Old 12-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pensacola , Florida
Electrical problem with the new brakes...help!

I have a 69 overlander. When I picked this up from my brother in law last year, we only put new tires and rims on it to get it home. We did not have any brakes hooked up. I just put new backing plates on and when I test the wires with a hot lead going to the pig tail, there is no juice going back to the brakes. I tested each of the pig tail leads to find out what each of the leads went to and located everything else (turn signals, clearance lights and ect.) I have 2 open leads that I do not know what they are. But, when I hook up my hot lead to either one, I still do not have juice going to the brakes. Can anyone help?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I asume the pig tail is the AS to TV connector.
Just a guess on my part but I suspect the wires that don't seem to go anywhere.. one wire is for the brakes and the other is the back-up lights.
I think you have found the problem the wire from the pig tail to where they connect to the brakes is open.
You may have to run new wires back to the brakes.

Garry

Old 12-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensacolaJim
I have a 69 overlander. When I picked this up from my brother in law last year, we only put new tires and rims on it to get it home. We did not have any brakes hooked up. I just put new backing plates on and when I test the wires with a hot lead going to the pig tail, there is no juice going back to the brakes. I tested each of the pig tail leads to find out what each of the leads went to and located everything else (turn signals, clearance lights and ect.) I have 2 open leads that I do not know what they are. But, when I hook up my hot lead to either one, I still do not have juice going to the brakes. Can anyone help?
There is an inspection plate, underneath the front end, just behind the A-frame.

It's about 8 inches by 8 inches or so.

You will find a junction of wires there from the 12 volt cable to the rest of the trailer.

If the original 12 volt cable is still on the front, you may to replace it.

Also, one side of the brakes are "hot" and the other side is grounded.

Andy
Old 12-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When ever you are faced with an open DC circuit the best thing to do is start at one end and work you way through the circuit teasting as you go.

In this case I would start at the brakes. With a long wire attached to the trailer Positive 12 volts. Open the Feed Lead at each of the backer plate and apply 12 volt to it. This will test the brakes themselves. Once you are sure the brakes themselves work I would go forward and open the inspection port.m Again apply 12 volts to the brake location point on the pig tail. With a test lamp or volt meter check for 12 volts in the inspection port. If found remove the 12 volts from the pig tail just to make sure you have the right wire. If the brakes and the pig tail check out OK it is most likely a broken wire in the trailer. Rather than try to replace the any broken wire inside the trailer I would run New Wires back on the underside of the trailer.

When I run wires on the outside of the trailer I use 1/4 in soft tubing attached to the underside and fish the wire through the tubing.

A tip on fishing a new wire. Tie a knot in the end of a string long enough to go throught the tubing. Insert the knot in the tubing and with compressed air blow the string through the tubing. It will go and it will go fast so hold the other end or you will blow it all the way through. Use the string to pull the new wire through.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote