Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
I should have also noted......I had my fathers '77 31ft unti 1 year ago, and up until a year before that, it had the ExcellaVac Disc brakes. The system finally gave way, and at the time, it did not seem cost effective to put the new discs on a trailer I knew I'd be replacing.
I really miss the discs, and plan to have the new system installed this spring on our 2004 Classic Limited slideout lounge.
Again, Airstream insists only the Prodigy will work........I wonder if that's simply because that's all they've "certified" for the system? ie tested?
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #62
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko
...But now Airstream is saying the only controller approved is the Prodigy?...opinions?
approved by airstream?

they don't make any brake components, lines, controllers or actuators...

so decide which brakes and actuator ya want, then contact the folks that DO make these bits.

the factory uses dexter brakes on the line, and the service center uses kodiak for upgrades/retro fits...

actibrake makes the brains/reservoir/actuator that they use.

my unit has kodiak/actibrake and they work PERFECTLY with the ford integrated brake controller.

actibrake has had 2 revisions in the actuator and ford has tweaked the software a time or 2...

so there have been some compatibility issues and tweaks needed by others, and that's all well documented here, in other threads.

the 'tru-controller' also works with the kodiak/actibrake combo...

while the a/s service shop is good, they still don't understand how i've managed 2get 50,000 miles of trouble free braking with my combo...

which btw they 'approved', whatever that means.

so check the compatibility issues with the specific vendors.

IF you have any issues once the system is installed, it's the component makers that will sort things out.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #63
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker
FYI, A friend purchased a new Ford with the built-brake controller, I was designed to communicate with electric hardware, he had alot of major problems with this system working with his disc/Actibrake. The dealer/manufacuter was no help to him so he purchased another brand of controller. That been a year ago so perhaps Ford has address this issue since then.
Did they sync it? I had no problems with mine once it was figured out that the batteries were disconected and the thing needed to be resynced. I was not aware it was done the frst time. Otherwise I would have caught it when the problem happened. I have an 06 with the tow command and it works better than my prodigy did.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I concur with 2Air. I contacted the elect/hydraulic pump manufacturer and they provided a list of compatible controllers.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
combo...

We have a 34' and use the BrakeSmart unit without any problems, maybe that is because we have a triple axle and have more than enough brakes! I have heard that folks with single and tandem axles and the BrakeSmart unit combo had some problems.

I also know that Kodiak and Actibrake are introducing a new controller, "Direct Link" - I believe is the name. It was introduced at the RV industry trade show earlier in the month. Everything I hae heard about it is great.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I was at the Airstream factory in May and in July 2008 in route to and from PA. In May I had an issue with super grabby brakes on the trailer. I mean by barely touching the brake pedal I could nearly smoke the trailer tires. I played around with the Brakesmart controller settings and it didn't do much. However, by the time I got to the factory, brakes were working fine. Factory test drove it and didn't see anything wrong. After we left the factory, brakes worked fine for awhile but I did lose the trailer brakes once. I disconnected the coach batteries as well as the 7 pin cord and the Actibrake computer reset itself. This set seems key if you have a brake issue. The rest of the trip to PA and 2 months later back to the mothership then back to WI resulted is no problems. The factory suggested changing the brake controller to one on their list if the problem occurs again as Brakesmart is not on their list they provided me of approved controllers for with with Active Technologies ActBrake. This surprised me because I had researched it early and concluded Brakesmart was on the list. Here's the list of approved controllers from the factory as of 6-14-07: Tekonsha Prodigy/Drawtite Intella-Stop Ultra; Hayes Genesis; Tekonsha P3; Tekonsha Primus/Drawtite Intella-Stop Digital; 2006 & 2007 Ford/ does not work properly with all 2005 models; Hayes Energize XPC; Hayes Endeavor, Hayes Energize III, Hensley Tru-Control. Comment is made on the sheet that it does not work with Tekonsha Voyage, Drawtite Intella-stop, or Jordan Ultima. They say call Active Technology at 515-285-0195 if your brake controller is not listed before using with Actibrake electric/hydraulic brake system.

I saw a couple posts of Brakesmart owners that may have changed to TruControl controllers with Hydr brakes. If so, please post your results. Thanks.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #67
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
HOOKEDONCLASSICS,

As I understand, TruControl purchase the patients of the Brakesmart, the engineerining and it was redeveloped/engineered into the Tru-Control unit with new/their own specfications.

My 03 Excursion had the Brakesmart installed about 2004, it's tapped to o the master cylinder to get the pressure reading. I never once had any problem with the Brakesmart. I really like it since you never adjust the gain, the trailer brakes are applied at the pressure reading of the tow vehicle.

I did have a problem with the new (then 2004) Actibrake. After several cycles and short periods of non use, the Actibrake would go to sleep and render me with no brakes. Actibrake sent out to my Airstream dealer, the revision included a circuit board, this recall fixed the problem. No other failures were had.

Airstream in 2004 had early failures of the Actibrake too (unit going to sleep) and these units were outfitted with the same revision as mine.

I you should contact Actibrake with your serial number and see if your Actibrake could have an issue that you should be aware.

Yes, Brakesmart is not on Jacson Center's list but it's not made anymore. I never had any issue with it Brakesmart on my Excursion and still use it!

I hope you find the answer to your issue, post the resoultion.

John Baker
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Thanks John. I'll call as you suggested.

www.compassion.com

Old 07-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #69
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Good luck, JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonclassic View Post
Thanks John. I'll call as you suggested.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Drums vs. Discs?

Are you serious? There is no contest. Why do race cars use all discs? Why are they more expensive? Ask your insurance co. if it makes a diff.
I have Discs on my rig and a controller and it is as good as it gets. People that want to save money are only taking risk with their rigs. Maybe it will work out but you put alot into the AS that you bot so why do you risk it without the simple upgrade of discs? Kinda like going around on retreads eh? Don't put yourself or your property at risk, you need every advantage you can get, think of it as another form of insurance, except this is paying for the real deal, Your life and property!
Biz
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker View Post
HOOKEDONCLASSICS,

I you should contact Actibrake with your serial number and see if your Actibrake could have an issue that you should be aware.

Yes, Brakesmart is not on Jacson Center's list but it's not made anymore. I never had any issue with it Brakesmart on my Excursion and still use it!

I hope you find the answer to your issue, post the resoultion.

John Baker
John: I called Actibrake today and described my situation. They didn't think it was an issue with the computer board (2004 issue). One likely cause could have been a poor ground wire with either the TV or AS. Although I wasn't talking to their expert expert, the fellow was very knowledgable. They don't have Brakesmart on their approved controller list for the Actibrake system. They do extensive testing with various brands and the ones that they say work the best are Hayes Genesis, Prodigy and Primus/PE now pretty much in that order. They have done some testing with Hensley's TruControl with out any problems but not extensive testing yet. He did comment that the Voyager doesn't work at all with it.

So, since the Brakesmart seems to be working for me now and it sounds like that is the case for others as well, I think I will not replace anything yet. If I do, I would probably go with the Genesis based on what I know at this point. The Genesis is also the one that the factory installs. As Actibrake said, it's the one that seems to work best with the Actibrake computer.

I think Brakesmart is still available through Dr. Performance. At least it's on their website yet.

www.compassion.com

Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #72
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Hookedonclassic,

It sounds like you found someone that didn't give you the run-around.

Good luck to you, John