Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Disc Brake Conversion Question

Hello,
I have a (new to me) 1991 34' Excella. Sometime in the past few years, the PO had a Kodiak disc brake conversion performed by the factory. It is amazing! I have never felt a trailer of any type stop with the authority that my Excella does! I can't imagine pulling without discs on a trailer ever again!

My query is this....

Upon investigating the owners manual, and all of the additional owners manuals, and other misc. literature, I find manuals and installation instructions for as many as 3 different actuators. ActiBrake, Carlisle, and some Chinese thing. I have what appears to be a brand new Carlisle 1600 installed currently.

Do you think the PO was crazy enough to simply try all 3 until he found one he liked? Is there a problem with each of these and had failures. leading him down this path of trial and error?

As I become intimate with my coach, I am learning he threw copious amounts of money into this AS, (yahoooo!) as evidenced by its condition, and function.

I can see trying certain products until you get it right, but brake actuators?

As far as I know, a pump is a pump!

What do you think? I really like the Carlisle. Seems very well engineered, and built.... I'm happy with his choice!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Hello,
I have a (new to me) 1991 34' Excella. Sometime in the past few years, the PO had a Kodiak disc brake conversion performed by the factory. It is amazing! I have never felt a trailer of any type stop with the authority that my Excella does! I can't imagine pulling without discs on a trailer ever again!

My query is this....

Upon investigating the owners manual, and all of the additional owners manuals, and other misc. literature, I find manuals and installation instructions for as many as 3 different actuators. ActiBrake, Carlisle, and some Chinese thing. I have what appears to be a brand new Carlisle 1600 installed currently.

Do you think the PO was crazy enough to simply try all 3 until he found one he liked? Is there a problem with each of these and had failures. leading him down this path of trial and error?

As I become intimate with my coach, I am learning he threw copious amounts of money into this AS, (yahoooo!) as evidenced by its condition, and function.

I can see trying certain products until you get it right, but brake actuators?

As far as I know, a pump is a pump!

What do you think? I really like the Carlisle. Seems very well engineered, and built.... I'm happy with his choice!
Actibrake had what seemed to be a good unit, until it was modified, that contained apparent issue, then the company went out of business.

We have been using Carlisle's unit, with very good results. They too, had a recall, but it was of a minor issue.

Dexter's unit does not seem to be doing very well with trailer manufacturers as well as owners.

Andy

Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Actibrake was original equipment from Jackson Center for a while. Actibrake went out of business. My Actibrake never acted up but was replaced due to no support. I currently have the Carlisle.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote