Old 02-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
friction/rubbing in brake drum after removing wheels

Not sure that is the best title for my question/thread?
I have a 2014 Int. with Nev-R-Lub and auto adjusting drum brakes. I'm in the process of removing my wheels (one at time) to have the rubber valve stems replaced (for a TPMS) and I'm installing Centramatics as well. I got the first wheel off and noticed the brake drum wouldn't spin freely. It sounds like something is rubbing inside the drum, and the drum will only spin a couple of times before stopping. I decided to proceed with the other wheels and come back to this issue. I still have 1 wheel to go, but so far all three have been the same. Does anybody happen to know if the auto adjusting brakes keep the pads in slight contact with the drums?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The friction material is called pads with disc brakes and shoes with drum brakes. Assuming you have drum brakes .... For drum brakes in the scenario you are describing ... it is normal.

The shoe/drum contact isn't perfect. (Life is like that too) The shoe will contact the drum ever so slightly when the drum is spun and the brakes are not applied. This should be the sound you are hearing. If the drum spins for a turn or two after you let go this is about as good as it will get. If the drum spins for many turn the shoe needs adjusting closer to the drum surface. If the drum only spins a half turn it is too tight.

Self adjusting brakes will adjust the shoes closer to the drum surface as the shoe friction material wears.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 02-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Excellent description for how to judge the adjustment.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks very much.
I do have drum brakes and I thought it sounded like the brake pads rubbing (it's not a metal grinding sound). I just assumed there would be no contact between pads and drums until the brakes were activated.......I guess that's not the case. The drums will in fact spin about twice before stopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 02-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Your scenario is normal.

The brake shoes (not pads) are supposed to make slight contact with the brake drum when the brakes are NOT applied. In this position the shoes will make proper contact with out excessive travel. If there was no contact at all with the drum in the un-activated mode, complete shoe contact with the drum would NOT be achieved and the trailer would have less than full braking capacity.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
On some drum brake setups the drum is held on by the wheel and lug nuts. If you can remove the drum after you remove the wheel then that is the setup you have. Remove the wheel and then replace the lug nuts to hold the drum in position and spin it again to see if there any difference in the light drag you hear. Also don't forget that the brake magnets may be the source of the noise.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
The good thing about self adjusting brakes is that they will all apply equally. If one shoe has to move farther to contact the drum, it will apply with more force due to the lever action of the magnet moving further across the face of the drum, and generally will lock up first. Anytime I get a single wheel lock on gravel it is usually adjusted too loose.

As noted some drag is normal. under running conditions there will be a thin layer of air between the drum and shoe to reduce the friction. The bit of friction does help keep the drum warm and dry...good in wet weather.
JCW
Old 02-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
What does not sound right to me is the OP says the wheel will rotate about 2 turns then stops. If he means that it locks up vs just coasting to a stop it sounds like something is floating around inside the brake assembly and jamming the drum.

I am dealing with this problem on my 2012 EB, found the problem when we getting the trailer ready to leave on a trip. I will try to post photo, but the flange on the actuating lever where the magnet mounts was broken off and the magnet was just floating around inside the brake assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0329.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	257398  

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A common problem is the spring (see crisen's photo) breaking and being loose in the brake assembly. This can cause the brake to lock up, overheat and possibly a brake fire. More common in older brakes with brittle springs.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Mine doesn't grab and stop suddenly....it just gradually slows and stops. It sounds like it's normal, but not what I was expecting.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Landrum's description is that of a normal wheel. Even without brake shoes grabbing, the bearing grease and drag from the lip seal will not let a drum spin freely for very long. The normal drag of the shoes will shorten that considerably.
With respect to grabbing brakes that won't let go , I can give you my experience. With our new to us '89 Excella, one wheel would lock up and not release until I backed up. I burned the tread getting off the road! To keep going on our short term rally I just disconnected the magnet wire. The problem was a badly corroded pivot on the lever arm actuating the shoes. It stuck in the "on" position, springs couldn't pull the shoes "off" and the self acting design of drum brakes kept jamming the shoe into the drum. Once I lubed the pivot there were no more problems.
JCW
Old 02-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I can give you my experience. With our new to us '89 Excella, one wheel would lock up and not release until I backed up. I burned the tread getting off the road! To keep going on our short term rally I just disconnected the magnet wire.
JCW
To take this thread a little more off course, the above symptom is similar to installing brake shoes in reverse order. Putting primary shoe on the back and the secondary shoe in the front. May be not as severe as stated above.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
FYI it took Dexter a few days to get back to me but attached is their response. They say the magnets are always in contact with the brake drum armature surface.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1455842139.717643.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	257507