Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
You might also check for a loose wheel bearing on that wheel.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, now that we have a little more information about your brake system, I can give you some more advice. OK so you have fixed, four piston, calipers. Your pads still need to slide in, with the pressure of the pistons, and relax when the pressure is off. You still need to lube the area where the pads move and make sure they don't fit too tight in the calipers so as to be stuck. There is a very slight possibilty that this one caliper still had air in it. This could make un-even pressure. Hard to move or corroded pistons could cause this too. As for the rotor. Maybe it can still be turned within minimum specs, but being thinner will make it heat up quicker.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, from your pictures, the pads are held in place and need to move freely on the center pin and on the straight ends of the pads where they fit into the calipers. These three places need to be lubed and be able to move without binding.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
DEITZ645

Something that might help.

We initially had a lot of problems with overheating brakes. When I checked each wheel, after they'd cooled down, the outer disc pads were free (would rattle on locating pin) but the inner pads were tight on the disc. I thought it was the brake actuator not releasing brake fluid pressure, but the problem was the inner pistons. I tried levering the pad off the disc to push the pistons back in the bores, but they wouldn't move.

So, either the pistons were bottoming out in the bores or the disc was too far inboard. Eventually the inner pads lost some thickness and stopped binding.

Even today the inner pistons will only push back 1/16" while the outer will push back 1/4" or more.

Had I not kept a constant check on wheel temperature, I feel we also would have lost the inner pads.

In my opinion, the rotors are not central in the caliper. I can't alter that -
Dexter can.

Best of luck.

John in the UK
Old 07-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Thanks To All

Everybody,
Thank you so much for you help and advice. I will take them all into consideration when rebuilding and assembing the brakes again.

I do have one question; What kind of lubricant do you use on the pad backing plates and calipers to keep them moving freely within the caliper?

I also have an observation; When I pulled the wheel and the locator pin the inboard pad came out very easily, but the destroyed outboard pad was a bugger to get out. When I put it all back together I will make sure that all eight pads are lubed and move freely within their "sockets".
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Have used Hi-temp Antisieze in the past with pretty good results, but any lube will attract dirt which only causes problems. Keeping them clean and inspecting frequently is probably just as good an option. You can open up the clearences a LITTLE with a file or die grinder if you can put up with a little rattle. (Somtimes needed if the pad backing plates are painted or powdercoated.)

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
One Step Closer To Having Brakes Again

Well my parts from Dexter arrived earlier this week and this evening I rebuilt the calipers.

Tools used: rubber mallet, rawhide mallet, fiber drift, air compressor, bar clamps, aluminum plate, and silicone lube.

The caliper rebuild kit came with 4 seals, four dust boots, a brass connector for the brake hose, and a new bleed valve.

Here is the new rotor

The new brake pads and hardware

I began by cleaning the calipers, bores and pistons

I then used the silicone lube to lightly lube the seals and wokred them into the recesses that hold them.

I then used the rubber and rawhide mallets to seat the pistons in the bores.

Next I used the aluminum plate, bar clamps, and air compressor to exercise the pistons to make sure they were moving freely.

Then I lubed the dust boots and used the fiber drift and rawhide hammer to seat the dust boots in the caliper.

Here is one of the finished calipers ready for installation.

I ran out of daylight so this is all the further I got. We are headed to Penn Wood tomorrow for a Margaritaville Rally so the rest of this chore will have to wait until next week. I will post details of the install and brake bleeding. Hopefully this will be the last of my brake woes on the '06

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote