Old 12-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Electric over Hydraulic/disc brakes

I have electric over/hydraulic/disc brakes on my boat trailer. It has torsion axles and all the components are stainless and galvanized for salt water submersion. Has any one used a set up like this for replacements on an air stream. It would seem to me to be a great setup. I don't know if there could be issues with wheels and offsets? The boat trailer does not use shocks but it seems they could be added easily for the AS application. My trailer is a 31'/1977 sovereign. The axles are approx horizontal and the brakes could use some help. It is usable now but I want to start planning replacements and want to do axles brakes tires and wheels all together. The original brakes look like they where vacuum. They are electric now. The original components are still on the trailer tongue and i suppose I could consider reworking the original system if the disc brake configuration will not fit. I am not impressed with the electric drum brakes I have had experience with in the past. They seem to be old low tec systems. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Phil

Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I believe that disc brakes are availible...not sure if they are stainless, but they are availible. I think Jackson Center and other places do retro fit for a significant fee, but they are out there.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well out 77 has torsion axles and I replaced our old vac unit with a Dexter E/H unit and that works great for us. They aren't SS. They of course do have shocks. The only thing not stock on our trailer is the E/H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gobie
I have electric over/hydraulic/disc brakes on my boat trailer. It has torsion axles and all the components are stainless and galvanized for salt water submersion. Has any one used a set up like this for replacements on an air stream. It would seem to me to be a great setup. I don't know if there could be issues with wheels and offsets? The boat trailer does not use shocks but it seems they could be added easily for the AS application. My trailer is a 31'/1977 sovereign. The axles are approx horizontal and the brakes could use some help. It is usable now but I want to start planning replacements and want to do axles brakes tires and wheels all together. The original brakes look like they where vacuum. They are electric now. The original components are still on the trailer tongue and i suppose I could consider reworking the original system if the disc brake configuration will not fit. I am not impressed with the electric drum brakes I have had experience with in the past. They seem to be old low tec systems. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Phil
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
E/h

Buttercup what is E/H?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
_

. , .
hi phil

use the search function for disc brake, kodiak, dexter and so on....

lots of info.

the j/c service center installs kodiak as do many dealer service centers.

stainless is cool and functional for the boat...not as much salt exposure on a land yacht...

new torsen double axle upgrades are about 2800$ which include the complete drum brake assembly.

4 discs would add another 1000$ or so to the price.

dexter or the original henschens are available....

where are you localed and do you want to do the work yourself?

visiit the kodiak website....

http://www.kodiaktrailer.com

stainless and other models...along with downloads of the instructions...

don't forget the disc control unit and how it relates to your brake controller.

i've got 31k trouble free miles on the kodiaks...i like 'em.

ceramic pads are now an option which may last indefinitely.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
Ceramic pads are now an option which may last indefinitely.
A plus to this is the ceramic pads don't generate a lot of brake dust to get all over your aluminum wheels.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
I have electric over/hydraulic/disc brakes on my boat trailer. Phil
Phil,

Are you sure that your boat trailer doesn't have hydraulic surge brakes?

Disc brakes are the way to fly!

Kodiak and Dexter both build good systems. I am more knowledgeable of the Kodiak system as I sold them for years. Kodiak does make a stainless steel set up (for boat trailers - but I always thought this would be the way to go on a Airstream).

Uwe on the forums has the Dexter disc set up - perhaps a PM to him would be in order.

Regards,
Henry
Old 12-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
getting ready

I live in Miami and i am planning on doing them my self. I have access to a lift and all kinds of tools and equipment. One of my customers is a major trailer manufacture and distributer. they build one of the best boat trailers on the market. I will likely be able to purchase through them and in the past they have given me very good prices and will barter service with me. So I thought that if the components happen to be SS & galv. it wouldn't hurt. The brakes on my boat trailer are top of the line with a hydraulic pump and 4 wheel disc brakes. They operate with the electric brake controller. They are not surge brakes. any way I was just thinking someone else may have used something similar. Also my boat weight with the trailer is about 5300# and with the torsion axles (dual) the wight rating is 8500#. I will be weighing my trailer but the factory has a 77/31 at 5300# plus options brings it in at about 6200# any suggestions I don't want to over or under size the axles. Thanks Phil
Old 12-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I live in Miami and i am planning on doing them my self. I have access to a lift and all kinds of tools and equipment. One of my customers is a major trailer manufacture and distributer. they build one of the best boat trailers on the market. I will likely be able to purchase through them and in the past they have given me very good prices and will barter service with me. So I thought that if the components happen to be SS & galv. it wouldn't hurt. The brakes on my boat trailer are top of the line with a hydraulic pump and 4 wheel disc brakes. They operate with the electric brake controller. They are not surge brakes. any way I was just thinking someone else may have used something similar. Also my boat weight with the trailer is about 5300# and with the torsion axles (dual) the wight rating is 8500#. I will be weighing my trailer but the factory has a 77/31 at 5300# plus options brings it in at about 6200# any suggestions I don't want to over or under size the axles. Thanks Phil
Phil.

If you have a 77 31 foot Airstream the original axle rating was 3200 pounds. You can increase it to 3500 pounds.

If you have a 77 31 foot "Excella" the original rating was 4000 pounds.
Do not increase it.

Andy
Old 12-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Andy thanks for the info, Phil
Old 12-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Electric/Hydraulic - It's just an abbreviation.

Also, when I replaced my axles, I went up to 3500 pound, up from 2800 which was stock on my unit.

Quote:
Buttercup what is E/H?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #12

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Vista , California
I have a very dumb question but since I'm not mechanically savoy I need to ask. I just purchased a 2017 Toyota Tundra to pull my 20' Airstream. The built in brake controller gives me two options in set up, electric or electric over hydraulic. Which do I choose?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
The only dumb question is the question not asked.

Electric. Your manual should say so.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote