Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Currently Looking...
Brighton , Uk
Hiring a towing vechile

I'm looking at buying an airstream and importing to the uk
Thing is I don't want to change it!
I want to use electric brakes with a tekonsha.
Will this work if I use a hire van as a tow car?
Goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are multiple combinations of AS (hydraulic / electric) and TV (many ...). Assuming you have an electric brake AS (a pretty good bet) and a modern TV, yes, an after market brake controller will do the trick. Are there UK specific legal issues? I have no idea.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Currently Looking...
Brighton , Uk
UKnlaw says the unit needs to be mounted on the trailer not the TV.
I just don't think we need the TV more than once or twice a year and found a local company offering a tow vechile for next to nothing for a weeks hire.

I just don't understand how the electronic braking mechanism works and whether it would be 'transferable' to different tow vechiles?
Old 07-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
In a conventional electric braking system, you have a brake controller mounted in the tow vehicle, and the power to run the electrical brakes comes from the tow vehicle (except in the case that the break-away emergency braking kicks in), and is controlled by the brake controller, which is hard-wired into the vehicle's system.

So, if electric brakes are rare in the UK, then it is unlikely you will find tow vehicles that are set up with the electrical brake controller described above, and wiring one in may be trivial, or may be a headache.

Now, a solution might be to use a Tekonsha Prodigy wireless brake controller. The way these work, you have a box that mounts on the tongue of the trailer, and the umbilical from the tow vehicle attaches to that box. The electricity to power the brakes comes from the tow vehicle, but the mechanism to send that power to the brakes happens in the tongue mounted box (sort of an electric inertia measuring device). The Tekonsha manual brake actuator is in the cab of the vehicle and just plugs into the cigarette lighter. This system is specifically designed for situations where you have a single trailer, and multiple potential tow vehicles--like you are looking at with your rented tow vehicle situation. So as long as the rental vehicles supply power and have the 7 way connector compatible with the Tekonsha, you ought to be in business.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
I just don't think we need the TV more than once or twice a year and found a local company offering a tow vechile for next to nothing for a weeks hire.

I just don't understand how the electronic braking mechanism works and whether it would be 'transferable' to different tow vechiles?
This video may help:
https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/90250.html
Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The idea of a brake controller is that the brakes are applied gradually on the trailer each time the driver decides to stop. A varying amount of current is put through the brake solenoid windings to accomplish this. The controller in the TV is what does the "varying". It's not a "all or nothing" process. Properly modulating the trailer brakes manually is a pain. Applying brakes manually in the middle of an emergency stop is an un-needed distraction.

In the US, properly functioning brakes have been a requirement for a very long time. (We had to scrap a trailer when those rules came in). I'm sure this is the case in the UK as well. You can't even get a full sized trailer registered in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania without a usable brake system. They gets inspected and re-certified on a yearly basis. There may or may not be similar requirements in the UK.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
You want Tekonsha RF

Quote:

Goat,

It's a pretty easy way to go renting TVs & avoid the "care & feeding" of a TV, to rent for limited use. We've been doing so since 2012, but are looking to buy one now that we'll be using ours more, & our TV rentals are not cheap ($120-130/day, $800-1000/wk for Ford F250 & other 3/4 ton crew cab pick-ups at Enterprise Commercial Truck Rental - one of only a couple here who allow towing nowadays).

Get the Tekonsha RF wireless, which the unit mounts on the trailer A-frame, & you plug the pig-tail wire handheld control unit into the ciggy lighter of any TV. Check on any issues with that unit in the UK/Euro market cars with Tekonsha tech people, but I think it works the same.

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...RB508pViEKmVBf

The TV will have to have pin-connector for 12v power + lights, brake lights & signals - but not for brake controller (7th pin/blade), so the Euro 6-pin connectors should work, but 4 pin is only lights so won't, not sure about UK/Euro 5-pin. Check also with Tekonsha tech to be sure.

We've been renting TVs here in SoCal since 2012 using our Tekonsha RF with no problems on our 1960 Avion T20, & I know others with AS that use them too.

The only issue which you may encounter, is needing to use an adapter from the Tekonsha RF's 7-blade USA connector, to your TV's 6-pin, which I think there are Curt, Tow Master, etc. who make them here in the USA for folks with Euro SUVs/Cars that have the Euro spec connectors. You may also may need the Curt or other Light-out circuit bypass adapter at the TV plug, in order to eliminate conflicts of the light-out function with the RF's operating the brakes & allowing the RF to "Pair" with the TV. Tekonsha &/or eTrailer should be able to help with both of those items.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html

Also eTrailer has another adapter that is for the light-out (we got the above one), plus some help articles on the issue with Euro TVs.

They aslo carry a wide range of the other 7-blade to ?-pin adapters - & they sell the Tekonsha RF, as well as all sold at many other vendors. So price check & price match with them or whomever.

There may also be Euro &/or UK versions of the Tekonsha RF &/or other similar trailer mounted brake controllers available over there & usable with less fuss.

Cheers Mate!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
I'm looking at buying an airstream and importing to the uk
Thing is I don't want to change it!
I want to use electric brakes with a tekonsha.
Will this work if I use a hire van as a tow car?
What's a "Vechile"??
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Currently Looking...
Brighton , Uk
Thank u

Thanks everyone
Some really helpful responses
Good to know other people have made it work
Thank u
Old 08-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Currently Looking...
Brighton , Uk
can I ask - how do u make sure, with a hired tow vehicle, that the level can be altered so that the trailer is level......
Old 08-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
can I ask - how do u make sure, with a hired tow vehicle, that the level can be altered so that the trailer is level......
Get an adjustable height draw bar
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...t_Distribution

The position can be changed to raise or lower the ball height. There are many different types and sizes. This is just one example. The normal space between the holes is in 1" increments.