Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
For want of a nail, the Kingdom was Lost

I had the pleasure of going through the left and right side brake assemblies on our 2014 International.

The left side brakes were working and the right side... were not. They were getting 12v, so the problem was probably the Brake Magnet.

Pulled wheels and the Brake Magnet had uneven wear. Both did, I ordered TWO Dexter Brake Assemblies for $124.10, shipping included from etrailer.com.

Replaced both right side brake assemblies and NOW they both work. I suspect the uneven 'magnet wear' was the problem on both wheels. The Self Adjust chrome brackets, also, seem to be... out of position, compared to the new set. My wife noticed this as she can be more detail orientated when I am sweating profusely in the 105F heat, 40% heat of the Mohave Desert... on a good day to work.

Identical otherwise.

I am contacting Dexter Axle with the self adjusting lever offset, compared to the new assemblies.

What was not expected:

Both of the small oblong brake adjusting holes on the brake assembly on the Airstream did not have the plastic plugs. Dust was cleaned out of the drums, caked on the edges and onto the brake parts.

Then to look at the Left Side Brakes and those do not have the plugs that Dexter supplies to snap into these holes after adjusting the brakes.

This is an Airstream Jackson Center issue. I need to find those for my Left Side sooner than later before we travel.

Water and dirt can get into the wheel assembly and brakes. This is the 'For want of a Nail the Kingdom was Lost".

You may want to inspect your back side of your brake assembly to see if these two plugs are at the bottom of each of your plates are installed. I believe this may have caused damage to the brake magnet, making contact to the dirt within the drum surface. One magnet was not even close to being flat. The other magnet had more wear than expected. Both magnets seem to be making contact on the inside and outside points, it that indicates anything. This is where the center was higher than the outside edges.

If all of MY assemblies did not have these plugs installed... I am probably not only the only owner to discover this... to late.

(No... the chance of eight of these black inserted plugs falling out would be like hitting the Power Ball on your first attempt.)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ray

When I read the nail in the title ok read more.

But brakes! Knew you had a brake issue but did you know some oldish farts call the retainer pin for brake shoes..... drum roll please

A nail.

Keep em rolling and stopping on drivers command.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote