Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Help on Brake Adjustment - Out of Travel

I have one wheel that I cannot tighten the brakes enough - the adjustment barrel rotates up to a point and then won't go any further. Can someone give me some tips on what I need to do to get the necessary travel back in the adjuster wheel?

Thanks

Keith
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister
I have one wheel that I cannot tighten the brakes enough - the adjustment barrel rotates up to a point and then won't go any further. Can someone give me some tips on what I need to do to get the necessary travel back in the adjuster wheel?

Thanks

Keith
Keith, are you sure you are turning the adjuster the correct way? You may be loosening it all the way to its stop. If that is not the case, you may have to pull the wheel and drum off, and remove the adjuster to see what is wrong with it. It may be just a bur on the threads, or a new adjuster may be required.
Good luck with it.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Keith, I agree with Terry about checking the direction of rotation. The official, and very detailed Airstream manual that came with my Excella gives the procedure with the wrong direction of rotation! I sorted it out by removing the wheel and drum and watching the adjuster in action. If I recall correctly, I dig the bent screwdriver blade in at the bottom of the wheel and lever the wheel upwards to tighten. You need to check it out on your trailer. Good luck. Nick.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Thanks to Nick, I discovered that Airstream apparently hasn't updated the manual in quite some time - my manual also had the instructions reversed! Everything works fine now. Guess I'll drop them a note about the manual, not that I expect anything to happen.

Thanks again Nick - never occured to me the book was wrong :-)

Keith
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote