Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
Do I need a Brake Controller?

I just got an airstream. 25' International 2007. I had a "Tow package" installed in my Range Rover Sport. No body told me about a brake controller. I've towed the AS about 3 times with a Sway bar and notice no problems.

However, are we supposed to have a controller?

I have been told Prodigy 2 or 3 are the ones to get. Can a layperson install them ourselves or do we need an expert? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Philip

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, you need a brake controller and it is very dangerous to tow at all without one. You have no trailer brakes as you are now set up.

Please take your Range Rover to a trailer service department and have a brake controller installed. I believe you need someone to do it for you, not a do it yourself installation, I would judge by your post.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Range Rovers are built for towing, so the vehicle electronics might well be controlling the trailer brakes, i.e a brake controller might be part of the tow package.

Check with your Land Rover garage for details.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Big safety issue that needs immediate attention. Paying a professional to properly install and adjust is money well spent.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
A brake controller activates the trailer brakes, doing so proportionally according to how fast the tow vehicle is stopping. It sends current to the electric brakes, energizing a magnet in each brake drum. If you hold a magnetic compass next to the wheel, and have someone else step on the brake, you should see movement of the compass pointer. That would at least tell you that you have brakes, and then you can find out what's activating them. No brakes - no good.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You only need trailer brakes if a situation arises and you don't have them.

That situation WILL arise.

Your trailer is equipped with brakes, it behooves you to make sure they are working.

Do it for your Family and fellow travelers.

This tells me it needs a controller.

Maybe not this particular one but......

Bob
Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Hooking up prodigy 2or 3 is a no brainer. When pur. make sure harness for you tv is included, then just plug in, follow inst. for settings, does not take pro. to do this.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I have a p3 it's pretty good. It tells you if the trailer is not connected, if the breakaway switch is triggered, really cool. I bought a plug and play adapter harness for my F150. They might make one for your TV. Most of the online dealers who sells the p3 also sell the wiring harness plug.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Not having your trailer brakes working in sync with the TV is a huge safety issue as everyone agrees. Once the controller is installed and properly calibrated, you will be amazed at the improvement. None the less, even if you feel you're doing fine without the trailer brakes, the wear and tear on your TV brakes and suspension will significantly shorten the life of both. Just curious, but what does a 4 wheel brake cost on a Rover?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Not just a huge safety issue but a legal issue too. In California, and I assume most other states, trailer brakes are required for trailers over a certain weight. I believe it's 1500 pounds in Calif. Something to check, for sure.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #11

2007 27' Safari FB SE
elgin , Texas
Yes, all the above is comparably true....

When it comes to the purchase price of your brake controller, do you consider how often you will be towing, what you will be towing, the safety of you towing on the roads, are you considering others family's on the road, how experienced you are towing a trailer, do you tow multiple trailers etc....

You have to consider all the variables that arrive while towing. What type of response do you want your brake controller to have at that moment....what type of delay do you want once you do your part, as the operator and push on the brake pedal....does your trailer ever lag, or push on your pickup. Do types of road surfaces effect braking? Does the trailer being loaded properly actually effect braking? How about the trailer sitting level loaded? Lots of issues to think about when towing.......

How much influence does the trailer your towing have on what your driving?

I have found a REAL solution and I have not said anything...Until now...now that I have finally put some miles on this intellihitch. I bought this thing online about a month and a half ago. I used it pulling all types of utility trailers, my diesel transport 500 gallon trailer, a bobcat and now finally had the time to take a week off and get out of here for a while....

Ill skip the trip and get down to topic....
I have to say this hitch/surge brake controller actually out performs any thing I have ever felt, or actually didn't feel...i have to say.
In town driving. Wow was it smooth. Really couldn't even tell the trailer was back there. Even had an idiot who was turning right, not put on his blinker....I'm following with a good distance, then wham brake lights. So I slam on my brakes..all ready looking for a way out... and heck.. I just stopped, dang near like the trailer wasn't there.....even felt right. No, Oh MAN we're not gonna make it feeling....
This is why I chose to say something..... On highway travel. Just the same. Smooth.........getting to the site....I put my truck in reverse and had an embankment to back down. Started down it and heck....it was a cushioned feeling...very strange....but I love this thing.
Heck I couldn't hardly enjoy my trip cause this danged ole hitch/ brake controller was now stuck in my mind.....I found myself, on the trip home driving faster and not worrying so much of stopping distances...(not good)....

I pull trailers every day nearly....so it seems....And I am impressed enough to say something about it...
This surge hitch is so effective. I have pulled loads with it ranging from 3000lbs to 14,000lbs and the feeling is always the same...The weight distribution bars I already use, slipped right in and off I went....
no setup, no thinking, just put it in receiver hitch and hook up and drive....the bad part about it is my wife has now taken it and put it on her suburban and it doesn't look like I'll be getting it back. They claim its better or easier on the animals in tow. We will see. She pulls horses around. But it will be easier to get her to pull an equipment trailer home for me on the occasion....
I cant wait till the goose-neck hitch comes out for my equipment trailers I'm always hooked onto...
It looks kinda gimicky online. But once I met up with some salesman and got my hands on it......damn this thing is impressive...(fortunate to live 7 hrs from where there based out of)
2 Ton Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Do you need a brake controller? This is like asking if you need a steering wheel for your car. Without a brake controller, you have no brakes on your trailer. Without trailer brakes, you tow vehicles brakes will be fried within 5,000 miles.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote