Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The industry for trailer disk brakes seems to be driven by the boat market where corrosion is more of an issue. You can get the Kodiak calipers in stainless steel and also coated steel to resist corrosion. Can you imagine drum brakes after being exposed to salt water and then left to sit for months. I will probably use DOT5 fluid if I go with a disk brake system. DOT5 won't rot the hydraulic system like standard brake fluid. The military uses if for that reason and I have used it as well with no issues. There are alot of urban myths related to not using DOT5 but I think most of them are started by the folks that want your brake components to rot.

Perry

Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Not that it makes any difference, but does anybody know what calipers and actuator Airstream uses when they provide disc brakes as an option on new trailers?
Dan
Airstream no longer offers disc brakes for trailers.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I talked with Kodiak and they have been very helpful and easy to communicate with. They are not aware of problems with the Airstream rims but that does not mean that the problem does not exist. It would be nice to know what year AS rims are going to be a problem.

Perry
Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #32
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I talked with Kodiak and they have been very helpful and easy to communicate with. They are not aware of problems with the Airstream rims but that does not mean that the problem does not exist. It would be nice to know what year AS rims are going to be a problem.

Perry
1970 through at least 1978. I'll see if I can remember to take and post a photo here, so y'all will know if your wheel looks like *this*, you may have a problem.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #33
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have the Kodiak hub/ discs mated with a Carlisle actuator.

Both are very high uality, and stop my heavy 34 triple axle like nothing.
The pads are common off the shelf parts. Pads are very inexpensive, plentiful, available in a variety of ualitys and compounds.

I also believe AS offers this same package as an option on current year trailers.
My conversion was performed at the factory FWIW,

Now that I have used this, I will never use drums and magnets EVER again... they simply don't feel strong, or safe, not to mention the effectiveness,
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok here is a shot of one of my rims. Does this look like this rims from the 70's what won't work?

Perry

Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #35
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Ok here is a shot of one of my rims. Does this look like this rims from the 70's what won't work?

Perry

I'm afraid so. If you put the wheel on, it won't turn. It will look like you could just scrape the dirt and crud off the wheel, and it would work, but after you do that, it will look like if you just sanded the corrosion off, it would work, etc. I ended up getting shims to move the wheel out to clear the calipers. and then it was still really a close fit.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So I wonder what type of brake pads the Dexter calipers use? I think I will work on drawing up the rim and send it to Kodiak and let them take a look at it.

Perry
Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Airstream no longer offers disc brakes for trailers.
Last year I went in to the local Airstream dealer and talked to the head technician about changing over to disc brakes. He told me that properly functioning, maintained and adjusted drum brakes work as designed and will stop the trailer just fine. He went on to say that the change over is expensive and that the issue was with the actuators being used.

When Airstream first put them on trailers the actuators were really problematic and after a couple of years they changed them over to another type which likewise had some issues. He said that there were new ones out there but none had really been proven over the long run as yet. His suggestion to me was to wait until things settled down and a dependable actuator made it to the market.

Like cars, the discs are better but if the actuator is questionable I am going to wait. I find it interesting that Airstream is not offering disc brakes as an option at this time. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #38
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
So I wonder what type of brake pads the Dexter calipers use? I think I will work on drawing up the rim and send it to Kodiak and let them take a look at it.

Perry
Perry,

I have a spare set of Dexter calipers and brakes in my garage from my '07 30' S/O. Caliper part number K71-636-00 and pads K71-629-00. IIRC these are 6,000 lb. If you need any pic's or dimensions, I'll try to help.

I have gone thru a lot of brake system modifications and repairs, very long story and I have mentioned that I want to post about my .02$ that disc brake lag can and does exist, I have worked on mine to where I don't feel that I have ANY appreciable lag and my brakes are as strong as they need to be. Sorta wish a AS Guru could go for a test drive and comment. I will be posting soon hopefully with my video proof of my brake system performance, no it is not tire smoke related.

Also a clarification about the calipers, 4 pistons/caliper, fixed caliper position.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Very Interested in Your Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I will be posting soon hopefully with my video proof of my brake system performance, no it is not tire smoke related.

Gary
I am very interested in the modifications/refinements that you have made to your disc brake system. Please post them, or send me a PM.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #40
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
nickmeloy,

I just need to get a video on youtube and write up my .02$ worth. I want to be able to back it up and I hope the video will convey that visually. Something that I'd also like to share is a veteran AS'er perspective on my trailer braking.

Now what is my gmail password? I'll figure it out.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok you guys are correct that the stock aluminum rims won't work with the Kodiak calipers and disks. They sent me a drawing and I made a 3D model of the rim. If I can find a way to combine the two images and post it here I will. I also need to get permission from Kodiak on posting their drawing. It won't work.

So the Dexter calipers won't hit the rim? I don't see how the caliper could be much smaller so the offset on the actual Dexter disk must be farther back to make room for the caliper.

Here is the rim drawing. I did not have a rim without a tire so some stuff I guessed but it is close enough. All the stuff from the caliper side is correct to the degree I could measure with rulers etc.

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/AS...Rim%5B1%5D.pdf

Perry
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok I got permission from Kodiak to post their drawing. If there are any photoshop wizards out there how about overlaying the two images.

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/AS...isk-Brakes.pdf

Now all we need is a drawing from Dexter.

Perry