Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Disk brake conversion - Who is best and long term parts availability?

I am trying to make a decision about putting disk brakes on my trailer. I am tired of messing with drum brakes. However, if I am not careful I will spend $1000 and still have problems with substandard parts and parts becoming obsolete because the fly by night Chinese company decided to go out of business etc. I would like a setup that uses off the shelf car calipers and pads so I can get parts 20yrs from now.

Can anyone give me feedback on experiences you have had with different disk brake systems.

Here is a short list of trailer disk brake manufactures.

Kodiak, Tie Down, UFP, Titan, Carlisle, Dexter etc.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dexter Disc Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
... I would like a setup that uses off the shelf car calipers and pads so I can get parts 20yrs from now.

Can anyone give me feedback on experiences you have had with different disk brake systems.
Perry
My unit has the Dexter disc brake system, including brakes, E/H actuator, and axels. I have no complaints with the system as it currently stands, but I had to correct several design and installation issues that Airstream created when they installed the system.

The Dexter system does not use OEM automotive brake pads.

My personal preference is for hydraulic disc brakes, and I would not have a travel trailer with electric brakes.

Have you considered talking with some of the shops that sell and service large horse trailers in your area? They could do such a conversion. Otherwise, talk to J. D. Sanders in Alachua, Florida.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I talked to trailer parts superstore and they recommended Kodiak disk brakes and calipers with a Dexter Actuator. The guy told me the Kodiak brakes were an old Chevy design but he could not tell me what year and model they came from. This would be nice if it were true because the quality for Automotive stuff is going to be better not to mention the availability factor. These are the guys I talked to. Their prices seem to be a little better than etrailer.com

Electric, Hydraulic & Air Trailer Brakes at Trailer Parts Superstore

Perry
Old 08-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I talked to trailer parts superstore and they recommended Kodiak disk brakes and calipers with a Dexter Actuator. The guy told me the Kodiak brakes were an old Chevy design but he could not tell me what year and model they came from. This would be nice if it were true because the quality for Automotive stuff is going to be better not to mention the availability factor. These are the guys I talked to. Their prices seem to be a little better than etrailer.com

Electric, Hydraulic & Air Trailer Brakes at Trailer Parts Superstore

Perry
Our experience has shown that the Kodiak brakes with the Carlisle actuator, works the best.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well it seems that the Kodiak brakes are the way to go then.

Andy, what is it about the Carlisle Actuator that you like over the Dexter?

I did find out that the claim that the Kodiak Pads were a Chevy part is true. The models that fit the trailer are in the instructions and in their catalog.

Perry
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
If you have the aluminum wheels that were pretty much standard on that year they will not fit with the Kodiak brakes, OK with the Dexter.
Greg
Old 08-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I talked to trailer parts superstore and they recommended Kodiak disk brakes and calipers with a Dexter Actuator. The guy told me the Kodiak brakes were an old Chevy design but he could not tell me what year and model they came from. This would be nice if it were true because the quality for Automotive stuff is going to be better not to mention the availability factor.

Perry
This is the setup we use at the shop for disc brake conversions.
The pads are for a 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity without heavy duty brakes.
Napa has a part number of PD7070AR.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good job, Perry. I'd want to also check with TUSON [DIRECLINK] about their componentry and ask about the release date of their trailer brake anti-lock module (to be sure all components are working together; am assuming you are interested if for no other than FYI).

The heaviest '86 Celebrity I could find appeared to be about 3,300-lbs with driver & full fuel. Assuming a 60-40 FF/RR weight bias, that FA would have been carrying around 1,000-lbs per 14" 185-series tire. I could find no GVWR ratings, much less Axle Weight ratings.

I couldn't find the NAPA # referenced above, but did find (for light duty brakes):

RAYLOC TRu-Stop TS TS7070BM

NAPA Cross Reference is:

Buick Century 1982 - 1989
Buick Skylark 1980 - 1985
Chevrolet Celebrity 1982 - 1989
Chevrolet Citation 1980 - 1985
Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 1982 - 1989
Oldsmobile Omega 1980 - 1984
Pontiac 6000 1982 - 1990
Pontiac Phoenix 1980 - 1984

EBC Rotors has some "good looking" pads, but the question would be the change in pad size from LD to HD on the Celebrity.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Well it seems that the Kodiak brakes are the way to go then.

Andy, what is it about the Carlisle Actuator that you like over the Dexter?

Perry
Less reported trouble.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Brake Performance has LD specific choices across a range.

Gonna need to get you a G-Tech meter or similar and measure before/after braking G-forces & distances, huh?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Greg do you mean the Kodiak brake calipers will hit the inside of the rim? I assume you have had this problem? Anymore information you can share on this? I suppose I could order a kit for one wheel and see what happens and send it back if it won't fit.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@AirLA View Post
If you have the aluminum wheels that were pretty much standard on that year they will not fit with the Kodiak brakes, OK with the Dexter.
Greg
Old 08-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

EBC Rotors has some "good looking" pads, but the question would be the change in pad size from LD to HD on the Celebrity.
Looks like the part number has been updated slightly, Napa probably changed brake vendors.
HD pads will not work. They look similar, but will not fit.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
HD pads will not work. They look similar, but will not fit.

Good FYI, thanks (as I also have this on "the list").
Old 08-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I asked Kodiak to send me some CAD drawings or a 3D model so I can draw up the whole thing and see what the problem is. A spacer maybe required to make it work. I am running slightly oversize tires as it is and I am not sure how much farther out the tire can go before it hits the fender.

Andy do you have any knowledge of this problem with the calipers not fitting with the stock aluminum rims?

Perry
Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I like the concept of disk brakes however everyone that I known that has had them has had a ton of problems and had a hard time in the middle of know where getting parts. Don't get me wrong I am sure they are awesome performing but I can buy alot of 39.00 backer plates for my old traditional electric brakes.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The problem is I am going to have to replace all 4 backing plates and all 4 drums anyway so I might as well spend a little more money and get something that actually works. There is not much to go wrong other than the actuator and that can be replaced at any trailer, RV, or boat place. I can fix just about anything and I can live without brakes for a short period of time to get to where I can get parts. I have worked on drum brakes and disk brakes for about 40 yrs and I will pick disk if there is a choice for performance and maintainability. I think the weak link is the actuator. The other stuff is the same as on a car.

Maybe some of my problems will go away if I replace everything. Problems I am having now are brakes that stay on a little all the time causing overheating which leads to blown grease seals etc. Brakes that lock before others ruining tires. Uneven braking and flaky behavior in general.

Perry
Old 08-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I know Rich Luhr (airstream life) and a guy I met at north Dallas RV (airstream service center), have had brake pads to come off the back plate which then scour the rotor to trash. The pads seem so small, like a small puck.

Like I say, love.the concept but it has to work good.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Perry, I've had to install spacer shims between the hub and wheel to get the wheel to not rub the caliper. Then I had to get different lug nuts so there would be enough threads to keep the lug nuts from coming off. The new aluminum wheels, and every factory steel wheel I've tried has worked. Just not the 1970's or so aluminum wheels.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well mine is an 81 trailer. I don't know if they changed the rims at all.

Perry
Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Remember guys they use the same caliper for 10" and 12" disks. The same caliper with a 12" disk is going to be much more effective at stopping than a 10" disk. It is that whole lever arm thing. I will be using the 12" disk. The question is what was the diameter of the disk brake rotor on the Chevy?

Perry