Old 07-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I installed disc brakes on my 1963 Overlander, and the stock steel wheels from my 1971 Airstream fit fine, no rubbing. I am, however, running Dexter's disc brake setup, not Kodiak. I am not sure if the interference is the same Dexter vs. Kodiak.
I have no practical experience yet, since I have not towed the beast yet. Can't wait to give it a test, though.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Maybe there is a slight difference in the offset of the wheel hub. I know when I was ordering new wheels for the Caravel there were some choices of offset.
Paul,
The Alcoa's have a half inch positive offset. If you look at the wheels they are massive as far as thickness is concerned, much more than most modern wheels that I have seen.
Thanks for the feedback and like those that have already done the change I am looking forward to the increased braking that will be available.
Thanks again
Mike

1996 F350 CC PSD
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:23 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Unhappy I think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker
My Kodiaks disc are vented, are all Kodiaks vented?
John Baker,

To the best of my knowledge all of the Kodiak rotors, both integral and non-integral, are vented.

Regards,

Henry
Old 07-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #18
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Like Paul, I'm also having the Kodiak disk brakes installed at the Weatherford, TX dealer. If anyone is considering a new unit or any kind of work I'd highly recommend them. David Tidmore and his team does outstanding quality work. They're doing some custom work for me & I'll post some pics in a few weeks when it's all done.
I don't mind giving credit where credit is due and Jim is correct, the level of quality is unmatched. While I was having the Kodiac system installed they also installed a Dometic A/C with the remote thermostat, a new electrical service box and a new copper feed line to the A/C. They also changed out a couple of dented exterior sheet metal panels and the front curbside banana wrap. The work was done in a timely manner, nothing was damaged and the attention to detail made a finished product that could pass for being factory. And the icing on the cake was daily updates on what was being done and actually being encouraged to come into the shop and view the progress. That to me is red carpet treatment.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Thrift,

Kodiak manufactures the disc brake system that will be used by Airstream. Visit www.kodiaktrailer.com for more information.

Regards,
Henry
I understand in 2006 disc brakes will be standard on Classics, does anybody know how much the upgrade to disc brakes will be on the non-Classic Airstreams will be?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking My two cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I understand in 2006 disc brakes will be standard on Classics, does anybody know how much the upgrade to disc brakes will be on the non-Classic Airstreams will be?
Minnie's Mate,

I do not know what Airstream would charge for the conversion on a new coach (non Classic).

However I do know that Kodiak has a disc brake system available (as a retrofit) for almost any Airstream ever manufactured. These can be purchased as a kit to be installed by a dealer or a retail customer. I can tell you also that I have had many dealings with the folks at Kodiak and that they are top shelf. They offer many product offerings instead of a “one size fits all” approach. Quality is excellent. Availability has never been a problem. They also stand behind the product and offer excellent customer support.

The only negative that could be pointed out is price. I feel that the price is in line but the cost of the conversion may have a bit of “shock value” to the average individual. However if you really look at the complete picture, over time, the price is not actually a negative.

My two cents.

Regards,

Henry
Old 07-16-2005, 05:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Current Article

This month's (August, 2005) issue of TrailerLife Magazine has a good article on brake controller and disk brake compatibility.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

.................Maybe this is a personal question , but I'd be interested in the Actual cost of the Kodiak disc brake conversion kit for any 2 or 3 axle trailer and then the labor cost to install ?? Would really help in making budget choices and I'm sure that Dexter has the same parts available to make a conversion as well . thanks , r66
Old 07-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66
.................Maybe this is a personal question , but I'd be interested in the Actual cost of the Kodiak disc brake conversion kit for any 2 or 3 axle trailer and then the labor cost to install ?? Would really help in making budget choices and I'm sure that Dexter has the same parts available to make a conversion as well . thanks , r66
Roger Williams Airsteam in your home town Weatherford could give you a quote. Call and ask for David Tidmore. Good luck on your search.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

................Thanks . I found the TL article and it quoted an installed price of $2150 . A three axle trailer would obviously be more equipment and more labor probably close to 3k or so . thanks , r66
Old 07-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The price I was asking for was for a factory installation not a retrofit of a new coach. Has anyone purchased a new coach with the factory installed upgrade. It is my understanding that Airstream offers disc brakes as a standard upgrade on all of their coaches and as standard equipment on the Classics.

I, too, read the Trailer Life article on disc brakes and compatibility of trailer brake controlers. I have an '05 F-250 with the factory installed trailer brake controler and tow/haul package and according to the chart it is compatible with all of the disc brake systems except one...and that is probably the one that Airstream uses as the factory installed system. However, according to the notes that system is being upgraded to be compatible with the Ford system.

Does anybody know who makes the system that Airstream installs at the factory. Kodiak wasn't listed in the chart so I assume that Kodiak is the brand name and not the manufacturer's name.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #26
_

. , .
i like 'em!

minnie

here's a link regarding the tow command and disc brakes.....read in your f250's owners manual for the exact reference.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...3&page=1&pp=20

anyway my tube was one of the early classics with the disc upgrade....maybe the first tri axle since it was built in march and my order was placed the first week the option was made available in early february. i've towed several thousand miles with the system now and it's great. the disc brakes have performed very well without any adjustments to the brake controller after the initial setup. no true emergency/panic stops (thank goodness) but i have made some "urgent" stops and the truck stops better with the trailer in tow than without.

i'll be at the factory in 2 weeks for some minor coach repairs and will have the hubs/bearings/brakes inspected while there.....i'm curious to know if the brake pads will wear more on the front than the 2nd/3rd axle....or uniformly.

for anyone considering the disc option.....if you can afford it go for it.....if you can't afford it......skip the stereo/entertainment option and get the discs.

having said that, the drum brake airstreams have stopped reliably for many years....so i'm not sure i'd pay for a retro fit on a newer coach....unless already needing some replacement brake bits.

i'm sure any dealer can tell you what the price is.....it should be printed on the 2006 order sheet.....i'd guess it's 2500-3500 and worth every penny.

cheers
2air'
Old 07-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking Yes Kodiak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Does anybody know who makes the system that Airstream installs at the factory. Kodiak wasn't listed in the chart so I assume that Kodiak is the brand name and not the manufacturer's name.
Minnie’s Mate,

Kodiak ™ is manufactured by Kodiak Trailer Components. They will provide the rotors, calipers, etc…

The Actibrake electric/hydraulic actuator is manufactured by Active Technologies ™.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Henry
Old 08-01-2005, 11:04 AM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Do it yourself or have it done?

Is the disk brake upgrade a reasonable do it yourself project or is it best to hire it out? (assuming average skills)

Rodney