Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Exclamation Fishing line takes out brakes?

I put about 6,000 miles on the brakes since I repacked the bearings and did a cleanup etc.

So I figured I'd take a quick recheck before heading back from Fla to NY.

To my amazement one wheel had a lite coating of rust on the brake surfaces and magnet contact points inside the drum.

So I was running on three brakes, I found one of the two wires pulled out of the wire nut with a fishing line wraped around it.

Two things that need to be done; one solder all these connections, two put some type of wire lume protection over the dangling wires.

Ps: I don't even fish!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Bob, it's good you found this, but I have a thought (always dangerous for me)...
Wouldn't it be better to be able to simply reattach a wire nut, than solder everything and maybe have the wires torn out of the magnet next time?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I have wrapped mine with a short section of wire loom covering that I got at Auto Zone. I have left the connection be with the wire nut. I figured if the wires got tugged that bad, soldering isn't gonna keep them together either.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I just got back home the other day from a fishing trip in Florida. I know you're not going to believe this, but I hooked a monster that took all my line before "breaking" off. I swear the thing was over 30' long!

John
Old 02-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I just got back home the other day from a fishing trip in Florida. I know you're not going to believe this, but I hooked a monster that took all my line before "breaking" off. I swear the thing was over 30' long!

John
Fish, or trailer?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Soldering could lead to premature wire breaking. The connection is too stiff. Use crimp style butt connectors.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
You can use standard 4 pin flat trailer connectors. Remember to check brake function by checking for heat on each drum after you stop or use a remote thermometer. Cold drum = no brake.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
how much brake should a brake brake?

My Sovereign is the only Airstream I have towed. When the brakes are applied (depending on the controller adjustement) I feel a distinct tug when the trailer brakes activate. The brakes are not strong enough to lock up the wheels. In the one or 2 panic stops I have made towing I can feel the trailer pushing the TV. Does this sound normal? Any way to check the brakes are working to spec?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:

John

Hi John, it's Rick. We were in the boat next to you and our captain swears it was closer to 31 feet! Too bad you lost it. Next time you may want to try a braided stainless steel leader.

As for the brake wires, I wouldn't solder them. Making any future emergency road repairs would then be impossible. Your chances of something like this happening are a lot less than getting hit by lightening. Good story though.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:

John
So this mess is your fault

Old 02-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Rather than wire loom, try a section of rubber fuel line hose. You can anchor it with heavy metal clamps and it will never break.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I think the solder is better in two ways one the fishing line may have snapped first, two the electrical connection is far superior to a twist nut.

The electrical connections are probably corroded on soo many AS I bet people don't even know it

Rick said “As for the brake wires, I wouldn't solder them. Making any future emergency road repairs would then be impossible. Your chances of something like this happening are a lot less than getting hit by lightening.”

I could make a repair if it’s soldered just twist the wires or splice in a piece tape them until a more permanent fix can be done.

Michelle, I don’t see how soldering could lead to premature wire breaking. The connection is as stiff as the wire nut!

Using crimp style butt connectors is tough when the wire sizes vary as much as they do #16 and maybe# 10.

I'm going to solder all of them and put a hose over them or loom.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A Little Tech Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
I think the solder is better in two ways one the fishing line may have snapped first, two the electrical connection is far superior to a twist nut.

The electrical connections are probably corroded on soo many AS I bet people don't even know it

Rick said “As for the brake wires, I wouldn't solder them. Making any future emergency road repairs would then be impossible. Your chances of something like this happening are a lot less than getting hit by lightening.”

I could make a repair if it’s soldered just twist the wires or splice in a piece tape them until a more permanent fix can be done.

Michelle, I don’t see how soldering could lead to premature wire breaking. The connection is as stiff as the wire nut!

Using crimp style butt connectors is tough when the wire sizes vary as much as they do #16 and maybe# 10.

I'm going to solder all of them and put a hose over them or loom.
This tip is worth it's weight in gold. I use it constantly: when joining dissimilar wire sizes in a crimp connector, attach the large wire first in the appropriate size connector. Then strip a double length of the smaller wire, twist it, FOLD IT IN HALF, insert it into the connector and crimp. It takes up twice the space in the connector and will almost always hold as well as the larger wire.

Also, throw away those cheapie single action crimpers. They almost always over crimp or cut the crimp. I've had to replace so many done with these that I've lost count. It's just a few bucks more to get a really 'pro' style ratchet crimper that makes a perfect connection every time!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There are special wire nuts they use for well pumps. They are completely waterproof when assembled. They are filled with some kind of jell of some kind. You still need to secure the wiring up so it does not snag something when driving thru the field for a rally or boondocking.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Rick said, “As for the brake wires, I wouldn't solder them. Making any future emergency road repairs would then be impossible."
Your chances of something like this happening are a lot less than getting hit by lightening.
- Or less than being damaged by road debris again. Hmmm.

Quote:
- In a properly soldered wire connection the wires are no longer flexible. If they do get flexed, they don't bend, they break.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-28-2007, 06:34 AM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I dunno... how heavy was the fishing line? You've gotta give the fisherman a lot of credit... at least he was thinking big. How big of an Airstream can you land on 20lb test line?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:05 AM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Your wire will no longer flex and will break at the ends of the solder connections. usually inside the insulation. My recomendation is based on what the FAA allows for aircraft wiring repair. use a butt connector. Much smoother and should pull apart before the wires break. If you want to seal them use marine butt connectors. They can be bought with heat shrink on each end to seal the connection.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote