Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Try riding, but be careful when you do, in the back of your Airstream at 60 to 70 miles per hour, for about 30 minutes.

Then please, report back as to it's stability, or lack thereof.

Andy
Woohoo, sounds like a fun E-ticket ride. No thanks.
Side note: it's interesting how many folks no longer know what an E-ticket ride is.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Side note: it's interesting how many folks no longer know what an E-ticket ride is.
Dave

In this case the "E" ticket ride would probably be "Enlightening" instead of "Entertaining."

On the other hand, perhaps some would consider the wild ride as "Entertaining."

Then, I am sure, there would be more than a few that would say "Enough already."

What would we do without Disney?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Dave
Better yet, take a video camera along for the ride so we can all watch.

Anyone seen the videos of the school kids in the back of a bus flying around on bad roads - got a feeling this is the same effect on the trailer.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Isn't the Supercrew a half ton truck? I thought that was a 4-door super short bed F-150. If so, maybe you need like the medium weight bars? Does the Equalizer have different weight bars? I got their DVD but don't recall if it was one size fits all or if they have different ones like the Reese.

I still think the Hensley (sp?) is the best by design, but they sure know how to charge. I'm surprised Harbor Freight hasn't made a green copy of it and sold it for $200.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Isn't the Supercrew a half ton truck? I thought that was a 4-door super short bed F-150. If so, maybe you need like the medium weight bars? Does the Equalizer have different weight bars? I got their DVD but don't recall if it was one size fits all or if they have different ones like the Reese.

I still think the Hensley (sp?) is the best by design, but they sure know how to charge. I'm surprised Harbor Freight hasn't made a green copy of it and sold it for $200.
Jim

Ford has announced what some Airstream owners have been looking for.

It's a 450 Super Duty. Will carry 6000 pounds (3 tons) in the bed alone.

They haven't published yet the allowable towing or allowable tongue weight.

But they breifly said that you can tow 24,000 pounds.

Gosh, maybe it will handle 2500 pounds tongue weight too.

I always figured that someday, we would have to use "railroad track" for torsion bars.

Wonder how much a friction type sway control, will bend the A-frame?

Mama mia. What will they think of next?

Andy
Old 11-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxflyer
Thanks for the tips. I thought the equalizer provided 4-way sway control. The ship is very steady in crosswinds and when big trucks go blasting by. Thanks again, James
Sway control IS built into the Equal-i-zer brand hitch. It doesn't need anything separate.

Geeze, don't you Reese people keep up with other/newer hitch designs?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Hi James (paxflyer) - welcome to the forums! I have the same trailer, hitch, generator and possibly truck (F150 Supercrew) as you.

- Your Equal-i-zer does provide friction sway control built-in. Equal-i-zer hitches come in 4 models with tongue weight capability of 600, 1000, 1200, or 1400 lbs. It looks like you have the 1000 lb setup (same as mine). Airstream rates the newer 25SS tongue weight at 720 (plus options and "variable weight") - so the 1000 lb setup appears correct for your application.

- I think Andy assumed that your truck is an F250 or F350, and is concerned that a stiff truck suspension plus heavy duty weight distribution bars will damage the trailer. However, perhaps you have an F150 Supercrew (same as I have), which has relatively soft rear springs so this problem may not apply to you.

- It would seem that placing the generator on the battery might work... it only weighs about as much as another battery. Also, I wonder how placing it there could be a problem, but placing inside the trailer about 4 feet back would be okay? I don't know the answer here, and will not recommend anything. I bring my Honda EU2000i in a large Rubbermaid container inside the trailer.

- Be careful running the A/C off the EU2000i - It may start, but a voltage drop upon startup could fry the A/C over time. You should check this with a digital voltmeter. Also, the output of the Honda will decrease under Propane power.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:03 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Maple Valley , Washington
Thanks Dan, Yes I do have the 04' F150 Supercrew Lariat (nice truck) and the 1000 lb bars. I should set a video camera up and take her for a ride. The axels and tires make the 25SS appear to have a great ride. The 13 year dog (Golden, who by the does not ride with a seat belt in the truck either) has lots or room in the airstream is never frazzeled. I do have the good govenor voltage and freq monitor. This gen to date been rock solid in freqs and volts, 120V and 60hz.
I do wonder if anyone has moved a electrical plug to the front for this purpose and what problems were encountered?

Thanks to all,
James
paxflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxflyer
Thanks Dan, Yes I do have the 04' F150 Supercrew Lariat (nice truck) and the 1000 lb bars. I should set a video camera up and take her for a ride. The axels and tires make the 25SS appear to have a great ride. The 13 year dog (Golden, who by the does not ride with a seat belt in the truck either) has lots or room in the airstream is never frazzeled. I do have the good govenor voltage and freq monitor. This gen to date been rock solid in freqs and volts, 120V and 60hz.
I do wonder if anyone has moved a electrical plug to the front for this purpose and what problems were encountered?

Thanks to all,
James

It's better done using an adequate extension cord, proper mounted if you want the hookup to be semi-permanent.

Makes the set up much more flexible.

Only problem is inadequate wire size and poor workmanship.

To be super safe, use a #6 extension cord, or you can easily make one.

Andy