Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Electric Brakes

I need some advise. On a return trip from vacation, I noticed that one of the tires from each side had a red wire loose. I suspected that this was associated with the electric brakes. They appeared to have been cut somehow but I haven't investigated it yet. I have a 34' so the three axles gives me some comfort that at least four out of the six brakes should be working. Can anyone tell me if I continue to drive without the two electric brakes if any damage can become of the two? I don't plan to do this long term but I just haven't had a chance to look at it and I do have a rally before I investigate the problem. The drive will be a short one.

Thanks
WBCCI 14536
dbaverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

If I were you I would at least crawl up under and take a look/see to be sure that no naked wires can touch metal and short out. If one of the dangling wires did short, it might blow a fuse or your brake controller leaving you with no trailer brakes.

My guess is that you would be okay for a short trip with 4 working brakes. There are lots of trailers out there that are heavier than our Airstreams and that have only 4 wheels.

I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on tv.

Good luck

Lee
LeeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
[QUOTE=dbaverb]I need some advise. On a return trip from vacation, I noticed that one of the tires from each side had a red wire loose. I suspected that this was associated with the electric brakes. They appeared to have been cut somehow but I haven't investigated it yet. I have a 34' so the three axles gives me some comfort that at least four out of the six brakes should be working. Can anyone tell me if I continue to drive without the two electric brakes if any damage can become of the two? I don't plan to do this long term but I just haven't had a chance to look at it and I do have a rally before I investigate the problem. The drive will be a short one.

How many miles have you pulled it since you owned it? A few might bother me, a lot might lend some degree of comfort that it will continue to perform the same.

Do you check your wheels & tires for heat buildup regularly when you are towing? If you have had no issues, then you may continue to get away with the same situation for one more weekend??????
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeC
If I were you I would at least crawl up under and take a look/see to be sure that no naked wires can touch metal and short out. If one of the dangling wires did short, it might blow a fuse or your brake controller leaving you with no trailer brakes.

My guess is that you would be okay for a short trip with 4 working brakes. There are lots of trailers out there that are heavier than our Airstreams and that have only 4 wheels.

I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on tv.

Good luck

Lee
This looks like good advice...err on the side of caution.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:40 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

I, too, agree with Lee's analysis and I also believe that you will experience an increase in magnet deterioration on the remaining four due to the need to make use the same stopping power with just four wheels. In other words, you will have the electrical power required (and set via the controller) of six magnets going to only four of them. Therefore, any prolonged use is not a good idea partly because you would also need to adjust the brake shoes after all is said and done to compensate for added wear on the four wheels.

Terry (aka Argosy20), what are your thoughts, now that I have put you on the spot?

Rick
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Hi!

I, too, own a 34' AS. You didn't state if the disconnected brakes were on the same axle. If they were on the same axle then you have reduced, even braking. Not a good situation but manageable. If, on the other hand, the disconnected brakes are on different axles you are causing undue stress on the axle & chassis because of differential braking. This can't be a good situation.

Bottom line is repair the broken wires and tow safely!

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I have secured the loose wires and they are not on the same axle. The repairs are in the making as of the posting.
WBCCI 14536
dbaverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaverb
Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I have secured the loose wires and they are not on the same axle. The repairs are in the making as of the posting.
Good luck with your brakes, hope all goes well. I just installed a Brakesmart controller in our truck. It is supposed to notify you if any of the wiring has problems. Should be interesting to find out if ti would have caught this??.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote