Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Hensley or Disc Brakes?

Currently I have a 34ft slide out, selling it and getting a 25ft FB. Towing with a GMC2500HD Duramax...I'm a huge hensley fan, but think with the small trailer I really don't need it. Thought I'd invest in disc brakes instead.
any point to having either with this rig setup?
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
No doubt other aspects to consider, but my initial thoughts would be that if you already have the Hensley and like it, why not keep it? You're gonna need a hitch anyway.

With respect to the brakes, I haven't followed the threads too much, but have they not had a fair amount of trouble with them? Maybe it is all sorted out now. The standard electric brake arrangement may not be quite as good from the standpoint of brake fade, but it is pretty bulletproof in design and well proven. No doubt with your truck you've already got lots of braking power!

There, look at all the money you saved to buy a couple of nice LDC tv's or a Honda gennie or whatever!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy. We have towed Lucy over 70,000 miles. The 25FB is a great floor plan. We have camped in Lucy for 830 night. We tow Lucy with 2500 Suburbans.

If I had to choose between disc brakes and the Hensley on Lucy, I would definitely keep the Hensley.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
I vote you keep the Hensley, and spend your money on a MaxBrake controller. An awesome combination! (imho)
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Hang on to the Hensley.... I think there is a thread re: disc brakes that may help you with that decision.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think I'd take the Hensley as well. It's tough to quantify, but I think I'd rather have the stability and keep the stock brakes. My theory on this is the Hensley may keep you from being in a situation where you might need the disk brakes.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I'll offer an alternative opinion, as seems to be my habit : I'd suggest that w/ a 3/4 ton truck and a 25' Airstream, braking quickly and surely is more critical than improving handling.

My feeling is that rapid accident avoidance (often modeled by speed made good through a slalom course) is largely oversold for truck and trailer combos - the length and high polar moment just makes such antics really impractical. I installed disk brakes on our Tradewind, and really really like the braking performance; I've had to hit the brakes hard once due to someone's pulling out right in front of us, and I think the truck & trailer stopped faster than the truck would have done alone. The four truck Michelin radials we use on the trailer don't hurt there either. Having the trailer not trying to push the truck down the road during a hard stop also makes the truck & trailer handle much more smoothly if you're also swerving at the same time.

Of course, if you already own the Hensley and like it, I'd leave well enough alone - but if you were going to spend $$$ on safer towing, I'd think seriously about disc brakes.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Brewster , New York
Did you sell the larger trailer yet? If not please email me djangology@earthlink.net . Thanks
django-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I am with Bart on this one. I tow my 24' TW with an 08 Tundra and handling does not appear to be a problem, so I don't think that a Hensley would help me much. But I really don't know because I have never towed with one. The current drum brakes are adequate, but I believe that braking performance and maintenance would be much better with disc brakes- It is clearly much better on our cars. I plan to install disc brakes on my TW soon when I replace the axles. I will try to get at least some seat of the pants braking performance numbers after I install the new disc brakes.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Our 2005 25FB ready to camp tips the scales at 7400#. A 1966 24 Trad Wind probably weighs at least 2000# less than that.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
I'll offer an alternative opinion, as seems to be my habit : I'd suggest that w/ a 3/4 ton truck and a 25' Airstream, braking quickly and surely is more critical than improving handling.

My feeling is that rapid accident avoidance (often modeled by speed made good through a slalom course) is largely oversold for truck and trailer combos - the length and high polar moment just makes such antics really impractical. I installed disk brakes on our Tradewind, and really really like the braking performance; I've had to hit the brakes hard once due to someone's pulling out right in front of us, and I think the truck & trailer stopped faster than the truck would have done alone. The four truck Michelin radials we use on the trailer don't hurt there either. Having the trailer not trying to push the truck down the road during a hard stop also makes the truck & trailer handle much more smoothly if you're also swerving at the same time.

Of course, if you already own the Hensley and like it, I'd leave well enough alone - but if you were going to spend $$$ on safer towing, I'd think seriously about disc brakes.

- Bart

That is definitely a fact that it will stop the tow vehicle faster with the trailer on than it can by itself. I had 79 with vacuum disk brakes and it would stop really fast and that was before the days of anti-lock brakes on tow vehicles. I was pulling with a 1080 3/4 ton Suburban. Living in a metro freeway area I have had to use anti lock on my F350 with full pedal and you think you are going to take out the car in front but the last second or two it stops faster than your mind had computer it to take. The disk brakes on an airstream have the same effect, or at least mine did.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Our 2007 25FB with drum brakes would really yank on the truck with the controller set high. I bet that 2500HD stops good too. Maybe keep the trailer simple with drums and add an exhaust brake to the 2500HD for those long down grades?
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
You don't need either.

Hi, I don't think you need either the Hensley Arrow or the disk brakes with the 25'er. But if you have an insecure feeling towing without the Hensley as some people do, you better stick to it. And you already have one. As for disk brakes, until they make them work as well as the ones on your tow vehicle, I wouldn't have them. I would rather have less braking all of the time with drum brakes, than to have better braking most of the time with disk brakes. Too many failures, lock-ups, and no activation problems with the trailer disk brakes. Too many problems posted on this forum about non-working and failed systems with trailer disk brakes to list here. Do a search. [my opinion]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #14
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Too many failures, lock-ups, and no activation problems with the trailer disk brakes. Too many problems posted on this forum about non-working and failed systems with trailer disk brakes to list here. Do a search. [my opinion]
This has not been my experience. However, one does need to adjust the brake controller properly, and of course the trailer braking system needs adequate power, proper bleeding, etc.

We only have a few thousand miles on our disks, and one year... but I really like having them there. I also very much appreciate the fact that they are self adjusting, since that leaves more time for either camping or other Tin Pickle projects.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #15

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Spring , Texas
Hensley

As a newbie to towing, I'd like to hear more about the Hensley.
Griffsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
The are many threads here on the Forums about the Hensley Arrow Hitch System also referred to as the HAHA. You should also read up on the ProPride which is a similar hitch system.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I've only towed our 28' International a few hundred Kms so far but my initial impression is that the trailer's stock brakes are pretty good. Hitched up, I stop pretty well, which is good for my confidence! I don't have a Hensley, either, but if I had money to spend I might get one over disk brakes. But then that's just my opinion.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think I have to go with the majority here. ALthough I dont own one and if I had to choose between the two. Id go with the Hensley. The Regular electric brakes do a good job. THEY are easy and fairly inexpensive to repair.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
In your first post you state, "...I'm a huge hensley fan, but think with the small trailer I really don't need it." This led me, and others, to assume that you already have a Hensley. Is that the case?

If you already own a Hensley and are considering selling it, buying another hitch, and then investing the remainder in disk brakes that's one thing. I'd keep the Hensley if I already owned one.

If you don't have one and are facing an either/or buying decision, that's something different.

I just wanted to make sure we were all going down the right path.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Disc Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I don't think you need either the Hensley Arrow or the disk brakes with the 25'er. But if you have an insecure feeling towing without the Hensley as some people do, you better stick to it. And you already have one. As for disk brakes, until they make them work as well as the ones on your tow vehicle, I wouldn't have them. I would rather have less braking all of the time with drum brakes, than to have better braking most of the time with disk brakes. Too many failures, lock-ups, and no activation problems with the trailer disk brakes. Too many problems posted on this forum about non-working and failed systems with trailer disk brakes to list here. Do a search. [my opinion]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
Hitches of the HAHA type and disc brakes both fall into the "top of the line" or "cutting edge technology" categories for us, yet both have been around for a while for use on trailers.

Good sway control is a very important consideration when towing. Having it will protect you from situations that otherwise might lead to loss of control of your vehicle. You have no way of knowing when, nor how often, these situations will occurr. Keep your Hensley.

Neither drum brakes nor hydraulic disc brakes are completely trouble free.

AS did a poor design job, and unfortunately, choose a problematic hydraulic actuator for many of their hydraulic disc brake installations. This should not keep you from considering hydraulic disc brakes. There is good, reliable, equipment on the market for installing hydraulic disc brakes on an AS. Hydraulic disc brakes, as a general braking system, are well proven to be superior to drum brakes in terms of stopping ability and maintenance required.

Electric drum brakes are not without problems. Do a search on this, or other, forums. There are mechanical and electrical issues to deal with when using drum brakes that can cause problems just as severe as those encountered with hydraulic systems.

A thought to keep in mind with essentially all forums is that we tend to get feedback from those of us that have had a problem, and not hear from the, often much larger, section of the population that had no problem.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote