Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
HELP with Brakes- Wrong TV? Wrong AS?

Help- Wrong TV?Wrong AS???
Our 2006 AS Classic had an actibrake that chose to intermittently give no brakes or lock up with no warning, so changed to Brakerite EHB. Have a 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie with ITBC both 7pin and 4pin hookup-and ideally would like to have both for all of my trailers. Now, when we hook up the Dodge to the AS, the trailer brakes will work with the slide on the controller, but not with the brake pedal. Spoke to one AS owner who had problems with their Ford and AS with Electric over hydraulic, and they re-programmed their controller to recognize Electric over Hydraulic brakes -- their problem was solved. Took the Dodge to the dealer to assure that the ITBC was working properly and to see if it was possible to change the programming to EOH, but they don’t seem to be the sharpest pencils in the box- no help there. So next option- install a P3 with Dodge wiring adapter. Has anyone done this? The ITBC has two molex wires coming out of it- one to a square-ish box plug that I assume the P3 will plug into- the other seems to go to merge into the wiring harness.
  1. Has anyone out there done this P3 installation with Dodge Ram with ITBC already installed?
  2. Is the second wire coming out of the current ITBC for the 4-way? Or is it somehow connecting to the Dodge computer?
All help is greatly appreciated-we love both TV and AS and really would like them to get along as friends.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Hope this helps...Tekonsha Wire Replacement for Dodge Vehicles Tekonsha Brake Controller 3020-P

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I just had a Prodigy installed in a 2011 Dodge Laramie Longhorn. The only problem I've had is the display says the brake controller needs servicing. Taking it into the Dodge dealer tomorrow to get this fixed.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Since you are so close, try JD Sanders in Alachua. They can wire it up correctly, and make it safe. They just fixed the controller on my Dodge 3500 that the car dealer messed up. They mentioned that some Dodges have a dif type of wiring system. Call Mark. jim
Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Thanks to all- we talked to Dodge and they have to send a request to the Main Dodge folks to disconnect the factory installed brake controller software from the onboard computer (liability reasons)- then the Dodge dealer can do that (I hope),then we do the plug and play P3 with adapter for the Dodge 2010. At least that is the way it is SUPPOSED to go- will post the results when we get there.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
The saga continues- Took the Dodge to the dealer to de-program the installed brake controller--got the P3 with wiring harness for Dodge 2010 Ram- The $#@!!&^% thing came with male plug to match up with the male plug in the Dodge---THAT won't work--plug and play it ain't. Maybe SOMEDAY we will get it right--guess we will be cancelling the reservations for the weekend at the Springs. Beginning to wonder if we needed to change out the Actibrake at all or if it was a function of the wrong controller to begin with. The theme of the evening is "not happy"- hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
I am happy to report that we are fully functional. Turns out that the factory installed brake controller had a jump cord that was female at both ends so used that to plug into the plug-and-play adapter for the Dodge wiring to the P3. We have been out twice since hooking it up once on a short camping trip and the other from Fla to NC and back. Everything worked fine...will never know if the Actibrake was faulty and it was just a matter of factory brake controller being unable to talk to EOH brakes- whatever it was, we are glad that we didn't throw the baby (AS) out with the bath water and persisted to make it work. Thanks everyone for your help and input.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
GREAT NEWS!!!

Happy Streams....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote