Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2002, 11:51 PM   #1
Don
1 Rivet Member

Question Electric Brake Controller Problem

Hi, I am a new member here and have been enjoying the posts. Keep up the good work! I am having a problem with my brake controller. I swapped it from one truck to my Burb and now it doesn't work properly. I have checked all the connections for continuity and they are good. The problem is I cannot send the signal to the trailer brakes to stop unless I manually actuate the switch on the controller itself while the brake pedal is being depressed.( the red led does not come on by pressing the brake pedal alone). Could my brake controller be bad or has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts would be appreciated on this matter. Thanks, Don
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Don. What make and model controller do you have? Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 10:39 AM   #3
Don
1 Rivet Member

Andy, Thanks for the reply. The model number is 81741A made by Hayes. I was able to find a manual online and will do some troubleshooting. It sounds like I have a short to ground somewhere. Here is the link to the picture of it. (notice the "discontinued")

http://www.hayes-lemmerz.com/product...lectronic.html

If you have any troubleshooting advice please feel free to give it. Thanks, Don
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Don,
Have you tried reconnecting it to the truck it came out of? try this simple troubleshooting, if it works when you do hook it up to the truck it came out of then the wiring is wrong when you hook it up to the 'burb, if it doesnt its internal.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:05 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Don,

I know my controller requires getting a signal from the line which runs off the brake pedal switch. If your controller requires this, have you checked to see if this connection is proper? If your controller cannot detect the change of the state of this switch, your controller will not send power to the brakes.

When you are in a manual mode that connection is not needed. Have you attempted to manually activate the brakes without stepping on the brake pedal? If they engage I would believe that the issue would be that wire to the brake pedal switch or line.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote