Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Called Active today. They are sending me a new unit, with a label to return my unit, and all without proof of purchase, or me paying the shipping!!!

I'm just so impressed.

Now, I hope it's the unit, and NOT the wiring. I'm done with the bozos in town.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
My new unit may be here Tuesday!!!

In the meantime, I would like to be sure the wiring is correct. Specifically that the 3 grounding points have been met:

The AB ground wire
(1) Goes to trailer frame
(2) Goes to the (VTS)12v panel ground bus (where the breakaway battery is grounded as well). SO, those 2 are done!?!

But, I need confirmation on the 3rd. Because I can't see the wires inside the wall, I am making the following assumptions as to the path of the TV ground to the trailer battery...

Umbilical ground> AS 12v "Control Panel"> 12v fuse panel (from VTS) ground bus> AB comes to the bus.... all connected? No need to run a separate white wire from AB all the way to the umbilical??????????????

YES? No?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
sequoiacoast, great to hear about the replacement unit. The next time I look for an axle, I know where I'll go. I can't help on advice for that system because I've never worked one. Someone here should jump in with ideas and info. Looking forward on see ya all on the 26th.
Don & Claudia
Old 03-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #32
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
My new unit may be here Tuesday!!!

In the meantime, I would like to be sure the wiring is correct. Specifically that the 3 grounding points have been met:

The AB ground wire
(1) Goes to trailer frame
(2) Goes to the (VTS)12v panel ground bus (where the breakaway battery is grounded as well). SO, those 2 are done!?!

But, I need confirmation on the 3rd. Because I can't see the wires inside the wall, I am making the following assumptions as to the path of the TV ground to the trailer battery...

Umbilical ground> AS 12v "Control Panel"> 12v fuse panel (from VTS) ground bus> AB comes to the bus.... all connected? No need to run a separate white wire from AB all the way to the umbilical??????????????

YES? No?
No need. If the AB is grounded to the shell and/or frame, then that should suffice.
The metal of the trailer acts as one big huge ground potential. We're assuming that the umbilical ground is indeed connected to the shell/frame at some point, and that that very connection is solid and clean.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'm with Uwe...

I don't think your other circuits would work if you didn't have a ground.

Can't wait to see if this works! Did the mismatched umbilical / tv connection (I think it was the reverse circuit and the line to the brakes?) get ironed out?
Marc
Old 03-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I agree too! But the manual calls for a specific grounding of the AB to the TV (via the connector). I'm trying to pin down that leg of the ground.

It would make sense to me that the white wire in my rear wall, originally connected by a fuse to the battery, is the ground for the charge circuit... meaning that this wire is tied into the TVground . Therefore that would be the TV to AB ground connection portion I need>> yeah?

***I did get my umbilical charge issues ironed out. At least I hope so. I have a new umbilical, but don't know how to test to be sure I'm actually receiving a charge to the battery. Even though I supplied a diagram, the guy form the shop didn't realize the blue charge wire was the charge (& not the old brakes)- so when I checked his work I saw it disconnected. I have since reconnected it to a circuit breaker and the Umbilical 12v (black +) line.

Hopefully I get the new unit today. It will be something if it all works!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I have installed the new unit and run another ground straight from the TV connector to the AB. This way I know for sure the connection is there.

So far, the unit sounds waaay different- much louder- and it shuts off when I release the brake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!

When hubby gets home, we'll bleed, and hope she brakes!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Way, Way, Cool glad to hear the good news. Just to let you know that you are not the only ones that can have interesting problems. I've been working on the installation of an airconditioner in the Bambi. I was (was) about 2/3rds done when I ran a drill bit through the compresser coils. There was a beautiful jet of ice cold gas that escaped. One dead air conditioner. So it was off to Wal Mart and a new airconditioner. Nothing like a second try.
See ya soon.
Don & Claudia
Old 03-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Don,
Oh no!!!!! I was just checking in on your thread and was awaiting more pics... and !!! Sorry!! It happens to the least deserving folks some times!!

But as your problems were commencing... mine have been fixed!!! No jinxes, fingers crossed....

Bring on the margi ball, WE HAVE BRAKES!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Great news on the brakes, I've got the airconditioner fixed and ready to reinstall. It's kind of a long story for here. So later on the details. As Claudia and I ofter say, machines, aren't they suspose to last forever! Besides it's so much fun when they don't. Right.
Don
Old 03-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
yeah...right!!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
We have had no issues with the brakes until this past weekend trip to Fort Bragg. I hitched up and moved the trailer closer to the house for loading and plugging in the fridge. I decided to leave it hitched since we were leaving the following morning- I left the umbilical connected.

When we left the next morning I heard the pump come on while backing out of our street, however my husband reported no brakes as we made our way in to the gas station. You can imagine my face. The pump was not coming on when applying the brakes (or manual on controller).

So I changed a fuse- nothing. I unplugged the umbilical, then disconnected the trailer battery. I then reconnected the trailer battery and pulled the brake-away... pump came on, so I plugged in the umbilical.. and we again had brakes!!

So, I see the unit needed to be re-set... question is, did I commit a major no-no by leaving the TV and trailer connected? Is that what did it?

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #41
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
What make and model TV do you have? The GM products do not disconnect the battery line when you turn off the ignition. Ford Does, Dodge not sure.

To reset and re-sync. disconnect your batteries on your trailer for about 5 mintues with the umbilical disconnected. Just turning off the master disconnect may not do it.
Re-connect the batteries, connect the umbilical, turn the gain boost whatever they are calling it all the to its highest setting. manually actuate the brake to full several times. your should hear the pump cycle.
turn your boost/ gain back to normal. everything should be fine now.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I have a Chevy. That's pretty much what I did to re-sync. Did leaving them connected overnight trip out the actuator?

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote