Old 11-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Yes, I've been using the old ones for ten years. I wouldn't even machine them unless there is damage or severe warping. I don't think they were considered expendable like modern automotive rotors that you change every or every other time.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I'm resurrecting this thread again as I need advice from those of you who still have the original Ausco brakes on your late 70s Airstreams. My brakes are working just fine and I have the Carlisle actuator and new axles installed by Inland that are also working just fine. However, since then there has been an annoying rattle coming from the trailer while driving. I've been narrowing down potential causes of the rattle like the awning arms, LPG regulator, metal flag poles, and I've been underneath the trailer more than once looking for anything that could be causing the rattle. It is definitely a metal rattle and the faster I go and the bumpier the road the more prominent the rattle is. It appears that when I apply the trailer brakes the rattle goes away. Bumps in the road accentuate the rattling. Like I said, I've been under the trailer and have looked at the running gear and nothing appears loose. Is it possible that the brake pads and/or clevis pins could be making the noise? I understand the brake pads make slight contact with the rotor when the brakes are not applied and appear to just float in there. The clevis pins definitely are not snug but I would not think they could be responsible for the rattle? Do any of you have a similar noise? I only towed the trailer one time before replacing the axles and the actuator and I was not listening for any rattle and don't recall hearing one. It may not be the brakes at all but just thought I would ask if the trailer is supposed to be quiet when towing or if rattles are common?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sounds like pad rattle. I have it on my Dexter discs. Won't cause any issue, but is irritating.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
After looking at the Ausco brake assembly diagram and talking to Andy at Inland I got under my trailer to check out my brakes. dznf0g is right that the brake pads do rattle. The clevis pins are there and the brake pads are properly attached but there is quite a bit of play which causes the rattle on all 8 pads. I also noticed that all 4 brake housings also have a little play in them where it attaches to the mounting bracket assembly. The mounting bracket assembly has two large studs that hold the housing and my guess is that the sleeves may be slightly worn. There was no indication that the pins were loose or broken on the assemblies but I didn't pull any of the tires to know for sure. Since all 4 assemblies have the same amount of play I didn't feel the need to mess with pulling the wheels especially since they were taken apart and replaced less than a year ago when the new axles were installed. I had to push hard to get the housings to move but road vibration I am sure causes them to rattle too.

The brake pads are probably upwards of 10 years old and appear to have 90% left. I ordered a set from Andy to have on hand just in case. Because the trailer sat for so long, the rotors were no longer shiny. After 2500 miles on the new axles, the shine is returning. All the rotors look great with no grooves. It appears all 8 pads are working and there are no brake fluid leaks and no signs of cracks in the housings. I feel much better about embarking on my 2500 mile trip to Utah and Arizona in a few days.