Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
Dragging brake pads

Electric over hydraulic brakes are dragging. Today, I removed one of the wheel's pads. My 'help' pressed the brake pedal and the piston did not move. However, when she operated the slide on my Kelsey controller, the piston moved out and I saw that the boot was torn. Hydraulic fluid flowed onto the concrete. I'm not sure if the breakage was due to the pads not in place? Also, I don't why the pedal didn't engaged the piston? There is one piston per caliper.
__________________

__________________
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Slide Out Society #001
 
GCinSC2's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,053
All right, one piston per caliper. That describes a floating caliper. The caliper assembly can move or slide on its caliper mounting bolts. I think a pic might help. Is your piston metallic or non metallic? Again, if the caliper is not able to slide then it can drag, I bet most likely on the side opposite the piston. Are these Dexter's, Kodiak or unknown?
__________________

__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,651
Blog Entries: 13
Most controllers sense deceleration and then apply a proportional signal to the brake actuator (or electric brakes) to match the trailer braking effort to the TV effort.

If you are not moving, no deceleration, no output.

Actuating the brakes manually with a pad removed sure could lead to what you experienced as the piston traveled well past where it normally would -- might have rolled a seal as well.

Mike
__________________
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlgeezer View Post
Electric over hydraulic brakes are dragging. Today, I removed one of the wheel's pads. My 'help' pressed the brake pedal and the piston did not move. However, when she operated the slide on my Kelsey controller, the piston moved out and I saw that the boot was torn. Hydraulic fluid flowed onto the concrete. I'm not sure if the breakage was due to the pads not in place? Also, I don't why the pedal didn't engaged the piston? There is one piston per caliper.
The pistons can seize.

After 34 years you should overhaul the calipers.

The "O" rings and "BOOTS" are available.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
All right, one piston per caliper. That describes a floating caliper. The caliper assembly can move or slide on its caliper mounting bolts. I think a pic might help. Is your piston metallic or non metallic? Again, if the caliper is not able to slide then it can drag, I bet most likely on the side opposite the piston. Are these Dexter's, Kodiak or unknown?
For some reason, I think Kodiak. Appeared to dragging on the side away from the piston, according to the position of the pads when I first removed the wheel.

Sorry, but I haven't yet learned how to paste pictures into my posts. Thanks.
__________________
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlgeezer View Post
For some reason, I think Kodiak. Appeared to dragging on the side away from the piston, according to the position of the pads when I first removed the wheel.

Sorry, but I haven't yet learned how to paste pictures into my posts. Thanks.
If the disc brakes are originals, the manufacturer is Ausco.

We still have some of the original parts.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Slide Out Society #001
 
GCinSC2's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
If the disc brakes are originals, the manufacturer is Ausco.

We still have some of the original parts.

Andy
Now you're getting veteran experience with the older stuff. No old timer jokes intended Andy. The part config might be different, but principles still apply.
__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
If the disc brakes are originals, the manufacturer is Ausco.

We still have some of the original parts.

Andy
I guess you haven't moved to Texas yet. How can I tell who is the mgf of the brakes (or what type)? Are they labeled somewhere? I assume brake parts are listed on your website, but don't have time to look right now before work.
__________________
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlgeezer View Post
I guess you haven't moved to Texas yet. How can I tell who is the mgf of the brakes (or what type)? Are they labeled somewhere? I assume brake parts are listed on your website, but don't have time to look right now before work.
All you can do is look for labels.

Or, send or post a photo.

We do not show all of our parts on our web site.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
All you can do is look for labels.

Or, send or post a photo.

We do not show all of our parts on our web site.

Andy
Andy, Yes, I found the label Ausco. I will probably need to replace rubber boot and rings in each of four calipers. Also, want to put new disc pads on. I probably should replace the flex brake lines (they have a unique 90 deg end). One rotor will need replacement (or turned).
I am wondering if I should replace these out of production calipers with newer brands?
__________________
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
I am wondering now, if I am going to be forced to abandon the existing Dexter actuator and hydraulic accessories and revert to electric brakes. I have exhausted all local brake shops, and apparently even Andy is having problems locating pads for the AUSCO brake calipers that are presently on the trailer. I wanted to stay with the system I now have, but it's camping time and I can't wait much longer. I guess I will be looking at $400 for electric assemblies with new hubs for my two new Dexter axles. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
__________________
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlgeezer View Post
I am wondering now, if I am going to be forced to abandon the existing Dexter actuator and hydraulic accessories and revert to electric brakes. I have exhausted all local brake shops, and apparently even Andy is having problems locating pads for the AUSCO brake calipers that are presently on the trailer. I wanted to stay with the system I now have, but it's camping time and I can't wait much longer. I guess I will be looking at $400 for electric assemblies with new hubs for my two new Dexter axles. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I am not having problems locating, but I am having problems getting it done in a reasonable timely manner.

We will in 2 to 3 weeks, once again have the original type disc brake pads.

10 minutes later.

Oops. Just got off the phone, placing the pad order.

We will have them in 10 days, or less.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
Thanks Andy.
__________________
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 81
Andy, What's the latest word on the brake pads ?
__________________

__________________
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.