Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Don’t Forget to Adjust Your Airstream's Brakes

Our last camping trip of this season saw The Mighty Burb doing ALL the braking during some fairly steep, downhill grades. While this truck is an extremely capable tow vehicle, it was not happy. But it rose to the challenge, and kept us safe. I was not happy either, as I had "just" replaced the axles complete with new brakes.

Troubleshooting after our slow return, I found that time flies, and I had just forgotten that my Airstream's brakes had accumulated too many miles on them without adjustment. The complete tale can be read here.

Don't let complacency sneak up on you like I did. Adjust electric trailer brakes after no more than 6000 miles of travel.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thats a good reminder Tom.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Another good reason to consider installing Dexter NevRJust brakes the next time you need brake service. Self adjusting brakes eliminates this potential risk.

These brakes are now available as a complete backing plate replacement for $50 each which is less expensive than replacing existing lines, magnets, etc.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We...I mean me...Pull a bearing PM every Fall. As suc the brakes get checked and adjusted while the hubs are off. Steep grades and poor trailer braking me.

Thanks for the reminder.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I pull the wheels and adjust every spring as I put about 15-20k miles on the trailer each year. I have a straight shift diesel with an exhaust brake and I get teriffice mileage on the trailer brakes as the engine does most of the normal braking, specially on off ramps and downgrades.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Last month I inspected my brake magnets and found that they were so worn the copper spooling was exposed. Had to replace all six magnets at $35 a magnet. Trailer brakes are now working perfectly.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
Another good reason to consider installing Dexter NevRJust brakes the next time you need brake service. Self adjusting brakes eliminates this potential risk.

These brakes are now available as a complete backing plate replacement for $50 each which is less expensive than replacing existing lines, magnets, etc.
Do you know if these brakes are standard on new axles? I just put new Dexters on my '73 and don't recall any mention of this when I ordered them. I did have to adjust my brakes during installation.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Do you know if these brakes are standard on new axles? I just put new Dexters on my '73 and don't recall any mention of this when I ordered them. I did have to adjust my brakes during installation.

Jim
New axles come with new brakes. you are good to go for a few years on the brake front. that does not preclude you from greasing the bearings every year or so depending on use.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Thanks for the heads up on this. I recently experienced problems braking going down steep passes over the Rockies and had some front end wobble in the TV. I replaced the front rotors and will test them on our trip south in January. In the mean time I will have the trailer brakes inspected before I go and give you a report on their condition. I suspect they are partly to blame for my original problem. This is the thread relating to my problem and people's helpful responses http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...des-57926.html

Thanks

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Does anyone know if the new backing plates work with the screw in lug studs (not bolts) that the older trailers use? My current hubs don't use lug nuts....
Thanks!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Does anyone know if the new backing plates work with the screw in lug studs (not bolts) that the older trailers use? My current hubs don't use lug nuts....
Thanks!
Marc
The style hubs you have, has nothing to do with the electric brakes, either manual or self adjusting.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
New axles come with new brakes. you are good to go for a few years on the brake front. that does not preclude you from greasing the bearings every year or so depending on use.
Agreed. What I'm asking is:

Do ALL NEW DEXTERS come with this NevRJust feature?

I've not heard of this specific feature on Dexter axles before.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just had my bearings done and brakes adjusted, and when I got home and parked it I stepped out and could smell something which I associate with brakes. My husband thought so too. I watched him back it into the carport and I could hear the brakes hum when activated, they seemed to be behaving normally, and it felt normal on the drive home. I wonder if what I was smelling was just because they had adjusted them and maybe they were dragging a bit or something? Should I be concerned or is that normal?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Maybe, and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
.. Should I be concerned or is that normal?
Your description sounds like your brake shop set the brakes up a little too tight.

The proper adjustment of manual-adjust brakes is apparently somewhat subjective. Some mechanics feel the shoes need to drag more than other mechanics do.

At this point, you have two options. Jack one side of your American Classic up, and spin a wheel and "be one" with the amount of effort. Decide for yourself if it is too much effort.

Option two is to call the boyz up at the shop, and determine if they share your concern.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet brake smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I just had my bearings done and brakes adjusted, and when I got home and parked it I stepped out and could smell something which I associate with brakes. My husband thought so too. I watched him back it into the carport and I could hear the brakes hum when activated, they seemed to be behaving normally, and it felt normal on the drive home. I wonder if what I was smelling was just because they had adjusted them and maybe they were dragging a bit or something? Should I be concerned or is that normal?
If you smelled the brake linings (unless you did a panic stop or fast deceleration from 60mph just before pulling in), you should have the shop check to see if they are to tight. Some drag is good, to much and they will heat up and cause the burning smell you may be experiencing.
Better safe than sorry in bluing the drums/discs.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I called them and they said to bring it back in to check it out. They said they shouldn't be dragging at all. So one more trip to the shop...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Agreed. What I'm asking is:

Do ALL NEW DEXTERS come with this NevRJust feature?

I've not heard of this specific feature on Dexter axles before.

Jim
Hi Jim,
The Nev r adjust brakes are recent product. I am pretty sure that it is not, even now , standard on all Dexter axles.
I do know that they are standard on 2010 A/S classics, but I don't know about the rest of the lines. My trailer also came standard with Dexter's Nev R lube hubs.

Here are a couple links.

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...djust_4-09.pdf

http://www.dexteraxle.com/nev_r_lube_bearings

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...rings_2-08.pdf

regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote