Old 07-12-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Sarnia , Ontario
Disc vs Drum Brakes?

I will be purchasing a New Safari SE 25SS in the next year and my question is, Do I want Drum or Disc Brakes?

Old 07-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Disk - no question about it! I had the Kodiak disk brake system installed on my 67 Caravel by the Airstream dealer in Weatherford, Tx. David Tidmore, the manager who is DTBW on this forum said that I wouldn't believe the difference and that was an understatement. I use the Prodigy brake controller and the the stopping is so controlled and precise you can't tell there is a trailer behind you. I'll never have another drum brake system after having this setup.

AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking Disc!

Thrift,

You will NOT go wrong with the Kodiak disc brake package! The function of a trailer brake is to stop - I am yet to test a braking system with as good of results stopping as the Kodiak.

My two cents.

Regards,
Henry
Old 07-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Sarnia , Ontario
Excuse my ignorance, but is the Kodiac Disc brake system a standard option from Airstream?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift
Excuse my ignorance, but is the Kodiac Disc brake system a standard option from Airstream?
Thrift,

Kodiak manufactures the disc brake system that will be used by Airstream. Visit www.kodiaktrailer.com for more information.

Regards,
Henry
Old 07-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Disc without question

We had the 34-tripple axle converted to Kodiak disc a year ago. The Airstream now has more brake power that the Excursion! We have no fade when Decending from the mountains in Colorado. It priceless to have this feeling and control!
Old 07-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Disk - no question about it! I had the Kodiak disk brake system installed on my 67 Caravel by the Airstream dealer in Weatherford, Tx. David Tidmore, the manager who is DTBW on this forum said that I wouldn't believe the difference and that was an understatement. I use the Prodigy brake controller and the the stopping is so controlled and precise you can't tell there is a trailer behind you. I'll never have another drum brake system after having this setup.
Paul:

Did you substitute the dics brakes for the original drum brakes on your existing axle? Or did you buy a new axle with the disc brake set up installed on it? What axle are you running under your '67 Caravel, original or a replacement axle? Thanks for more details.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Paul:

Did you substitute the dics brakes for the original drum brakes on your existing axle? Or did you buy a new axle with the disc brake set up installed on it? What axle are you running under your '67 Caravel, original or a replacement axle? Thanks for more details.
Hi Fred - I ordered a new axle last fall from Inland with the drum brakes. It is the 3,000# factory replacement which had 10" drum brakes. The axle was already installed and I had probably 1,000 miles on it when it was converted. The conversion was pretty straight forward as far as I know. I saw the installation going in and there weren't any modifications required. They (Roger Williams Airstream) installed new bearings and seals with the new rotors. The pump and reservoir are located in the coach under the front seating area next to the water pump. I didn't have to change the wheels or anything else. The first trip out was a few weeks ago to Cuchara, CO and then to Padre Island here in Texas over the 4th weekend. Through all of those miles and differing driving conditions I never had to mess with the adjustment on the Prodigy - it is set at 6.1. I've had to brake hard a time or two and the brakes responded as smoothly as the tow vehicles brakes. No grabbing or anything. Interestingly enough, the Caravel has enough brake power to stop 4 Caravels. According to David, the brakes are rated at 6,000# ea.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Old 07-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
disks versus drums

Hi All
Has anyone converted over to the 12" Kodiak disk brakes and used the Alcoa slotted mag wheels from the 70's? I have done the change, and am not finished with the plumbing yet but I ran into some clearance issues with the mags rubbing on the calipers.
I tried some steel wheels I had and they have plenty of clearance. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this.
I am really looking forward to having them finished and working.
Thanks
Mike B
1996 F350 CC PSD
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:15 PM   #10
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Wheels

Mike B,

I can't help with your issue however my 34' came from the factory with 15" American Racing wheels so fit had already been addressed.

Over the years, I have had peridoic fit/clearance problems with cars, playing with tires sizes has backfired on me so anything with wheels would be fair game for a good fit.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Question Wheels, wheels, wheels?!

This thread is developing quite nicely.

The Kodiak specifications for the “Airstream” style disc brakes (5200#-6000# capacity) specify a 15” or larger wheel will work. Mike’s wheels were 15” and he still had a slight rub. This to me shows that variations can exist amongst 15” wheels (different per wheel manufacturer). Like Mike, I am curious about the older Airstream style wheels as well.

Regards,

Henry
Old 07-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
Paradise , Texas
Maybe there is a slight difference in the offset of the wheel hub. I know when I was ordering new wheels for the Caravel there were some choices of offset.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Old 07-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Like Paul, I'm also having the Kodiak disk brakes installed at the Weatherford, TX dealer. If anyone is considering a new unit or any kind of work I'd highly recommend them. David Tidmore and his team does outstanding quality work. They're doing some custom work for me & I'll post some pics in a few weeks when it's all done.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:38 PM   #14
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Vented Kodiaks

My Kodiaks disc are vented, are all Kodiaks vented?