Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Biloxi , Mississippi
EOH brake lock-up

I had EOH disc brakes and Genesis controller installed at Airstream Factory 22 months ago. Recently, local Airstream dealer replaced a caliper on curbside rear wheel.
Now brakes are locking up on minimum settings with the Genesis controller. I mean I barely touch the brake pedal and the trailer brakes lock up with no delay.
Is this likely air in the system?, a controller problem?
Any suggestions on how best to approach this problem will be greatly appreciated. Scheduled to begin journey from Mississippi to West Coast in about 8 days.
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
I had EOH disc brakes and Genesis controller installed at Airstream Factory 22 months ago. Recently, local Airstream dealer replaced a caliper on curbside rear wheel.
Now brakes are locking up on minimum settings with the Genesis controller. I mean I barely touch the brake pedal and the trailer brakes lock up with no delay.
Is this likely air in the system?, a controller problem?
Any suggestions on how best to approach this problem will be greatly appreciated. Scheduled to begin journey from Mississippi to West Coast in about 8 days.
Air is the lines causes a delay in the brakes coming on, not an immediate lockup. It takes time for the pump to compress the trapped air. I had the delay problem when I replaced the pump and it took several successive bleedings to get quick brake action again.

I would pull the affected wheel and check the caliper and shoes. See what happens when the brakes are applied.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Gavin,

Any chance just for grins that you can try another TV just as a test?

OK, here's a long repeat long shot. Dealer just replaced a caliper, they had to bleed some if not all of the brake system.

Is it possible, just possible that now the brakes are correctly bled and this is your new normal?

If I'm way out on limb, your old brakes had a subtle air bubble induced delay. Did you have any delay prior to caliper R&R?

I know nothing about your controller, is it EOH rated?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My guess might be that they turned the controller inertia switch to max to bleed the brakes.. And left it that way.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If it is not the inertia setting, the issue is 90% + a controller issue.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We recently returned from a 7400+ mile trip, and while on the trip I learned my brake controller (Tekonsha P3) is probably not the best in the world for these electric over hydraulic brakes.

I experienced less the stellar performance when stopping going up a hill, or grade, but while going down a grade, the trailer brakes will tend to throw you thru the windshield.

This tells me that maybe I don't have the controller mounted at the optimum angle.

Reluctantly I have come to accept the fact that a certain amount of delay cannot be eliminated.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Biloxi , Mississippi
Disc Brake Lock-up problem

Problem with lock-up resolved this morning. It was brake controller. A new controller installed.
Thanks for input and suggestions from several people on this thread.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Disc brake discussion

Gavin,

Glad you found it and thanks for recording the conclusion.

What controller did you install? How's it working?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Biloxi , Mississippi
EOH Brake Lock-up

The local airstream dealer had a Tekonsha Prodgy 2 in stock. It is a new design of the product and designed to handle EOH, as well as electric brakes. It is working fine. Haven't had any up or down grades (South Mississippi) to test that aspect of performance. Heading to West Coast next week, so will find out.