Old 05-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswartz
Interesting comments above. But isn't it true that on the road you may not want the tires to lockup, so that the trailer doesn't jack-knife? Disk brake stopping ability is certainly great, but that may come at a price. There seem to be many tradeoffs.
True, you do NOT want your brakes to lock-up while driving on the road. You regulate this with the brake controller. I think if you read the thread closely you will see that the operator “squeezed the brake control” to stop the tow vehicle.

He was simply stating the “ability” and “strength” of the brakes.

Old 05-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
True, you do NOT want your brakes to lock-up while driving on the road. You regulate this with the brake controller. I think if you read the thread closely you will see that the operator “squeezed the brake control” to stop the tow vehicle.

He was simply stating the “ability” and “strength” of the brakes.
Wow Axleman!
Will the cost of the disc barkes raise the price of a new axle to $800?

Old 05-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
'Brake Bias' is a tricky Art/Science. 'Brake Bias' is the setting of braking force in a vehicle brake system. In most vehicles you will find that the brake force is set at about 60% in the front brakes and 40% in the rear brakes.
This is done so that under hard braking if the tires lose adheasion to the road surface, the front tires will lock up first.
Tires that have locked up have passed there maximum point of adheasion, and the major portion of braking force has been lost.
If you allow the front tires to start skidding first the rear breaking force will keep the vehicle going in a straight line. No loops going down the hiway.

If your trailer locks up its' tires, the trailer will try to pass your tow vehicle,
and at best just jack knife your rig.
As for all I know you should never have so much braking on your trailer as to cause the tires to skid. I think this is inviting trouble.
You should come work for GM. We are always looking for guys that think like you do.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Wow Axleman!
Will the cost of the disc barkes raise the price of a new axle to $800?
Sorry Lou, I cannot answer that question. It would conflict with the “Policies” outlined for the forum.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:11 PM   #19
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Disc are safe & easy to maintain

Last Summer, We had my electro-hydralic pump and disc installed on the 34 w/tripple axle. Home is North Texas and travel to Mountains of New Mexico, Colorado and the hills in Missouri. When we are decending down a long steep grade is very comforting to know I don't concern myself with brake fade. I've had a deer dart out in front of me, was able make a panic manuver and hope to never see a repeat of that again

The brake controller is a BrakeSmart unit which get's brake pressure from the Truck, outside the initial setting (for aggressiveness) I never adjust the controller. It's all proportional.

My thought, If I kept the electric drums and they faded down a moutain pass then I'd be concerned of jackknife if the trailer had little or no braking power.

Anyone have any thoughts here?