Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Extra brake wire?

1973 AS dual axle.

I am about to put new axles and brakes on this.

I noticed when taking this all apart that there seemed to be an extra new wire on the two curb side brakes that was wired in with the original brake wires on both wheels. Any idea what this is for.

I have a voltmeter (pretty much a newb on how to use it) Can I plug the umbilical cord into the AS and check the current to all the wires before I put everything back together? What setting do I use and what am I looking for?

When I put the brakes on should I hook the TV up spin the wheel and make sure they work before taking it for a test drive?

Many Thanks

www.steventothemax.com
steven2themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
It sounds like the original wire had a break in it and someone ran a new wire to replace it. Where does this extra wire go to?
Using a voltmeter is easy. Set the meter to read 12VDC, the black probe goes to ground(make sure you have a clean connection point for the probe) and the red probe is attached to the wire you are testing. Try it on your battery first to see how it works. You will only have power to the brake wires if the tow vehicle is attached and the brakes are applied. you should have full voltage with the brakes fully applied.
Yes it would be a good idea to connect the TV and test the brakes before the test drive.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Strangely enough all four brakes are wired from one central wire that runs underneath the belly pan to the middle of the trailer. I took off the wing nuts and the connections looks good. Very strange. Not sure why the extra other wire is there. I will test everything today.

www.steventothemax.com
steven2themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
That's not strange. That is the way the trailer was wired from A/S in the first place.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Breakaway power source should be seperate from normal braking.
Two seperate functions.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
On my trailer, the brakes are served by two wires running inside a sheath as a pair. One is black, the other is white. The black is the powered wire and the white is grounded to the frame. Both wires tie to each wheel without respect to color. The breakaway switch is wired to the hot brake wire terminal without a fuse, in a way that, in the event of a break away, full power is applied to the trailer brakes . . . IF there's a charged battery in the trailer and everything else required is wired properly.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
On my trailer, the brakes are served by two wires running inside a sheath as a pair. One is black, the other is white. The black is the powered wire and the white is grounded to the frame. Both wires tie to each wheel without respect to color. The breakaway switch is wired to the hot brake wire terminal without a fuse, in a way that, in the event of a break away, full power is applied to the trailer brakes . . . IF there's a charged battery in the trailer and everything else required is wired properly.

Gary

I had what sounds like the same "sheathed" wires and I need to replace it. I have not been able to find the same stuff. Can I use something like a heavy guage "speaker wire" or lamp cord? Or is there something better?
Thanks, MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
stranded #10 awg THHN -buy it at the lumber yard
Old 10-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Thanks for the wire specs.
I know I can get a single wire matching the individual wires that I had, what I'm wondering is if you can get a pair of wires ("stranded, #10 awg THHN") sheathed together.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It could be an extra ground wire to the frame to back up the original ground wire
Old 10-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
MarkR try the marine places. Do a google search on "boat cable 10/2" and you'll get 50 different stores. The stuff they sell is like type UF only there's no ground and the conductors are stranded. Just what you want, I think.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Thanks for the wire specs.
I know I can get a single wire matching the individual wires that I had, what I'm wondering is if you can get a pair of wires ("stranded, #10 awg THHN") sheathed together.
What Jammer wrote: It's marine wire.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #13
x

XXXX , XXXX
Any RV outlet can supply you with 2 line sheathed brake wire. I bought an entire roll of it. Most RV repairs shops should have this wire in stock for in house repairs and could sell you enough to repair your trailer. It comes in either 12 or 14 guage.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Marine wire is designed to extreme condition specs. The copper stranding is tin plated for corrosions protection and the insulation and outer cover is designed to resist the king of crud that it will be exposed to under the AS. Two strand is commonly available at places like West Marine.

False economy, IMO, to spend the time and care need to repair and not us the best available materials.