Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
disc vs drum brakes

I bought an 07' 25' Safari, will braking improve if I upgrade to disc brakes? How much will it improve? Necessary on a 25 footer? Need a new brake controller? If you think it is a waste on a 25' you won't hurt my feelings because I want to know. My daily driver/TV is an 05', 2wd, 3500 Dodge diesel if that helps any. Thanks, Brad. PS I was going to take it to the AS factory to have brakes installed but only if its a real improvement
Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I considered disc brakes when I replaced the axles. Consensus at the time was, yeah they are nice, but not worth the extra money unless you have money to spend.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Disc vs Drum

I have Stainless Kodiac on my 25' Safari FB/LS/SE and it is the best up grade.
I had drum on my 24' and the braking is so much better, that I would never go back too drum.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
_

. , .
the discs are a definite improvement in stopping distance (reduced by 50%) and fade...

they are easier to service with fewer moving parts....

and hub balance is LESS of an issue....

i've got 45k on the 6 discs and won't have anything else.

otoh drum brakes work and are widely used.

so i think it depends some on driving style and towing expectations and other issues....

i really really like the kodiac/actibrake combo....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hunt
I bought an 07' 25' Safari, will braking improve if I upgrade to disc brakes? How much will it improve? Necessary on a 25 footer? Need a new brake controller? If you think it is a waste on a 25' you won't hurt my feelings because I want to know. My daily driver/TV is an 05', 2wd, 3500 Dodge diesel if that helps any. Thanks, Brad. PS I was going to take it to the AS factory to have brakes installed but only if its a real improvement
Disc brakes compared to electric brakes, is not "a real improvement," it's a huge one, even for your 25 footer.

Yes the initial cost may sting, but the many miles of your towing will be far more rewarding, knowing that you have the "ultimate" in travel trailer brakes.

Towing, comfortably and with peace of mind knowing you have the best, will add many smiles to your face, and your family's too.

Maximizing safety, never needs an apology.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I considered disc brakes when I replaced the axles. Consensus at the time was, yeah they are nice, but not worth the extra money unless you have money to spend.
I couldn't disagree more, Rodney.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Disc V. Drums

IMHO, Drums have worked great for decades. However I like the idea that with discs the trailer can stop the truck. The info from the disc mfg's say they improve stopping distance by %47 to %50 and eliminate brake fade.

Do you need discs? Probably not. Should you have discs for the safty factor alone? I think so. Installed discs for your model ( I priced it earlier today.) will be in the nieghborhood of $2,800.00 thats less than the cost of minor to moderate front end damage if you don't stop in time. Pretty cheap when you look at it that way.

Today I got a cost of $1,600.00 for the parts to do it myself. I'll check other sources to see if anybody is selling it for less.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
On my 31 is is a must! I have scared a few people behind me when I have to stop quickly. It does stop quickly. I trailer is tugging on the truck. If I remember correctly. I have 27,000 lbs of stopping force on 17,000 lbs of weight. Worth thier weight in gold!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Offer still open?

Hi, I'm still open for those people wanting to get rid of those crappy drum brakes on their new Airstream trailers. If you have to have the disc brakes on your new trailer with 12" drums, UPS the new drum brakes to me, [for the UPS charge] I could use a spare set. Although there has been some problems with the new disc brakes, there is no doubt that they stop somewhat better than the drums. If you tend to overload your trailer, have a marginal tow vehicle, or like to travel fast, by all means convert to disc brakes.
Not all of us are "Airstream Millionaires" so I would advise some of you out there to wear out your drums first before spending $3,000.00 for something you Want , not Need. I don't have that kind of money in my cookie jar either. [actually I don't even have a cookie jar]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
Well that settles it, even 10-15% is worthwhile but 50% is much better than I hoped for. What about brake controllers? I would like to have a controller that will handle the tandem axle and the triple axle if I ever decide to buy a nice used 34'. I have one of those Dodge diesels that gets insanely good fuel economy so I just figured to buy the right controller and be done with it because the Dodge stays.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My Ford tow comand (tekonsha) and prodigy works well with the actibrake acuator.
You need to find out which one they are using.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
There's less to go wrong and it's much eassier to inspect discs. Get 'em!

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Cool Love those disc brakes!

I have to chime in on the vote FOR disc brake upgrades. Drums are OK for the lighter trailers, but for a 30-footer that weighs in around 7500-8500 lbs, the four 12" drum brakes seemed lame to me. I got tired of the trailer pushing me after the brakes faded on a hard stop.

The difference with discs is almost unbelievable. The trailer stops the truck, even on major (8-10%) downgrades.

I got mine at Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford TX, and can heartily recommend them if you live in that area. (I'm sure Inland RV and the Airstream factory can also do a good job on the upgrade.)

One word of caution: the OEM organic brake pads that came with our upgrade kit lasted less than 10k miles. Semi-metallic pads seem to be lasting much longer, and I've been told ceramic pads really last a long time.

We use the same Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller that we used with the drums. It works very well.

(ROBERTSUNRUS: My old drums are still at Roger Williams Airstream in a big pile with all the others. Ask David Tidmore if you can have 'em, with my compliments.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drum brakes.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	46079  

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
There's less to go wrong and it's much eassier to inspect discs. Get 'em!
They also run much more balanced than drums, resulting in less vibration, and a much better balanced hub/wheel assembly.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
one of these days they will be installed on my 34'
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
On our 23' too!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hunt
I bought an 07' 25' Safari, will braking improve if I upgrade to disc brakes? How much will it improve? Necessary on a 25 footer? ... PS I was going to take it to the AS factory to have brakes installed but only if its a real improvement
I had the AS factory upgrade the brakes on my 16' Bambi from drums to discs. As others mentioned, the quantitative difference is quite dramatic (about 50%) as is the qualitative difference - towing just has a different 'feel' when the trailer can stop the tow vehicle.

Is it 'necessary' depends on your budget, TV/TT combo, and driving habits.

There are many on the forums who are very happy with their drum brakes - they tend to have very large tow vehicles and are willing to let the tow vehicle's braking (both engine and discs/drums) do most of the work.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
In need of an education

I have been told I do not want disk brakes on my trailer because they are surge operated and a general headache when backing.
I took only a few minutes to look up Kodiak's brakes and it seems to me they are not surge actuated but electyric/hydraulic? Does that mean they have an electric pump for the hydraulic fluid that is controlled by the same type of brake controller as would be used on drums?
Sorry, I am uneducated on this as well as possibly confused.
Can someone help me out?
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you have it correct.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I am almost positive the disc brakes saved me from a collision when someone miscalculated my speed and cut me off. The distance between us narrowed fast and way too close for comfort. I was preparing mentally for impact but the rig slowed fast and hard and the only result was everything flew forward (watch those projectiles.) The brakes really grab. I know we would have hit with the drum brakes.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote