Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Drum Brake inspection on Nevr-Lube axles

I talked to a local shop (not Airstream) about doing a brake inspection and to track down a squeak on one of the axles on my 2010 27FB, with Nevr-lube Dexter axles and drum brakes. I was surprised when he said that, because of the Nevr-Lube hubs, he needs a special tool and drain the grease out of the hub in order to remove the drum. Although I had not done it myself, I thought that once the wheel is removed, the drum just pulls off.

Sounds odd that a no-maintenance bearing needs to be disassembled in order to do routine periodic maintenance on the brakes. Needless to say, I walked, and am now doing some more research, and probably just do it myself. Are there any special tools or procedures needed to remove the drums?
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Well, well, well, it looks like the drums don't just slide off.....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...le-119933.html
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
They have a retaining nut, like any other hub, but there is no "special tool and drain the grease out of the hub in order to remove the drum". Just a large socket/wrench, snap ring pliers and it slides off the spindle. It is pressed into the drum (or disc) hub, but you don't press out unless you need to replace the bearing. The grease is sealed in the bearing set and has no "draining" nor repacking provision.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote