Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
GM integrated brake controller

I converted my 2005 Safari to disk brakes using the Airstream kit. I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500 with the factory brake controller. Has anyone used a 'box' to make the GM brake controller work with the hydraulic brake actuator? Titan makes such a box to 'fool' the controller to think an electric brake magnet is in the system. But, they only guarantee it works with their hydraulic actuator.
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Simply wire a pair of your old brake magnets into the brake cicuit. That will let the truck know there are brakes connected, and it will operate the hydraulic actuator.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
2012 GMC and Factory brake controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
I converted my 2005 Safari to disk brakes using the Airstream kit. I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500 with the factory brake controller. Has anyone used a 'box' to make the GM brake controller work with the hydraulic brake actuator? Titan makes such a box to 'fool' the controller to think an electric brake magnet is in the system. But, they only guarantee it works with their hydraulic actuator.

Any solution to your brake issues ? . I have a 2012 GMC Denali Diesel and the factory brake controller is not working on my disck brake with ActiBrake Hydraulic actuator. I was advise to use after market controller but will like to know what other solutions are available out there. Thanks.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Gmc

F450Harley, I'm in the process of solving the problem. I'm going to pick up the Airstream in two weeks to test it out. I bought a device from e-trailer, made by Titan, to solve the GM IBC issue with the electric/hydraulic systems, that they sell. This box cost $75 and will be wired between the blue and white wires in the trailer. This will fool the GM IBC to think a brake magnet is in the system. Many have wired in two electric brake magnets to do this. But, that seems clunky to me. I asked the Titan tech and he said it should work for my Airstream conversion; but he wouldn't 'guarantee' it. Since my trailer is 300 miles from where I live, I didn't want to show up with this kit and have it not work. So, I did the GM re-wire to make a P3 brake controller work. The GM trucks come with a wire bundle under the dash to hook up an aftermarket controller. However, when an IBC is installed, the 'blue' wire under the dash doesn't go to the 7 way pin at the bumper! You need to run a new blue wire to the bumper. I had my local mechanic do that. However, GM says to cut the factory wire and hook up the new blue wire. Instead, I had the guy set up a quick disconnect at the bumper so I can choose which blue wire to use. So, I'll go pick up the Airstream knowing my P3 will work (I used my P3 on my 2008 too, after the blue wire run, and it worked fine). Then, I'll wire in the Titan box, switch my blue wires to the 7 way pin, and see if my IBC will work. The IBC has the potential of being smoother, since it knows how much hydraulic pressure is being sent to the truck brakes. Additionally, the IBC will include the trailer brakes in the trailer sway control logic---something that seems worthwhile. I'll post the results in two weeks. BYW, I love that new Denali! (2012 Denali Duramax).
Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709
F450Harley, I'm in the process of solving the problem. I'm going to pick up the Airstream in two weeks to test it out. I bought a device from e-trailer, made by Titan, to solve the GM IBC issue with the electric/hydraulic systems, that they sell. This box cost $75 and will be wired between the blue and white wires in the trailer. This will fool the GM IBC to think a brake magnet is in the system. Many have wired in two electric brake magnets to do this. But, that seems clunky to me. I asked the Titan tech and he said it should work for my Airstream conversion; but he wouldn't 'guarantee' it. Since my trailer is 300 miles from where I live, I didn't want to show up with this kit and have it not work. So, I did the GM re-wire to make a P3 brake controller work. The GM trucks come with a wire bundle under the dash to hook up an aftermarket controller. However, when an IBC is installed, the 'blue' wire under the dash doesn't go to the 7 way pin at the bumper! You need to run a new blue wire to the bumper. I had my local mechanic do that. However, GM says to cut the factory wire and hook up the new blue wire. Instead, I had the guy set up a quick disconnect at the bumper so I can choose which blue wire to use. So, I'll go pick up the Airstream knowing my P3 will work (I used my P3 on my 2008 too, after the blue wire run, and it worked fine). Then, I'll wire in the Titan box, switch my blue wires to the 7 way pin, and see if my IBC will work. The IBC has the potential of being smoother, since it knows how much hydraulic pressure is being sent to the truck brakes. Additionally, the IBC will include the trailer brakes in the trailer sway control logic---something that seems worthwhile. I'll post the results in two weeks. BYW, I love that new Denali! (2012 Denali Duramax).
Rp709,
Thanks for the feedback and I will wait for your final outcome before I do anything with my 2012 Denali HD.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Barrie , Ontario
Angry GMC 2500 HD Integrated Brake Control

I have had the same problem with an 07 31 Classic that has the factory disc brakes with an actibrake controller. Have 2011 GMC 2500 HD Duramax with the integrated brake control and I've tried the "box" that's supposed to fool the controller to no avail. It worked for a few minutes and then as you are driving along you will get an error message in your DIC and you will have NO trailer brakes.!!!! So, I'm back to my Tekonsha brake control (works fine) on my new $$$$ truck. GM is no help as they state in their manual that the IBC "may not operate with some types of hydraulic trailer brakes". If Ford can do it why not GM ???? So much for progress !
Walts0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Ibc

I've given up on trying to make the 2012 GMC ibc work. My Tekonsha P 3 works beautifully. I tried putting the Titan box in and got sparks when connecting white to white on the Actibrake unit. Based on the latest post, I see it isn't likely to work.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709
I've given up on trying to make the 2012 GMC ibc work. My Tekonsha P 3 works beautifully. I tried putting the Titan box in and got sparks when connecting white to white on the Actibrake unit. Based on the latest post, I see it isn't likely to work.
rp709,
Thanks for your feedback on this issue. I will just get an after market IBC.