Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
Question Help! Fort Worth area service suggestions

I need to turn to the wisdom of Airforums ... I am having problems with the electric brakes and brake controller on my '65 GT (the brake controller won't recognize that the trailer is attached, although previously, it had indicated there was a short somewhere along the line) and I can't find a service shop that can work on it on short notice. (Or at all, since it's an Airstream ... )

I've talked to the nice folks at Roger Williams in Weatherford, as well as the other Airstream dealer in town, and their service backlogs are MONTHS long. I'm scheduled to go on a trip this weekend, so I was hoping someone could tell me of other reputable alternatives in the area. I had no idea how backed up authorized dealers could get -- every time I call, the earliest appt. they have is 2-3 months away. Is this normal in other parts of the country?
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi '491

good service centers (with small staffs) get back logged.

your best option might be finding a horse/livestock trailer dealer

or a 'house call' type mobile rv service guy.

there should be LOTS of both in the d-fw area.

let us know what happens.

safe travels

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
p491

I had this very same issue with my '66 Caravel when I picked her up 2 years ago. Mine was not wired to the same wiring convention as my new truck. Have you ever towed THIS trailer with THIS truck before? If not then there is possibly a crossed wire between the trailer plug and the truck connection. It's a simple fix but requires a little electrical knowledge and a multimeter.

Your best bet will be to get a service tech to fix it. The above post has more options for you, I did receive some help once from a automotive parts store. Some good knowledgable folks work in many of them.

How far do you have to tow? Is it all back roads? What type of truck are you towing with? All these questions are to see if you can tow without plugging in - BUT ONLY AS A LAST RESORT, just to get the trailer home.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
Thanks for the suggestions ... To answer some questions:

When I connect the trailer to my TV, everything works perfectly except the brakes. (The turn signals and side marker lights are fine.) After I had my Prodigy installed, the display screen would read "Sh," meaning it was detecting a short somewhere in the system.

Now, when I plug it in, nothing shows on the Prodigy's screen, other than the small red dot meaning it's receiving power. When I move the manual brake lever to the left, it reads "nc" for no connection. It's no longer even recognizing the trailer as connected.

In probing the various wires at the 7-way plug, I noticed that I'm getting 12v of power from one of the connections coming OUT of the trailer. Is this normal? Am I just reading a fully charged battery? It seemed odd that I would have power flowing from the trailer into the truck ... (Could this possibly short out my Prodigy? Or, would it have to be flowing through the brake controller's specific prong to do harm?)

One other thing: the PO installed an electric jack. I noticed it has a black wire (with inline fuse) that goes into the 7-pin plug and is ganged up with the blue brake wire. I've made sure each has a good, solid connection (one on each side of the set screw) ... should this matter? I didn't think to just disconnect the jack wire and try the brakes that way. The jack works perfectly as currently connected, by the way.

When probing each prong on my truck's 7-way connection, I'm only receiving a faint glow when I touch the electric brake prong (with the brake fully depressed). My electrical knowledge is skimpy at best, so I believe I'm going to call the mobile RV guy ... I already have a number, and have talked to him before. I guess that's my next best option until spring comes around and I can finally take the trailer to the dealer for service.
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Its just a trailer

Any good trailer place can help real quick. After all, an Airstream is just a trailer (ref to wiring only). If you really need a quick and good fix call Randy at North Dallas RV (800-359-6378) or Jerry at T & T Trailers 940-668-2818.
I'll bet that either one will have you on the road within an hour.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
United RV on Airport Frwy in Ft Worth is also another choice.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Why don't you have Eric Stoltz of Texas Vintage Travel Trailer fix the problem. He sold it to you for quite a price, seems like he would give you the 1 year warranty he was promising me on it before you bought it.