Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Hensley Tru-Control Brake Controller

I just know I will be flamed for buying something so expensive, but I want to share our experience with the Hensley Tru-Control Brake Controller. We just used it for 5 weeks on a trip to and around Montana and back to California. It functions wonderfully! Essentially just as advertised. The effect is like having no controller or, at least, not having one you are aware of. The trailer brakes worked in complete unison with the towing vehicle brakes.

We have used a Prodigy for years, but AirForum discussions made me consider trying something else. The Jordan sounded interesting, but cannot be installed satisfactorily in our tow vehicle (yes, I checked very carefully). I looked at the Hensley controller and thought, "Yikes, what a price." Then I thought about how much we like our Hensley Hitch and McKesh mirrors and took the plunge. Many of you will find this hard to believe, but we have no regrets. My wife remarked that she noticed how smoothly and positively the controller was working even when sitting in the passenger seat.

No, I do not work for Hensley
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Tim A.

I'm glad to hear it worked well for you.

I've read about them on rv.net and the guy over there didn't have such a great experience with his.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A.
I just know I will be flamed for buying something so expensive, but I want to share our experience with the Hensley Tru-Control Brake Controller.
I don't think anyone has a beef with expensive items being praised, it is the saying using anything else will end in disaster that gets some people (yes, I am one) irked. In fact, I am glad to hear it has worked well for you. Could you share what the cost is and maybe more detail on what makes it superior to the prodigy? I would be interested since I had thought Prodigy was billed as the king of the mountian. Oh yeah, what was the installation like?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
It's $375.00 on sale from Hensley.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
It's $375.00 on sale from Hensley.
Wow, not afraid to put a price on their stuff are they. I hadn't heard of their controller before. Must be pretty slick if they are going to be competitive.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
they had to develope a brake controller to prevent their trailer hitch throwing your truck rear end out, (jack knife) on a curve, in the rain, under tranny braking, going down hill, while towing a 34' as.

this has happened to me twice.

I complained but they didn't respond.

drive safe
letsgo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
letsgo123,
I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I've done all the things you describe many times without a problem. Maybe your Hensley or brake controller are not setup correctly. I had to change the settings on our Prodigy to compensate for the HA. Do you have a reliable dealer (Hensley or AS) that you can have check it out? I've called Hensley tech support a couple times during our learnig curve and had them call back and walk us through setup. I'll be checking out their brake controller too.
-KL
Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
letsgo123,

We never had the problems you describe when we used the Prodigy controller (for a period of about 5 years). Of course, our trailer is short, but so is the wheelbase of our towing vehicle, hence the Hensley hitch.

In purchasing the Hensley Tru-Control (the latest version, I think they had another type called the same a couple of years ago), we were not dissatisfied with the Prodigy. We were hoping for something which performed better and, for us, that has happened. Does it compensate for some characteristics of the hitch? Perhaps the lack of what some have called the "Hensley bump" is one of those.

An example of what we like with the Hensley Tru-Control is the smooth, easy braking on a downhill freeway offramp when slowing from highway speed to a dead stop. The Prodigy did that okay, but there was always the feeling, for me as the driver, that we were a little on "the edge." Setting the Prodigy higher did not change that feel, but nothing ever really happened so I cannot consider that a problem with the Prodigy. It is just that I feel more comfortable now.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I echo silverback's sentiments. I now have about 15,000 miles of experience with the Hensley. We just completed a three month 9,486 miles trip over the summer with a majority of those miles in mountainous terrain. Absolutely no problems such as you describe.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
this was a demo using the dealers vehical their 34' trailer in Ontario Canada the drive took place in the rain and in each case the truck rear end jerked sideways . Keep in mind that when the hitch is in the free or unlocked mode your trailer ball joint is free to flot 12" , 6" either side of the center line of the vehical with a dynamic swinging weight of 10,000#.

drive safe
letsgo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Tru-control.........worth-it?

[quote=Tim A.]I just know I will be flamed for buying something so expensive, but I want to share our experience with the Hensley Tru-Control Brake Controller. We just used it for 5 weeks on a trip to and around Montana and back to California. It functions wonderfully! Essentially just as advertised. The effect is like having no controller or, at least, not having one you are aware of. The trailer brakes worked in complete unison with the towing vehicle brakes.

We have used a Prodigy for years, but AirForum discussions made me consider trying something else. The Jordan sounded interesting, but cannot be installed satisfactorily in our tow vehicle (yes, I checked very carefully). I looked at the Hensley controller and thought, "Yikes, what a price." Then I thought about how much we like our Hensley Hitch and McKesh mirrors and took the plunge. Many of you will find this hard to believe, but we have no regrets. My wife remarked that she noticed how smoothly and positively the controller was working even when sitting in the passenger seat.

No, I do not work for Hensley [/quote

Well Iv'e been so wrapped up in getting the Hensley Hitch installed and

roadtested that I sorta forgot about the Tru-control.

When I ordered the hitch they offered the controller on "sale" for $329.

Took the AS on it's shake down cruise yesterday, couldn't be more pleased

with both items. Easy 4 wire install, simple configuration, and I like the

constant voltmeter display when not braking.

Did not have to adjust the gain at all during the trip dispite the varying road

conditions, hilly country two lanes and Interstate. None of the infamous

Hensley Push.

Expensive...kinda,

worth-it, I think so.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-26279-24.html