Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #15
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Spring , Texas

As a newbie to towing, I'd like to hear more about the Hensley.

Griffsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The are many threads here on the Forums about the Hensley Arrow Hitch System also referred to as the HAHA. You should also read up on the ProPride which is a similar hitch system.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I've only towed our 28' International a few hundred Kms so far but my initial impression is that the trailer's stock brakes are pretty good. Hitched up, I stop pretty well, which is good for my confidence! I don't have a Hensley, either, but if I had money to spend I might get one over disk brakes. But then that's just my opinion.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think I have to go with the majority here. ALthough I dont own one and if I had to choose between the two. Id go with the Hensley. The Regular electric brakes do a good job. THEY are easy and fairly inexpensive to repair.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
In your first post you state, "...I'm a huge hensley fan, but think with the small trailer I really don't need it." This led me, and others, to assume that you already have a Hensley. Is that the case?

If you already own a Hensley and are considering selling it, buying another hitch, and then investing the remainder in disk brakes that's one thing. I'd keep the Hensley if I already owned one.

If you don't have one and are facing an either/or buying decision, that's something different.

I just wanted to make sure we were all going down the right path.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Disc Brakes

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I don't think you need either the Hensley Arrow or the disk brakes with the 25'er. But if you have an insecure feeling towing without the Hensley as some people do, you better stick to it. And you already have one. As for disk brakes, until they make them work as well as the ones on your tow vehicle, I wouldn't have them. I would rather have less braking all of the time with drum brakes, than to have better braking most of the time with disk brakes. Too many failures, lock-ups, and no activation problems with the trailer disk brakes. Too many problems posted on this forum about non-working and failed systems with trailer disk brakes to list here. Do a search. [my opinion]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
Hitches of the HAHA type and disc brakes both fall into the "top of the line" or "cutting edge technology" categories for us, yet both have been around for a while for use on trailers.

Good sway control is a very important consideration when towing. Having it will protect you from situations that otherwise might lead to loss of control of your vehicle. You have no way of knowing when, nor how often, these situations will occurr. Keep your Hensley.

Neither drum brakes nor hydraulic disc brakes are completely trouble free.

AS did a poor design job, and unfortunately, choose a problematic hydraulic actuator for many of their hydraulic disc brake installations. This should not keep you from considering hydraulic disc brakes. There is good, reliable, equipment on the market for installing hydraulic disc brakes on an AS. Hydraulic disc brakes, as a general braking system, are well proven to be superior to drum brakes in terms of stopping ability and maintenance required.

Electric drum brakes are not without problems. Do a search on this, or other, forums. There are mechanical and electrical issues to deal with when using drum brakes that can cause problems just as severe as those encountered with hydraulic systems.

A thought to keep in mind with essentially all forums is that we tend to get feedback from those of us that have had a problem, and not hear from the, often much larger, section of the population that had no problem.
F. A. Meloy
2006 30' Classic
Dexter hydraulic disc brake system
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:49 AM   #21
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'd choose the sway-eliminating hitch despite the insecure feelings of those who've never used one. And drum brakes are out of adjustment from practically the first time they're applied. Both upgrades are worth the few dollars.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
have both on my 31 classic towing with a dsl excursion with engine braking.after towing trailers for 30 years would like to have both.night and day difference from traditional setup.makes the towing totally stress free inmho.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2011 34' Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
With such a stout TV, I think the Hensley is much more valuable in that you know it eliminates the mere possibility of sway. You'll never NEED disc brakes with your setup so long as the trailer brakes are maintained properly but the Hensley is a great safety net.

I tow a 2011 Classic 34 with a 3/4 ton Suburban and have zero issues with braking performance (triple axle drum on trailer).

Knowing how the Hensley and PP work, I would stick with the hitch and do the disc upgrade when I felt like throwing money at the trailer.

Let us know what you decide!

2011 Classic Limited 34 #25
2011 Suburban 2500
ProPride 3P
solobaric is offline   Reply With Quote