Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Fast way coiled breakaway cable.

Okay, we can agree that the stock breakaway cable is too long.
So I purchased the Fastway 4' coiled cable from Amazon.
I always heard "Get the 4' for trailers and the 6' for fifth wheels."
The 4' is coiled VERY tight. I'm afraid it will pull the plug on a right hand turn.
The reviews on Amazon say to get the 6' for anything.

Anyone use one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1032001.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	332009  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I had a 4' for my 30' Classic and now for my FC. It takes significant pull to get the pin out of the switch.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have been using the 4' version for the last 5 or 6 years and over 100K miles with no problem. I attach to my truck on an eye bolt at the license plate.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The 4' is coiled VERY tight. I'm afraid it will pull the plug on a right hand turn.

Anyone use one?
Nope I don't use, don't recommend.

Important to remember the uncoiled length needs to be short enough to engage the brakes before the chains begin to support the tongue.
Also attach the cable to the TV not the receiver.

Bob
🇺🇸

POI... the arrows relate to the 7-way disengaging at will.😂
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d27.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	332015  
Old 01-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Important to remember the uncoiled length needs to be short enough to engage the brakes before the chains begin to support the tongue.
Someone better tell Airstream, because their stock cable is about 2' too long.
I tie a very loose overhand knot in mine, to keep it off the ground, but I'm still afraid it will catch on some hitch parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I had a 4' for my 30' Classic and now for my FC. It takes significant pull to get the pin out of the switch.
Good to know.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
You can go to lowes or any hardware store and find the crimps for the cable and make it the correct length for your rig. The breakaway pin should pull out before the safety chains are fully extended.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Suwanee , Georgia
I’m new to this trailering business so please excuse my ignorance. But what happens should the safety chain get pulled during towing? Do the trailer brakes lock up completely, bringing truck and trailer to a screeching halt?
Old Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grumpy View Post
I’m new to this trailering business so please excuse my ignorance. But what happens should the safety chain get pulled during towing? Do the trailer brakes lock up completely, bringing truck and trailer to a screeching halt?
I believe you meant: what happens if the breakaway cable is pulled...

All of the trailer wheels should immediately lock.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Someone better tell Airstream, because their stock cable is about 2' too long.
I tie a very loose overhand knot in mine, to keep it off the ground, but I'm still afraid it will catch on some hitch parts.

Good to know.
That surprises you😳, they build not tow 'em.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I am puzzled. Why would you want to lock up the wheels before accidental separation of the TT and chains? The breakaway switch is to stop a runaway trailer before it hits somebody or something. If the chains are crossed under the trailer tongue they will support the tongue if the shank (stinger) fails. You would then make a normal gentle stop of the TT & TV. A breakaway stop would be a jerk and probably cause the chains to break. Then you would have a runaway.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I had a utility trailer pop off the ball once (no brakes). While the chains held, the tongue hit the pavement, bounce up and speared the lift gate of my SUV. If the trailer had brakes, it would have been tugging hard to stop, not slamming into my automobile.

Also should add that many Airstream trailer chains are welded to a single point under the tongue, thus making it impossible to cross the chains.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I had a utility trailer pop off the ball once (no brakes). While the chains held, the tongue hit the pavement, bounce up and speared the lift gate of my SUV. If the trailer had brakes, it would have been tugging hard to stop, not slamming into my automobile.

Also should add that many Airstream trailer chains are welded to a single point under the tongue, thus making it impossible to cross the chains.
I also had a utility trailer come off the ball. Chains held, easy stop, pretty much a non-event. Your chains were too short.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post

Not mine...🤔
They cross fine👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d27.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	332058   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_13f2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	332059  

Old 01-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Hurley , New York
OK I have to tell a story here. A friend of mine and I were crossing the Kingston Rhinecliff bridge in New York over the Hudson River one sunny summer day. He was driving when I noticed a car, 2 cars in front of us running into the curb. This happened several times over the next quarter mile. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Now this is over 200 feet to the water. I thought someone was trying to runoff the bridge. We finally got to the other side and realized there was an old couple in a car sitting on an equipment trailer. The trailer came loose from a dump truck going the other way and with the tongue on the ground came over to our lane and this couples car went right onto the trailer. There were ramps on the other side of the trailer that kept them from going right off the other side. Now on the trailer. they just rolled down the lane bouncing off the curb until the trailer came to a halt. Can you imagine being in that car banging into the curb 200 feet up with no control. We stopped and helped them out. They were white as ghosts. The truck came back a few minutes later. Can't imagine what they were thinking during that ride. I doubt the truck even had safety chains but I'll bet that driver checks them from now on.
nuttinbutxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:

Anyone use one?
Yep... got 2 of them for my trailers at TSC....they are very good....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I am with GUSKMG completely. The last thing I want is for the trailer brakes to instantly lock up all the trailer tires before the safety chains are tight and in use. The only time I would want the trailer brakes to lock up would be when the trailer has no attachment to the tow vehicle. Locked up trailer brakes while the chains are still loose will test your safety chains and attachments to the utmost. If the chains hold then your trailer will have no directional stability as long as your brakes are locked. Locked up tires do not care which direction they go, even if it means trying to pass your tow vehicle. That also adversely affects the handling of your vehicle. (Think anti-lock brakes on most vehicles now. Their function is to maintain directional control). You could become an increased hazard to yourself and others.

Remember that "handy-dandy" control there in the cab with you?? The one that allows you to control your trailer brakes manually? Use that to bring yourself to a safe, controlled stop without trying to rip your safety chains apart.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I am puzzled. Why would you want to lock up the wheels before accidental separation of the TT and chains?
guskmg
Safety I guess...
It would be hard to resist hitting the TV brakes if the AS should come off the ball with the chains intact and no trailer brake application...AS swing'n around back there with no drag not ideal...I think.

I had a UHaul come off the ball at 25mph, ruined a perfectly good tailgate on a not so good P/U.🥴
BTW the tongue was cradled in the crossed chains and still hit the TG and dragged the pavement.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
Generally when something happens we hit the brakes and if the trailer brakes don't activate the trailer will collide with the bake of the tow vehicle. If the trailer brakes activate first it will keep the entire rig stopping in a straight line.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
My previous trailer had a standard cable and it had a tendency to get itself wrapped around the hitch and pull out on tight maneuvers. I then went to the cable and have been happily ever after. I would have to disagree with some - If the hitch ever did fail I would want the trailer brakes to activate to keep the chains taut. I would be much easier to get the whole rig stopped in one piece - then you could drag it off to the side of the road. I wouldn't rely on the operator to be quick enough on the brake controller to keep the trailer in line.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have no illusions that in an emergency, I'll have the presence of mine to casually reach down for the brake controller.
I suspect I'll hold the wheel while shouting "Oh, S......."