks, but how do I properly adjust the electric brakes on my trailer??

Old 04-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Like the brakes on many cars. Their is a small oval plug you remove and use a flat screwdriver to turn a star like wheel to set the shoes. Your AS manual tells you which direction to turn it to loosen or tighten the shoes against the drum.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Should the tension on the electric trailer brake shoes be set to where they are just beginning to grab against the drum - similar to how I would set up the drum brakes on my truck??
Old 04-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
Site Team

, Minnesota
Dexter recommends tightening until a 'strong pull' is felt, then backing off 6 to 8 clicks.

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/059_045_00.pdf
Old 04-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Cool Brake check

Wahoo! It's been a long winter and I finally took my baby out for it's first test drive...

I was going to start a new thread when I found this recent one. It answers one of my questions but I'm also wondering how to adjust the brake controller in the truck.

My Argosy has brand new brake assemblies and newly turned drums. A friend gave me her old brake controller to use. I can stop the truck with the trailer brakes alone but how strong is the right pressure?

The function of the slide control on top of the brake controller is obvious, but what does the thumb wheel underneath control? How do I set that?

Thanks!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	11575   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic---2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	11576  

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
Site Team

, Minnesota
http://www.tekonsha.com/instructions...0Mark%2012.pdf

See page 4 & 5
Old 04-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #7

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Excellent info Mark, Thanks. I thought that I had looked at the web site for the directions months ago but you found the archives.

Ponz, When I adjusted my new brakes I had the wheels off the ground so I tightened the shoes until they grabbed and then backed them off untill they didn't rub anymore. I did it that way so that I could spin the tire to listen for rubbing of the shoes on the drums. And, Yes, I bet it was about 6 clicks of the wheel back out again. Today when I test drove the camper the brakes felt real strong, but I've never had a trailer with electric brakes before. After a test drive I thought that the drums felt too hot but then I drove again for a while at highway speed and coasted to a stop and the drums were cool...so I know that the shoes were not dragging.

Best of luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 04-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Brake controller

Steven - take my info with a grain of salt - I've got a Prodigy, and every controller is different. The wheel is the "gain" control, which controls how much "energy" is supplied to the magnet onthe brakes when the controller senses that you have applied the brakes (usually a pentometer). My instructions say to apply gain (on my old controller, I started at half way, on my Prodigy, I started all the way off or down), coast at 15mph, and apply the trailer brakes only with the slide control (this is your emergency brake lever or manual brake lever). Per instructions, with full on, the brakes should just lock up at the end. Adjust the gain to get this amount of braking...ie, in a panic, your brakes will not lock up until the end.

My Prodigy is pretty much set and forget, but I do play with the gain a tad depending on road condition (wet vs. dry). My old Hayes controller, however, was terrible, it locked up on the bumps, down hills, etc. I could never get it adjusted right. You should also have a lever or arrow on the side of the controller (depending on thecontroller, the Prodigy does not if I remember right), that sets the pentimeter at "zero" for straight down. This would also affect my braking on the Hayes if not set right.

If it's working well now (and it sounds like it is), I'd forget about fiddiling with it too much, other than knowing what affect your gain wheel has.
Marc
Old 04-17-2005, 07:41 AM   #9

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Hi Marc, You're exactly right After reading the directions I see that the controller has a pendulum that swings and senses the strength of your stopping power (forward negative G-force?). Since the brake pedal can't send variable info to the brake controller it uses the pendulum instead. The wheel on the bottom levels the pendulum.

Thanks for your help

Steve