Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
E-Z Connector: Upgraded 7-Way

I've had this at the top of my list for a while . . with the caveat that I do not know much beyond what is available by company website and a single review.

I do know that I have not ever liked the standard plug we all use, whether on TT's or on 18-wheelers. Always prone to corrosion and it carries the constant blame for the phenomenon of needing the Queen Mary to stop the rig if it becomes disconnected (belief belied by TV weight and brake swept area), still . . . .

E-Z Connector

Mr.Trailer Review of E-Z Connector

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have looked at this system, and it appears to be very well made and thought out. It is also very expensive.

The one issue you might think about is that you will have no way to tow your AS with any other rig once you install this system. So, if an emergency situation arrises, your rig will be an orphan, with no way to hook up the lights or brakes.

We had this problem for a while when AS used the 7 wire round pin connector and everyone else had gone to the flat pin system. At that time I had two pigtails, one to adapt my AS to the flat pin system, and another so I could adapt my round pin TV to the flat pin connector, in case I needed to move someone else's rig. I used that one on the Alaskan highway one day to help a broken down rig get to a safe place for repairs. I was glad I had it made up.

Now, you could make up similar pigtails for this magnetic system, but that would double the cost of conversion.

Just something to think about.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
First I would have to see one in person. However I am a little skeptical.
Since I haven't seen one, the rest of my comments are based on supposition.

The thing the I am concerned about is the face to face contact. I do realize they are spring loaded, however each set of contacts would need to be in perfect face to face alignment and level with each other in order to carry much current.

In ordinary type plugs and sockets, the parts rub against each other when plugging and unplugging. That rubbing produces a little cleaning action. Therefore I insert and remove and wiggle the plug a couple of times at the start of a trip. I also spray the contact with a little electronic contact cleaner at the start of each trip, and I periodically lightly crimp the contacts with needle nose pliers. I also take care to ensure that the tab on the socket cover is seated properly over the tab on the cable.

The only times I have ever had a plug come loose were caused by the trailer cable getting caught on some part of the tongue or hitch. Therefore I am very carefully about the cable's placement and routing. However,I am thinking that I would rather have the cable pull out of the socket, than have the wiring permanently damaged. However I am guessing that this plug would also pull out under these conditions.

Just my initial thoughts. I think the best idea would be for you to buy it and install it and then let us know how it works.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I like the O-ring seal and magnetic attachment. They don't mention what material is used for the face-to-face contacts for them to be "corrosion free" though they might just mean that sealing the connection helps minimize corrosion.

The unrelated experience I've had with this style of electrical connection is very-low-voltage stuff... the CPU in some Solaris servers connected with a field of little gold nubs, and it worked fine... most of the time. 12V through a much-larger contact area should overcome the kinds of headaches we had with those CPU sockets, though.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Kinda cool but at $100 for a mating set very expensive.

I don't think trying to seal the contacts with O-rings is a good strategy. Better, in a high end product, to plate the contacts with a nonreactive metal like gold or any of a number of less expensive alternatives. The comments upthread about the lack of wiping action are also valid.

The 7-way round connectors used for semi trailers, though large, have an excellent track record and are cheap and available at any truck stop. The only disadvantage, compared to the EZ connector, is that they are damaged by forced disconnects. Proper support and routing of the umbilical will prevent this sort of thing.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The one issue you might think about is that you will have no way to tow your AS with any other rig once you install this system.

Adapters are now available.

The 7-way round connectors used for semi trailers, though large, have an excellent track record and are cheap and available at any truck stop.

Most of the big trucks I've driven have been older. Some well-maintained, and some not. I've had to pull over more than a few times to jimmy or "make" one work. I don't think they're really any better overall.

In ordinary type plugs and sockets, the parts rub against each other when plugging and unplugging. That rubbing produces a little cleaning action.

Yes, it should. But it is also difficult to clean if dirt/mud gets in it. And it will.

Granted these are travel trailers and not commercial vehicles, so the use can be more "careful" (not under the gun of a schedule).

I like the O-ring seal and magnetic attachment. They don't mention what material is used for the face-to-face contacts for them to be "corrosion free" though they might just mean that sealing the connection helps minimize corrosion.

Yes, and it "looks" as if it would be easier to clean, to keep clean.

Better, in a high end product, to plate the contacts with a nonreactive metal like gold or any of a number of less expensive alternatives.

The unrelated experience I've had with this style of electrical connection is very-low-voltage stuff... the CPU in some Solaris servers connected with a field of little gold nubs, and it worked fine.

An excellent point. One I'll bring up with them at time of purchase.

I think the best idea would be for you to buy it and install it and then let us know how it works

As soon as I can get this house back on the market and sold then there will be a new trailer. If no one else has, then, yes, it'll be me.

Here is a side-by-side comparison. Dirt-free continues to be the most attractive aspect along with the method of connection.

Video Review

Old 10-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The comparison link does point out one minor disadvantage (IMHO) of the E-Z Connector that they don't mention. It seems that the cover for the E-Z Connector when not in use is not captive... it's just a loose cover to keep track of while towing, remember to reinstall when not towing, etc. This seems minor, but things happen... people will remove the cover and place it on the bumper or the A-frame of the trailer while hitching up and leave it there. Perhaps it's built in such a way that the magnet might contact the A-frame and stay there, assuming you put it magnet-side down, but lots of tow vehicles have plastic covers over the steel bumper so the magnet might not help at all if placed on top of the bumper.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As with all of the other responses: Yup, there'd better be value through and through for the price.

Another good point, DKB-SATX.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i saw them at the hershey pa rv show. i played with it and didn't see anything that would keep me from buying one. the price did keep me from an impulse buy, lol. nothing beats a long road test ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
WD-40 works perfectly to keep the pins & contacts clean on trailer plugs.
It's also great for cleaning mud/debris out of the parts, and is a desicant, so it drives moisture out. Also is non-conductive.
You can also spray it in the distributor cap of your TV if it gets water in it (for those of us with "antique" vehicles that have points).
A "must have" in your toolbox anyway.
I'm too cheap to buy the fancy stuff! :-)
edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The Pollack 7 round pin connector, does a great job, without any issues.

It duplicates "aircraft" type connectors, since the terminals are self cleaning, simply by plugging it in.

The "flat" blade connectors, by far, are the very worst, since one grain of sand can stop a circuit from working.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1998 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Fan of Hella

In Europe many manufacturers use Hella as the OEM supplier of their vehicle mounted sockets. They are made of Dupont Norell styrene. The bodies are very tough, not hurt by sunlight, and last forever. The contacts are still however made of brass, but I have seen, and do have some made of bronze. I have never had one fail or offer problems due to water/mud ingress!

The whole assembly is not offered in the USA, but can be had through European suppliers.

Keep in mind the pin configuration is different than the miserable 7 way here, but at this price you can make an adapter for an emergency tow with the conventional 7 round.
Attached Images

Maniscalco's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
WD-40 works perfectly to keep the pins & contacts clean on trailer plugs.
It's also great for cleaning mud/debris out of the parts, and is a desicant, so it drives moisture out. Also is non-conductive.
You can also spray it in the distributor cap of your TV if it gets water in it (for those of us with "antique" vehicles that have points).
A "must have" in your toolbox anyway.
I'm too cheap to buy the fancy stuff! :-)
I'm not trying to be picky, just trying to clarify, and I do agree that WD-40 will displace water. However it is not a desiccant. Most desiccants dry by absorbing water vapor. If most desiccants are heated sufficiently they will releases their moisture again. So a desiccant would just exacerbate a lot of the problems that WD-40 is used for. (with the possible exception of curing arthritis)

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Manfam View Post
In Europe many manufacturers use Hella as the OEM supplier of their vehicle mounted sockets. They are made of Dupont Norell styrene. The bodies are very tough, not hurt by sunlight, and last forever. The contacts are still however made of brass, but I have seen, and do have some made of bronze. I have never had one fail or offer problems due to water/mud ingress!

The whole assembly is not offered in the USA, but can be had through European suppliers.

Keep in mind the pin configuration is different than the miserable 7 way here, but at this price you can make an adapter for an emergency tow with the conventional 7 round.
The nice thing about "different" is that it is slightly a theft deterrent. Thanks for bringing this up the piece by Hella. I'd not seen it before.

The POLLAK-style as mentioned above is "better", in this I concur. But I've still had to dig dirt/corrosion from them. Bugs, too. It has been the "default" choice in my mind.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I've gone to an 8-way cable - with 'twisty' wire ends...being color blind makes 'twisting' the proper wires a real challenge, however...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8 way cable.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	143956   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC_insulated_electric_twisted_wire_Hot_sale.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	143957  

Old 10-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1998 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Different is sometimes good

I agree, in regards to a slight theft deterrent, different is good.
In the event you need to be rescued/towed, odds are a tow truck will have temporary/magnetic lights that can be stuck to the bumper......

I guess it all comes down to overall functionality, quality, durability and cost...

I have used the Hella EXTENSIVELY...
never a problem. Your find liiks good too.
I would caution against the WD40... it is an oil, will ultimately harm plastics, and WILL attract dirt.
I think the name of the game is preventing the ingress of water and gook.
Some people think silicone grease prevents corrosion, it does, but it is also a dielectric, and will prevent the flow of electrons.
Maniscalco's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
True, WD-40 is oil based (no, it's no longer "fish oil"), and I couldn't imagine how the first person discovered it's good for "Ruemytism", but I've used it for many years for automotive use. It has never caused any problem with the plastic on the trailer plugs, and like you say, the best course is to keep the grime OUT of the connector. The WD-40 helps to repel the water from inside the contacts of the plug and creates a thin barrier, which prevents corrosion. I also spray it heavily into the plug assembly if it's accumulated dirt and grime. It flushes the gunk out.
Typically, the TV plug gets dirt and water into it, no matter what, since the cover isn't watertight. So you have to clean it out someway. Dirt is dirt. Doesn't matter how it gets there.
I've had great luck with WD-40.
Just my 2 cents.
edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Did more of a search for reviews last night. Not much yet, except with the horse trailer crowd.

Here's an install for a 5'er a couple of years ago:

Dunechasers

Toyhauler Magazine Review

Tags
brake, harness, 7 pin