Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Help!!!!! Trailer brakes locking up

Today, we took our brand new 2017 23d to a nearby college parking lot, so I could practice pulling it. We had no problem hooking it up at the house and no problem driving four miles to the college. The problem came when we turned the car off (2016 Expedition with integrated break control set at 4.5) in order to switch drivers. Once we switched and turned the car back on, the trailer breaks locked up and I was not able to pull forward. The sensors all indicated that the trailer was all hooked up and operational....but no forward or backward movement. So we turned the car off and unplugged the 7 way cable to the car and disengaged and reengaged the break a way switch. Reconnected the 7 way cable and still the trailer breaks remained locked. It was not until we unplugged the 7 way cable, that we were able to unlock the trailer breaks. We had no other choice but to drive back home...very carefully...to our house and make some phone calls. We called both Colonial and our local dealer, but were unable to get answers or they were closed. My husband called Coachnet and they said they felt it was possibly the break a way switch was at fault. They are talking about sending out a flat bed truck to tow our new Airstream to our AS dealer here on Monday. We also have an appointment for our Expedition to make sure it is not something to do with the wiring in the car. We drove all the way back from NJ (700 miles) a month ago with no problem and even today to the college with no problem. It happened between the time it took to turn the car off and back on again. Anyone have any other possible ideas? We have our first "shake down" trip coming up in a month and want to feel good about the fix.
gldnpupper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If only one wheel is locked it could be a broken brake drum return spring.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Definitely have this fixed professionally. My layman's opinion is there is a short somewhere in your 7-pin connector such that it's reading your TV brakes are on full. Since it stopped after you unplugged the 7-pin, I don't think it's the emergency brake pin. Again - I'm not a professional so have it looked at by someone who is.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I had an experience somewhat like you describe when towing my '02 Classic 30'. We stopped for fuel and a lunch break. After lunch and restarting the truck the trailer brakes wouldn't release. I, too, tried the break-away switch with no results. It turned out to be the brake control module in the truck, a 2015 F150. I had a warning on the dash saying something like "Trailer brake fault". Did you notice that on your dash when hooked to the 7-way cable? Your problem sounds very much like mine.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Gee, I'd be wanting a new trailer, if locking it up, broke the trailer.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
I had an experience somewhat like you describe when towing my '02 Classic 30'. We stopped for fuel and a lunch break. After lunch and restarting the truck the trailer brakes wouldn't release. I, too, tried the break-away switch with no results. It turned out to be the brake control module in the truck, a 2015 F150. I had a warning on the dash saying something like "Trailer brake fault". Did you notice that on your dash when hooked to the 7-way cable? Your problem sounds very much like mine.

Dan
Dan, after I posted this, my husband took the Expedition out of the garage, on his way to Home Depot and he said that a message came up on the dash..."Trailer wiring fault". The trailer was not even hooked up to the truck at the time. Do does this mean that it seems to be an issue with the Ford and not the AS? Hope, Hope!!!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Gee, I'd be wanting a new trailer, if locking it up, broke the trailer.

Cheers
Tony
Thanks Tony! Hubby would never let me live down the fact that I broke the new AS!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Aftermarket or factory integrated brake controller? I had a Tekonsha P3 controller go berserk on me once and stopped proportional braking. It would just apply full power to the brakes at the slightest touch of the pedal. Rather violent experience at 70mph.
The problem you described is definitely NOT the breakaway switch. It's something in the tow vehicle that is dumping full voltage to the brake wire.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I've seen a number of posts on different forums regarding the Ford controller. Seems most of the time they are great, but occasionally that brake fault warning light comes on and it is a pain to figure out the cause.
My recollection of the solutions has often come down to a bad wire connection somewhere. Seems like it is often on the trailer in the connections to the brakes.

Not sure why your husband saw the warning when disconnected, though I have noted that on my F150, the truck will automagically attach my default (and only) trailer when I hook up. However, it will not go back to a "not towing" status when I disconnect. I have to manually go thru the menus to do so. So MAYBE your Expedition still "thinks" the trailer is still attached and kept the warning active.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I think "Trailer wiring fault" is what the dash info said on my F150. And the trailer did not need to be hooked up. It is a module that's fairly easy to replace inside the dash somewhere. It should be covered by warranty. So - yes - a Ford problem, not the Airstream!!

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Banner Elk , North Carolina
I had a similar problem with our 2016 F150. Turned out to be a faulty controller in the truck. We were in Lasy Days in Tucson and the local Ford dealer replaced the part.
Cooktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Don't know about the Expeditions brake controller but on my Ford Truck the owners manual says that the integrated brake controller does not work with electric over hydraulic brakes.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Here's the culprit-

Must likely anyway. It happened on our 2015 F-150 about a thousand miles from home. The factory brake controller is notorious for this problem. The output adjustment switch has most likely failed. DO NOT HAVE YOUR TRAILER TOWED! I doubt there's anything wrong with it.
Ford sucks. We left out truck at Hennessy Ford in Dunwoody GA and it took hours on the phone with them, and I had to get a regional manager from Ford involved too. What should have taken hours took days!!!
Our friends were able to loan us a truck but we had to spend an entire day backtracking to swap trucks.
I now travel with the entire tow controller kit ($150). By the way... did I mention how CRAPPY Ford was?
MarkFinATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
I think "Trailer wiring fault" is what the dash info said on my F150. And the trailer did not need to be hooked up. It is a module that's fairly easy to replace inside the dash somewhere. It should be covered by warranty. So - yes - a Ford problem, not the Airstream!!

Dan
Thank you so much for this information. You have given us much hope. We will find out tomorrow about the Ford and put off "the flat bed truck" until we know for sure. I would hate to see my new baby carted off like that. I would much rather my husbands car be at fault! Then I can't be blamed for "breaking the new AS"....something I would never be able to live down.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFinATX View Post
Must likely anyway. It happened on our 2015 F-150 about a thousand miles from home. The factory brake controller is notorious for this problem. The output adjustment switch has most likely failed. DO NOT HAVE YOUR TRAILER TOWED! I doubt there's anything wrong with it.
Ford sucks. We left out truck at Hennessy Ford in Dunwoody GA and it took hours on the phone with them, and I had to get a regional manager from Ford involved too. What should have taken hours took days!!!
Our friends were able to loan us a truck but we had to spend an entire day backtracking to swap trucks.
I now travel with the entire tow controller kit ($150). By the way... did I mention how CRAPPY Ford was?
Yes...Mark...I believe you may have.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnpupper27 View Post
Today, we took our brand new 2017 23d to a nearby college parking lot, so I could practice pulling it. We had no problem hooking it up at the house and no problem driving four miles to the college. The problem came when we turned the car off (2016 Expedition with integrated break control set at 4.5) in order to switch drivers. Once we switched and turned the car back on, the trailer breaks locked up and I was not able to pull forward. The sensors all indicated that the trailer was all hooked up and operational....but no forward or backward movement. So we turned the car off and unplugged the 7 way cable to the car and disengaged and reengaged the break a way switch. Reconnected the 7 way cable and still the trailer breaks remained locked. It was not until we unplugged the 7 way cable, that we were able to unlock the trailer breaks. We had no other choice but to drive back home...very carefully...to our house and make some phone calls. We called both Colonial and our local dealer, but were unable to get answers or they were closed. My husband called Coachnet and they said they felt it was possibly the break a way switch was at fault. They are talking about sending out a flat bed truck to tow our new Airstream to our AS dealer here on Monday. We also have an appointment for our Expedition to make sure it is not something to do with the wiring in the car. We drove all the way back from NJ (700 miles) a month ago with no problem and even today to the college with no problem. It happened between the time it took to turn the car off and back on again. Anyone have any other possible ideas? We have our first "shake down" trip coming up in a month and want to feel good about the fix.
I had the same problem at A KOA in Brighton Ontario.
Turned out to be the trailer brake controller on the F-150.
A trip to a Ford dealer in Trenton Ont .
They replaced the controller, and told me that Ford had a Service Bulletin out on it.
I got their last unit in stock.
My Ford dealer in Chatham Ont. Was unaware of any service bulletin on the controller. He is now.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
I've seen a number of posts on different forums regarding the Ford controller. Seems most of the time they are great, but occasionally that brake fault warning light comes on and it is a pain to figure out the cause.
My recollection of the solutions has often come down to a bad wire connection somewhere. Seems like it is often on the trailer in the connections to the brakes.

Not sure why your husband saw the warning when disconnected, though I have noted that on my F150, the truck will automagically attach my default (and only) trailer when I hook up. However, it will not go back to a "not towing" status when I disconnect. I have to manually go thru the menus to do so. So MAYBE your Expedition still "thinks" the trailer is still attached and kept the warning active.
Thank you Sam. My hubby tried to manually remove the message on the dash this morning...and did...but it came right back on and stayed on. Must be the controller on the Ford....we hope!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
Aftermarket or factory integrated brake controller? I had a Tekonsha P3 controller go berserk on me once and stopped proportional braking. It would just apply full power to the brakes at the slightest touch of the pedal. Rather violent experience at 70mph.
The problem you described is definitely NOT the breakaway switch. It's something in the tow vehicle that is dumping full voltage to the brake wire.
The controller is factory integrated. I would not liked to have had experienced that happening at 70mph! You had to have lost a few years of life at that moment.
The other thing hubby just told me to add was that when it was happening, he was unable to change the Trailer Break Control...either increasing the setting or decrease. It was also locking up all four tires. That baby was acting like our Grandson....was not going to budge! We were so glad, however, that we were only four miles from home and could take backroads to get there...nervously.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Redmond , Washington
For $10 you can get a 7-way blade type trailer tester, this will answer if it's the truck or trailer wiring. If you plug in the tester and the brake light doesn't light up until you put your foot on the brake then you have a trailer wiring problem, if it does light up without your foot on the brake it's your truck.

https://www.amazon.com/58270-7-Way-B...y+blade+tester
Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgieselman View Post
For $10 you can get a 7-way blade type trailer tester, this will answer if it's the truck or trailer wiring. If you plug in the tester and the brake light doesn't light up until you put your foot on the brake then you have a trailer wiring problem, if it does light up without your foot on the brake it's your truck.

https://www.amazon.com/58270-7-Way-B...y+blade+tester
CURT makes some good products, but you might want to read the "Old Man" negative one star review of this particular item. Item may not be as reliable as needed.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote