Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Holmen , Wisconsin
Do I need to check brakes

I have 1984 Sovereign that I have owned for 6 years. We have never noticed any issues while towing it that would suggest an issue. Just curious when we should have the brakes checked or tires rotated? We a have some big trips coming up and I was just wondering about the brakes.
moorebree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Good idea to check and repack the wheel bearings, check the brakes, and see how old the tires are. If you have had it 6 years and never replaced the tires, your time is almost up. Better to replace them when you want to, rather than when you have to, after you have a blowout and do several thousand dollars in damage and ruin your trip! Do a complete unit checkover and then you should have a safe and enjoyable trip. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I agree completely. "Axle maintenance" is important on our Airstreams. Most folks do brake and bearing maintenance every year along with tire inspection and rotation. Tires have about a 5 year life span independent of tread depth.

Packing bearings and adjusting brakes is not terribly difficult. I recommend you get it done before your next trip.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Holmen , Wisconsin
We replaced the tires 2 years ago. I am thinking a brake check is best since we are headed on a high mileage trip this year. Thanks
Old 05-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
I was wondering about rotating tires. In a car, you have quite different tire exposure from power and steering so the front and back tires wear differently.
But on a 2 axle trailer, does it really matter?
Manning
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorebree View Post
I have 1984 Sovereign that I have owned for 6 years. We have never noticed any issues while towing it that would suggest an issue. Just curious when we should have the brakes checked or tires rotated? We a have some big trips coming up and I was just wondering about the brakes.
Quote:
We replaced the tires 2 years ago. I am thinking a brake check is best since we are headed on a high mileage trip this year. Thanks
If you have not checked brakes in 6 years, that means the wheels have not been off to grease the bearings. Grease the wheel bearings before your trip. If they have been neglected for 6 years this is WAY PAST DUE!!! The grease seals will need to be replace too.

While the drums are off during the grease job, the breaks will be exposed to be inspected.

It's also easy to rotate tires at this time.

Look at the maintenance schedule in the Owners Manual, to check for other things that are needed.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Holmen , Wisconsin
Do you think someone that has never done this on any vehicle could do it with some video help on youtube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
If you have not checked brakes in 6 years, that means the wheels have not been off to grease the bearings. Grease the wheel bearings before your trip. If they have been neglected for 6 years this is WAY PAST DUE!!! The grease seals will need to be replace too.

While the drums are off during the grease job, the breaks will be exposed to be inspected.

Look at the maintenance schedule in the Owners Manual, to check for other things that are needed.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Absolutely. It can be messy but the process is simple. Be very careful repacking the bearings -- you really need to fill the bearing cage with fresh grease. You Tube is your friend.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Do you think someone that has never done this on any vehicle could do it with some video help on youtube?
Yes! Lots of good stuff on the internet.
Everyone who does it now also did it the first time. It requires a little knowledge and a little learned skill.
Just be extremely careful lifting the trailer. Use proper blocking, cribbing, or jack stands. Don't want to hurt you or someone else.
It's a dirty job, but fairly simple.

Understand what you are looking for regarding brake inspection, before starting the grease job.
Take off one or two of the wheel hubs and look. If excessive wear is apparent, a complete kit (hub, brakes, bearings, seal, etc) can be purchased less expensively than purchasing parts individually.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #10
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Tire rotation is not as critical on a trailer as it is on a TV. The trailer has no wheels that turn for steering and has no wheels that drive or propel the vehicle. Rotating is nice and every couple of years or so would be good.

More critical is wheel hub inspection/service. Assuming you use your trailer every year (versus being parked as a lot of trailers are parked) Airstream recommends annual wheel bearing repack and brake inspection. Always consult the owner's manual.

A wheel bearing repack isn't difficult as noted above. It is messy. The most critical step is proper tightening or pre-loading of the wheel bearings upon reassembly. To get precise and consistent invest in an inch pound torque wrench and a socket that fits the wheel bearing nut.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Just had brakes checked at local Airstream dealer on my 2017 international.
One brake non functioning as a part was dangling unattached due to improper installation at time of original install. Just put on new tires and will have brakes checked every few years. Cost to have brakes checked at dealer is $200/axle.
Plus parts and additional labor if a problem is found. Do some of you do your own brakes and is it difficult and require alot of specialty tools? What mileage intervals would you check the brakes?
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The most difficult ( and critical part ) of the job is the tightening of the axel nut at re-assembly. And it's not that difficult just critical. I do mine myself and am due this year but just not done it yet. I put a lot of miles on and think the yearly job is overkill but every 2nd or 3yd year for sure. I feel the hubs frequently for excessive heat and have never felt anything but barely warm. I don't rotate the tires but do look at the wear pattern frequently. Probably near 40k on them and still lots of tread and even wear.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Just remember trailer wheels can only be rotated front to back, not side to side.
I have never torqued bearing nuts on any vehicle. You just tighten the nut hard to ensure the cones are seated on the cups then loosen and snug by hand till tight.Next back off to the first available castellation and lock it with the cotter pin. My experience is that there is always one wheel that seems looser than the rest...has never made a difference when I do the next service. Bearings are somewhat tolerable of being a bit loose but not over tightend. If one wheel bearing has blacker coloured grease than the others, that is a sign of bearing trouble, especially if the bearing was correctly adjusted. Clean thoroughly and look for checks and scratches on the cups or chipped rollers. Dry bearings should spin cleanly by hand without roughness.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I’m religious about checking brakes and repacking every 10,000 miles, and re-torquing the wheels after having the service.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #15
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Easy Peasy

My expertise is with trucks, but looking at the tag axle on my Revcon, I think this advice would be correct. Assuming Jack stands + bottle jack or plastic axle lifts, you can do each wheel in 30-45 minutes. Take photos if you need to re-do brakes. Add 30 minutes for each side for brakes.

There is a primary & secondary shoe (check location of friction material on each shoe), otherwise not difficult. Confirm there's no wheel cylinder leakage which would require a new wheel cylinder or replacing the cups & springs (probably available @ NAPA). Bleeding brakes on a trailer? I need additional info as that's above my pay grade.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Just remember trailer wheels can only be rotated front to back, not side to side.
<< snip>>
I'm wondering why you say this?

My experience has been; it is not uncommon for the curbside front wheel/tire to develop an out of align condition over years of use. That is the spindle that gets the most abuse from driving over curbs.

I always move the wheels/tires on the front axle straight back. Then I move the wheels/tires on the rear to the front, switching the right rear to the left front and left rear to the right front.

I've been doing this on all of my two axle trailers for several years, to keep wear patterns similar on all tires. I never wear out the tread before the tire is old and in need of replacement.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #17
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I have never torqued bearing nuts on any vehicle. You just tighten the nut hard to ensure the cones are seated on the cups then loosen and snug by hand till tight.Next back off to the first available castellation and lock it with the cotter pin. Dry bearings should spin cleanly by hand without roughness.
JCW
Here's my method, taught to me decades ago by an old timer.
1. Tighten till seated while spinning the wheel and tire then back off till you get a slight "rock" when gripping the tire top and bottom. Then snug till "rock" is gone or nearly gone and go up to next castellation, insert a NEW cotter pin.

2. I was also told never spin a dry bearing but I do rotate them around in my hand to inspect.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Tire rotation is not as critical on a trailer as it is on a TV. The trailer has no wheels that turn for steering and has no wheels that drive or propel the vehicle. Rotating is nice and every couple of years or so would be good.

More critical is wheel hub inspection/service. Assuming you use your trailer every year (versus being parked as a lot of trailers are parked) Airstream recommends annual wheel bearing repack and brake inspection. Always consult the owner's manual.

A wheel bearing repack isn't difficult as noted above. It is messy. The most critical step is proper tightening or pre-loading of the wheel bearings upon reassembly. To get precise and consistent invest in an inch pound torque wrench and a socket that fits the wheel bearing nut.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
If you want even tire wear on your trailer, rotate the tires, I do it every year, that is 10-12000 miles.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post

Your expert opinion held a lot of weight with me; until you spelt brakes, "breaks".

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:28 AM   #20
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
With spell-check on a computer or on my phone, I've become a lot more forgiving when it comes to spelling errors.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote