Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Do these brake lines look right?

I was under the trailer today and noticed the port, left side of the trailer brake lines looked normal. The starboard side, right looked a little out of wack. Both brakes had lines hanging freely? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it's not suppose to look like that. Gonna send the pics to AS and see what they say. It's a 2017 25 FT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	288537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	288538  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	288539  
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
The slack in the wires is not particularly unusual--I always thought AS was fairly casual about routing brake wiring--but I have never seen a problem result from it.

But from the picture of your starboard brake it looks like one of the splices has separated so that brake is actually no longer connected. You might or might not notice it on the road.

For what it's worth, in the RV biz the port side is normally referred to as the "road" side and the starboard side is called the "curb" side. At least in the US, where we drive on the right side of the road.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Senior, definitely not right. Loose ends hanging and bad connections from the factory. That black tubing may be heatvshrink that was never shrunk onto the wires.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't think so but wanted to double check. Have a Happy 4th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Senior, definitely not right. Loose ends hanging and bad connections from the factory. That black tubing may be heatvshrink that was never shrunk onto the wires.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
I need to get with the lingo! Thanks for the lesson. Used to the nautical terms. Have a Happy 4th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
The slack in the wires is not particularly unusual--I always thought AS was fairly casual about routing brake wiring--but I have never seen a problem result from it.

But from the picture of your starboard brake it looks like one of the splices has separated so that brake is actually no longer connected. You might or might not notice it on the road.

For what it's worth, in the RV biz the port side is normally referred to as the "road" side and the starboard side is called the "curb" side. At least in the US, where we drive on the right side of the road.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCS View Post
I need to get with the lingo! Thanks for the lesson. Used to the nautical terms. Have a Happy 4th!
From a retired ETC, I use Port & Starboard also, so no big deal.

Looks like there needs to be some QA on the brakes. I don't see a connector & they didn't even heat the shrink tube over the connection.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
Interesting timing on this post, as I just had an issue with the very same. Upon leaving a recent campsite, I always check the trailer brakes independently of the truck when moving slow. Brakes seemed to be 25 percent of normal, so I raised the # from a usual of 6, to 9, and would take a closer look at the next camp.
Next stop was Devil's Tower. After a long downhill riding the brakes all the way, I found I had next-to-no brakes turning into the park! My 20 footer pushed me all the way down the hill without contributing. Once set up, I could see street-side brake wires pulled away like yours, with a broken wire under the crimp/shrink. It appeared they had snagged on something to pull them away and break a wire.
Lucky I carry crimps, heat shrink and a heat gun like everyone else!
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I'd say you've got two brakes that don't work because of disconnected wires! I always test the brakes by moving the controller by hand when I first start driving. Rolling forward at about 5 MPH I expect to lock all trailer wheels on dirt, grass or gravel surface, or stop abruptley on pavement using just trailer brakes to make sure all are working.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:57 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCS View Post
I was under the trailer today and noticed the port, left side of the trailer brake lines looked normal. The starboard side, right looked a little out of wack. Both brakes had lines hanging freely? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it's not suppose to look like that. Gonna send the pics to AS and see what they say. It's a 2017 25 FT.
Looks like the wires caught on something, and got torn loose/off. The "something" could have been almost anything that happened to snag it, but the good news is, it's an easy field repair with a butt splice connector and some electrical tape.