Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Buttercup,

Dexter 4 piston hydraulic brakes, right?

Any chance for some pics for us to ponder with?

I re-did my calipers and did not damage any boots. After installing the piston seal in the housing I would install the new boot on the piston only seating the ID of the seal in the groove. Then I placed the piston in the bore lubricated the piston and seal and used a shop drill press as an insertion press and carefully pushed the pinton down a bit. Then I seated the seal OD in the caliper housing and carefully burped the boot and helped set the seal folds.

Any rust issues in the caliper housing or on the pistons?

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Gary,

The originals are the original that came with the trailer, not Dexter but yes, 4 piston. I removed the old vacuum actuator and installed a Dexter E/H actuator that has served faithfully every day. . A few years ago I did post some pictures of the work I did with them HERE. You can see what they looked like. I don't really have any riust issues on the calipers, they are overall in decent condition. I suspect that the bushings pressed in them are questionable. I did replace the pad pins with new pins my brother machined for me, and that helped a little, but still the caliper posts that it rides on is so hammered down that they still banged around all the time.
One thing I did discover was that there was evidence from day one of this problem and perhaps an item to remember if you ever inspect a trailer for someone. The pads I pulled out during my first repack, prior to hauling her home, has the ears peened down.
This is the As Found picture of the street side wheel well

And this is the very first brake pad...See the flared out metal on the ears?

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Buttercup,

Really different than the Dexters on mine. My calipers are fixed position yours float. Yours 1 piston per caliper, mine 4 pistons per caliper. Yours o-ring mine square ring. Our dust seals look similar.

IMHO the dust seals are critical big time elements.

The limited work I have done on cars, the floating calipers float but they hold position and allow for wear, they don't wiggle loosely.

PM to follow.

Good luck.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #32
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Gary, thanks. Got it. 4 pistons per caliper, heh? I am going to have to look at, never saw that before.

In my case, those calipers float freely, TOO freely!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
After installing the discs and re-assembling everything, I discovered that the controller on the F250 was possibly bad. So, I purchase another one and things started looking up. I actually had brakes when I engaged the pedal.
Last weekend, my wife reluctantly accompanied me on a short trial run of about 5 miles. At first everything appeared to be working as it should, then I lost my trailer brakes. After getting back to our home, I saw that a wheel had brake fluid splattered all over.
This morning I found that I had lost a top clevis pin and two expensive new brake discs. And, the caliper piston had broke its boot allowing the fluid to flow out.
I've ordered more discs from Mr. Andy along with other needed brake parts. I purchased 8 bronze bushings at $12 each to replace at each caliper. Along with everything else on this Airstream, these parts are expensive and I don't want to mess up the bushings during installation. Is there anyone who has removed and replaced the pin bushings that can offer advice? Should I pay a machine shop to remove and press new ones in place? Or, is this something my shop vice can handle?

BTW, I did finally figure how to replace the piston boot, so replacing it shouldn't be the problem it was for me before.

After a year since purchase, I hope to get this thing rolling and link up with a club somewhere. Thanks ahead for any suggestions.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Check the posts in this thread for 6/62006. I posted ausco parts and other info.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
Check the posts in this thread for 6/62006. I posted ausco parts and other info.
Excella CM, can you be a little more specific please?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlgeezer View Post
Excella CM, can you be a little more specific please?
You can remove the original caliper bushings by using a proper size "socket"

The diameter of the socket should be a little less than the bushing outer diameter.

Either press the old bushings out, or you can hammer them out, using the socket.

Then press the new bushings in place the same way you used to take out the old ones.

Andy
Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
check response #12 for two pictures.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ers-23325.html

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote