Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern South View Post
So I am guessing this is something I add to my vehicle and not the trailer? Any clue how much it costs? Are you still towing the Caravel without brakes?
Yes...to the truck. They range in price from $25-$150. You can get them al Wal-Mart, or any fine retail or online establishment. The Prodigy is a favorite among Airstreamers
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Yes...to the truck. They range in price from $25-$150. You can get them al Wal-Mart, or any fine retail or online establishment. The Prodigy is a favorite among Airstreamers
My need some wiring as well, if your tow vehicle doesn't already have a seven-pin connector.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
We have the seven pin connector already! At least one thing in our favor! Thanks for advice!
Modern South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
The prodigy controllers have adapters to plug straight into the the wiring harness of many newer cars/trucks. It was really plug and play. Very easy to use. It has alerts if the brakes are not working correctly, and has a boost function.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
We have the seven pin connector already! At least one thing in our favor! Thanks for advice!
Check all functions afterwards...I have an 04 ford with a 7 pin, however the charge line actually terminates near the fuel tank. If yours does, you will need an adaptor between the terminating point and the 7 pin connector...available online for about $50.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Thanks for the info. What we really need is one of you guys as our next door neighbor! I will let everyone know how it turns out after we take it to the shop....Hopefully our wallet will survive! (maybe we should have bought at donkey or rented a sherpa instead...)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
Stop my Caravel

Yes my Caravel now has fully functioning brakes, all I needed was a brake controller. I also learned that the best brake to use on steep grades is the engine. My mech. cousin told me to always use the trailer mode on my truck when towing to prevent overheating the transmission. In trailer mode the shift points are adjusted by the computer to increase rpm and prevent the trany. from going into overdrive. He also told me to ALWAYS shift down manually with the automatic trans. when going down a steep grade to prevent overheating the brakes and that it would be ok if the tach. went up to around 2,800+ rpm before I would have to start pulsing the brakes to slow down. I've used his advise towing my heavier Safari and haven't had any problems since. Also you have to learn how to adjust the brake controller for the different conditions and roads. This is easily done on mine with a dial on the brake controller. In the mountains I turn it up in the city I turn it down.
altnbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Wow. Great advice! I will have Hubby read all replies again this evening. The odds of me getting to drive and pull in the mountains aren't very high! The details about the brake controller will help a lot.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
One more question did you have to replace the brakes or did the previous owner do it?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
Brakes

When I had my brakes checked after my near miss we found that the brakes were never used. The brake shoes and drums had zero wear and the round brake magnets had zero wear. Even though it appeared to be original parts from 67 in perfect condition my cousin recommended that since I had it apart, I replace the wear parts (shoes, springs,bearings and axle grease seals ) . If I remember, in 2008 all parts were less than $100. Looking back I should have applied this cost to a complete(with brakes) new axle because I am looking to replace it now. But at the time it made sense to repair what I had.
altnbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #51
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Caroline,

If you didn't know there is a Forum get together at Carowinds outside Charlotte 3/15-17, over 30 rigs so far. Lots of AS veterans and a chance to rub elbows get questions and discussions from the mostly SC/NC gang attanding. Contact Sandlapper for details, also posted in forum calendar.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #52
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
I have been towing my 1973 29ft without brakes all over the east coast last couple of years..is it ideal?...no..I would much rather have brakes and plan to install all new stuff soon...I did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway last Fall with no trailer brakes...I pull with an F350 Diesel dually and warped both front rotors coming down into Cherokee at end of the trip... I have been an over the road truck driver my entire life and have always had to drive junk for a living..I have the experience to do stupid stuff like that...I drive decent speed...keep surroundings in focus..but you can't see everything coming...I would suggest you fix your brakes for safety. I am doing a few thousand miles next couple of weeks with no trailer brakes...but plan to repair them before my next trip out....
Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #53
Rivet Master

A few other tips

My brother lives in Colorado. He calls me a flatlander. He schooled me not to ride the brakes down hill. The mountain peoples say it is better to stop and go, when you are going down long steep hills.
Also, for your transmissions sake, don't use overdrive unless you are on a very flat highway. The constant shifting can do damage. And I would strongly suggest a transmission cooler.
I even try to NOT travel during the hottest part of the day. I have heard too many stories about blown transmissions. ( My tow vehicle is also my work vehicle )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #54
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Here's another hint: check out if it works! There is more than one way to hook up the wires they carry, and the time to find out about that is as soon as possible.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Once again thanks for the advice, especially the driving advice! That is huge and something we would have probably had to learn more about the hard way! There should be another thread on driving advice....maybe there is and I have just missed it. Also to GC in SC2 , I would have loved to have made that rally near Carowinds, but we have plans that weekend to go to the music festival in Savannah! Keep me posted on future camping dates!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #56
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
That is huge and something we would have probably had to learn more about the hard way!
Which reminds me of an old saying, that the only real difference between a disaster and an adventure is whether you live to tell a good story about it later.

Here's hoping you have many adventures, and no disasters.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #57
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Which reminds me of an old saying, that the only real difference between a disaster and an adventure is whether you live to tell a good story about it later.

Here's hoping you have many adventures, and no disasters.
Another old saying added to yours was, "no underwear to clean".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #58
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by altnbndr View Post
I also learned that the best brake to use on steep grades is the engine. My mech. cousin told me to always use the trailer mode on my truck when towing to prevent overheating the transmission. In trailer mode the shift points are adjusted by the computer to increase rpm and prevent the trany. from going into overdrive. .

The owner's manual of most late model (Say in the last 25 years) TV will have instrustions on how to operate the TV when towing. Owner's manuals are very thick for a reason, they contain a lot of information on a very complex piece of machinery. Vehicles that are built after the 80's do more with less than vehicles prior to that. And that is part of the reason the cost is double or triple from 25 years ago.

If you are going to jump in and "run" to the grocery store to pick up some milk, not much instruction is needed. Looking to operate a 7000 + pound total load that is 40 + feet in total length, please get the instructions needed to do this task with out damage or injury. The manuals that came with both the tow vehicle (TV) and the towed load (trailer) were designed to guide the operator in safe operation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #59
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
I have been towing my 1973 29ft without brakes all over the east coast last couple of years..is it ideal?...no..I would much rather have brakes and plan to install all new stuff soon...I did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway last Fall with no trailer brakes...I pull with an F350 Diesel dually and warped both front rotors coming down into Cherokee at end of the trip... I have been an over the road truck driver my entire life and have always had to drive junk for a living..I have the experience to do stupid stuff like that...I drive decent speed...keep surroundings in focus..but you can't see everything coming...I would suggest you fix your brakes for safety. I am doing a few thousand miles next couple of weeks with no trailer brakes...but plan to repair them before my next trip out....
How many times a day do you count your blessings?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #60
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

How many times a day do you count your blessings?

Andy
Well they are working this trip....pretty happy about that.....plan on replacing them all very soon....do you sell the hubs as well?